Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

It's hilarious how many FSX:SE advocates come unhinged when an FSX:MS user states they can't see a reason to switch.

While some of what you have described has occurred, it it nonetheless true that many of the alleged "reasons" are based on completely false information. That and that alone sets my teeth on edge.

There are many rational and legitimate reasons why any individual can make reasoned decisions. However, when the "reasons" being cited are either outright fabrications or at best simple misunderstandings, I'm going to point that out. While it may not have any effect on that person's decision, at the very least it will point to the fallacy such that other readers may well be led to re-examine the logic of their decision-tree.

Simmer will also need an on-line connection to run FSX-Steam.

Those are my primary reasons for not switching.

Here is a perfect example of what I just wrote.

As of just a few days ago, the above is no longer true. One may run FSX:SE without any connection to the internet. It remains true that one must have an internet connection to purchase, download, and install FSX:SE, but afterwards no more connection is required.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No, anyone is allowed to make nominations for non-existent awards. I was being facetious...

Oops, non-existent?  I would win the contest anyway... :ph34r:

As a long time business person myself. It wasn't a comparable point. PMDG commercial airliners & RealAir GA airplanes are like comparing the cost of a real twin engine GA to the cost of a Boeing 777. If you tried to sell the twin, for the cost of the 777, what do you think the effect on your sales would be? Obviously, the hours to recreate a simulation of a fully functioning 777 will be much more than a twin Duke................wouldn't you think?

It is a very comparable point.

If RealAir attempted to sell its TurbineDukeV2 sell at the same price (€ 32.95) as the PMDG 777-200LR/F Base Package ($89.99) the market its sales would plummet. It's the market that deterrmines its selling price - not its cost.

FSX Steam Pilot:  Hey guys i took the plunge,  Im now flying higher and faster with FSX steam edition, come on guys,  jump in,  its the only way to go!!

FSX Pilot:   what are you talking about,  Fake pilot person?

FSX Steam Pilot:    No more Ooms, much better performance,  im running 101  Ad On's  at 80 FPS,  Everything maxed out!!

FSX Pilot:    Absolute nonsense!

FSX Steam Pilot:   Honestly,  and i run it all on a 9 year old laptop,  amazing altogether, you might even say its  Steam-Tastic

FSX Pilot:    "Steam-Tastic"  This is absurd altogether

FSX Steam Pilot:   No really,  Dovetail are going to upgrade Steam edition to 64 Bit

FSX Pilot:   STOP TALKING RIGHT NOW,  YOU ABSOLUTE MANIAC!!

Milk Dairy Farmer:  Would you's all just please fu@@ off out of my Farm,  and take your girly computers with ya   :P

As of just a few days ago, the above is no longer true. One may run FSX:SE without any connection to the internet. It remains true that one must have an internet connection to purchase, download, and install FSX:SE, but afterwards no more connection is required.

Bill, thanks for the update.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

FSX Steam Pilot:  Hey guys i took the plunge,  Im now flying higher and faster with FSX steam edition, come on guys,  jump in,  its the only way to go!!

FSX Pilot:   what are you talking about,  Fake pilot person?

FSX Steam Pilot:    No more Ooms, much better performance,  im running 101  Ad On's  at 80 FPS,  Everything maxed out!!

FSX Pilot:    Absolute nonsense!

FSX Steam Pilot:   Honestly,  and i run it all on a 9 year old laptop,  amazing altogether, you might even say its  Steam-Tastic

FSX Pilot:    "Steam-Tastic"  This is absurd altogether

FSX Steam Pilot:   No really,  Dovetail are going to upgrade Steam edition to 64 Bit

FSX Pilot:   STOP TALKING RIGHT NOW,  YOU ABSOLUTE MANIAC!!

Milk Dairy Farmer:  Would you's all just please fu@@ off out of my Farm,  and take your girly computers with ya   :P

P3D Pilot: Peons! P3D is the way to go! It looks FIFTY TIMES better, and it has DX11...so it must be better!

FSX and SE Pilots: P3D is just another ESP mutant like ourselves. Let's see FSX and P3D side-by-side.

P3D Pilot: Done! Can you see how much better it looks?

FSX Pilot: That looks just like FSX. But with more shadows.

P3D Pilot: EXACTLY! Fifty times better. (drinks some red Kool-Aid).

FSX:SE Pilot: What a complete waste of money. Four years of development and it still OOM's. I can run everything, max sliders, FlyTampa, PMDG this and that, ORBX EVERYTHING, fly around the world, and land with a 1GB of VAS left. Case closed! (Takes a swig of red Kool-Aid).

FSX Pilot: You are just full of it. Listen. I know you guys each want to justify your purchases and think P3D and FSX:SE are doing the impossible, but let's face it. You are all just running another copy of FSX. I don't see any reason to switch whatsoever. Mostly because I'm set in my ways and don't remember where I kept all my 1,000 payware installation files.

FS9 Pilot: What a complete joke.

It's $4.99 this weekend.  Many people have stated that it runs better than FSX.  My question is why not try it out.  If it doesn't suit your fancy, then no foul.  Now if it was still $29.99, then I wouldn't even be in this thread...but $4.99?

<------is downloading se right now.

My question is why not try it out.

1. Because there is nothing wrong with the way my MS FSX is running.

2. Because it would take hours to get both to be equal in 3rd party add-ons in order to make a comparison.

2. Because it would take hours to get both to be equal in 3rd party add-ons in order to make a comparison.

Not true. As long as your SCENERY.CFG is set with full pathnames so you can use it in both FSX and FSX-SE, and similarly for the SimObjects paths in the FS CFG file, and you simply copy over your Gauges, Sounds and Effect folders, and you copy over your EXE.xml and DLL,xml files (only setting Disabled TRUE for those not yet compatible -- which is not many!), then pretty much everything which worked in FSX is the same in FSX-SE. 

That's what I did. Not "hours", less than one hour! That was when FSX-SE was first released, before Xmas, and I've never looked back!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Let's  say this was an update released by Microsoft(for argument's sake) and not FSX- SE(which is pretty much an updated version) , I'm very curious what most people would say. Certainly not,  

No thanks my FSX is running fine?........... I don't think so.  

This thread would deserve attention by sociologists as perfect example as to how many people form their own opinions based on bias.

Actually that was just a Beta version that hasn't gone live yet, and has since been pulled. They said they may have another Beta on Thursday (just past), but has since postponed that til April. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have FSX-SE but it will probably be for my next computer or if I am forced to re-format my present HD. Right now, it is a great entry point for new comers which no longer have the box option available. For those of us for which FSX-MS has worked, why switching since it is not an update. I am happy to see/have FSX-SE for all of us to enjoy and to continue our hobby. I'm not in any hurry that's for sure. A big plus that I see with FSX-SE is that it helps a lot of people who have difficulties installing FSX-MS. At least it gets many people through the installation of the program so everybody should be in the ballpark easier now. On top, FSX-SE can only get better cause if not, FSX-MS (box) will always be there to set things straight, back again. So far I am also okay with Dovetail/Steam.

Cheers,

Let's  say this was an update released by Microsoft(for argument's sake) and not FSX- SE(which is pretty much an updated version) , I'm very curious what most people would say. Certainly not,  

No thanks my FSX is running fine?........... I don't think so.  

Would the update require a 3rd party software program install?

Would the update cost me any $?

Would the update require me to re-install software that is not part of my scenery.cfg, copy over and edit files, and wait for 3rd party add ons to be updated?

Would the update break certain add-ons, that I still to this day, not be able to use?

Just because something is the latest and greatest, doesn't mean it is it best deal for everyone.