Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

NGX P3D performance on 4790k & GTX970

I know it's been asked a lot, I apologise, but I'll be more specific here. Anybody with 4790k & GTX970 using NGX for P3Dv2? How is the performance, FPS? Are you using it regularly and enjoying it? Any crashes, OOMs?

I recently switched to P3D but I don't want to make the same mistake I'm doing every time I move to newer version of FS.. I just begin to enjoy smooth FS experience (my FSX is now perfectly smooth) than something new comes along (P3D), I switch and than find myslef in the same low FPS, stuttering mess all over again. So far P3D is performing nicely apart from microstutters  which could be eliminated with the working 1/2 refresh rate sync (some day, I hope). With GA planes that is since I currently don't have any airliners for P3D. Since NGX is not cheap at all I want to be sure I'll be using it and not shelving it because it performs badly.

4790K Gtx 780 here. No overclock.

I went back to FSX. P3D 2.5 Performance was atrociously unacceptable for me, overclocked or not. I hope future releases will align better with my expectations, but I'm not holding my breath, it needs to be laid to rest, and a new platform developed.

So FSX it is for now for my NGX, until substantial improvements in P3D are delivered or PMDG release the NGX for xplane, whichever comes first and performs best.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

Go in our Prepar3d.cfg make sure you have OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 its magic, with my 2600k and asus gtx 970 i have a steady 30fps at fly tampa CYYZ.

Michel Paradis

I went back to FSX. P3D 2.5 Performance was atrociously unacceptable for me, overclocked or not. I hope future releases will align better with my expectations, but I'm not holding my breath, it needs to be laid to rest, and a new platform developed.

So FSX it is for now for my NGX, until substantial improvements in P3D are delivered or PMDG release the NGX for xplane, whichever comes first and performs best.

Brian Nellis

Did you actually use the NGX in P3Dv2?  I have an ancient i7-2700K oc to 4.8 Ghz and a GTX980 and the NGX for P3D performs fine for me, with the correct setting of Affinity mask, FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION=0.01 and OPTIMIZED_PARTS=1, at FSDT CYVR I have 25 FPS and smooth flying, no stutters.  Mind you I also use 2560x1600 resolution as well for my Dell 30" monitor, so for lower resolution it's possible to have 30 FPS locked and smooth.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Did you actually use the NGX in P3Dv2?  I have an ancient i7-2700K oc to 4.8 Ghz and a GTX980 and the NGX for P3D performs fine for me, with the correct setting of Affinity mask, FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION=0.01 and OPTIMIZED_PARTS=1, at FSDT CYVR I have 25 FPS and smooth flying, no stutters.  Mind you I also use 2560x1600 resolution as well for my Dell 30" monitor, so for lower resolution it's possible to have 30 FPS locked and smooth.

There's probably quite a difference between 4.0 vs. 4.8 GHZ and 780 vs. 980.

I'm already using the above tweaks so I'm fine there. I'd like to be sure if my system can handle NGX in a way I can enjoy using it. If I'll get 15-20 FPS I'm absolutely sure I won't be able to do that. On the other hand 24-30 would be ok.

I know it's been asked a lot, I apologise, but I'll be more specific here. Anybody with 4790k & GTX970 using NGX for P3Dv2? How is the performance, FPS? Are you using it regularly and enjoying it? Any crashes, OOMs?

I recently switched to P3D but I don't want to make the same mistake I'm doing every time I move to newer version of FS.. I just begin to enjoy smooth FS experience (my FSX is now perfectly smooth) than something new comes along (P3D), I switch and than find myslef in the same low FPS, stuttering mess all over again. So far P3D is performing nicely apart from microstutters  which could be eliminated with the working 1/2 refresh rate sync (some day, I hope). With GA planes that is since I currently don't have any airliners for P3D. Since NGX is not cheap at all I want to be sure I'll be using it and not shelving it because it performs badly.

I currently have an I7 4790K with GTX970, P3DV2.5 and it runs great (no overclock on either), I have all settings to the right and car traffic set at 35%.

I had FSX and I would get mini stutters with the same settings but with P3D its smooth as butter.  I have FSDreamteam KORD with UT2, with NGX or PMDG777 I get 25-27 FPS on the ground, I have the limit set to 30 FPS.  The sim runs soo good, I don't know how others have complaints on this.  I have no tweaks either.

O'Hare is my hardest impact airport too by the way.  I have the following Add-Ons too (most that can run on a network computer are).

