Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

VAS comments by Beau

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Interesting, indeed.

I wonder if deleting these files or replacing them with dummy files will decrease the VAS consumption and, if it does, to what degree.

I personally don't have many problems with VAS, but it is nice to see that they are looking into these things.

Interesting indeed! Thanks Vic. Just need someone whose handy with image manipulation to resize the "stubs"...please and thanks.

+1 Well spotted and thanks for posting this little snippet Vic.

Thanks for posting this very informative.

Steve.

Thanks for posting Vic, explains a few VAS issues I was having with oceans.

Cheers, Rob.

I think Rich S. is going to volunteer for the job ... Rich??  :)

Cheers, Rob.

+1 