ASN

Texture Direct (REX)

FSDreamteam KORD, KLAS and KLAX

Flightbeam KIAD and KDEN

Aivilsoft EFB

I am close with my i7-4770K@4,6GHZ and a EVGA780SC. So far it runs super smooth down to 21fps and even acceptable down to 18fps. 1920x1200 here.

I can undock FMC,PFD,ND to 2 other screens losing 6 fps and still stay above 20 fps all the time. Flytampa EKCH is at 27-30 fps with these settings .So amazing in my opinion.

The T7 has even better performance on my system all though CYYZ Flytampa on Approach can go down to 20 fps. 

P3D is much much smoother than FSX even with unlimited FPS

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I'm on a 4770K at 4.6 GHz and a GTX 780. I have 30+ fps in the NGX even on complex add-on airports. The only airports where fps drops below 30 fps are the typical "horror" airports like Aerosoft EGLL, Drzewiecki KJFK, etc. In the air, I always have 40+ fps. Only heavy clouds can reduce that to 20+ fps. But like Michael said, P3D is almost smooth even when fps drop down to 20 fps. Only below 20 fps it becomes really stuttery. But still much less stuttery than when FSX drops below 20 fps. So bottom-line is: The NGX works very very nice in P3D!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Well something surely must be wrong with my setup.

Yeah I purchased and flew the ngx in p3d, mediocre to low settings, no traffic. Tried a combination of tweaks and video configs that were available, except OPTIMIZED_PARTS=1, which is new to me. performance was always degraded. Im not going to return to p3d though. FSX continues to serve me very well. All this on a fresh install of windows and by extension, a fresh install of p3d. (not installed in x86 folder).

Im glad this thread exists btw. There were limited search returns when I was looking for guidance from users with the ngx/p3d combo and similar hardware.

Kudos to Tomaz!

Brian Nellis

Ps. In p3d FPS were (with orbx AU/ML/BN, ASN, REX4 and NGX installed - nothing else)

lowest fps of 25 at gate C7, YMML - preflight NOT complete.

lowest fps of 22 at gate C7, preflight completed.

I tested at dusk time, when performance is hit the most. Everything was glitch and notchy up to and below cruise alt. Very inconvienient when doing touch and go's.

Brian Nellis

I haven't activated this "Optimize Parts=1" config trick yet, but PMDG 737NGX performance in P3D v2.4 on my i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz/2GB GeForce GTX 770/16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR3-1600 RAM powered system is very good.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Brian Nellis

I also have a 4790k with a gtx780 I'm running a modest OC of 4.4 no HT. The one and only cfg setting I use is the Optimize_Parts=1

My graphic settings are set very high but I keep my autogen settings mid level. While using the NGX,Orbyx and ASN, I get frames in the 36-44 range without traffic and 28-36 range with traffic. The sim runs very smooth but you do and always will see the odd micro stutter.

People always mention cpu's and gpu's, ram is also a very important factor that shouldn't be neglected in a build.

I followed this  guide by NickN to set my system up and found it very helpful and easy to understand. He really explains things well and tells you why you are doing things.  I was and am very happy with the results.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

It can seem daunting at times, but your hardware is very capable of running P3Dv2 at a very acceptable level. It's worth the time and patience.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Yup, 4790K no OC with GTX750Ti. Nothing fancy but it works very well.I run NI frame rate lock at 35 and right now my NGX is enroute KHOU-KLAX right at 35 fps.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm on a 4770K at 4.6 GHz and a GTX 780. I have 30+ fps in the NGX even on complex add-on airports. The only airports where fps drops below 30 fps are the typical "horror" airports like Aerosoft EGLL, Drzewiecki KJFK, etc. In the air, I always have 40+ fps. Only heavy clouds can reduce that to 20+ fps. But like Michael said, P3D is almost smooth even when fps drop down to 20 fps. Only below 20 fps it becomes really stuttery. But still much less stuttery than when FSX drops below 20 fps. So bottom-line is: The NGX works very very nice in P3D!

Same PC spec as myself the NG works great. I fly into aerosofts EGLL a lot, night and day, FPS are locked at 30 and stay there even at that airport. I can get a drop to 24-26 fps if i turn over the middle of the city but that's it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Same PC spec as myself the NG works great. I fly into aerosofts EGLL a lot, night and day, FPS are locked at 30 and stay there even at that airport. I can get a drop to 24-26 fps if i turn over the middle of the city but that's it.

But I am on 5910x1080 in NVidia Surround + a fourth monitor for 2D pop-up gauges. That reduces frames by approx. 6-8 fps compared to a single monitor setup. With a single monitor I can also maintain 30 fps at Aerosoft's EGLL. So I guess the performance on our systems is comparable.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT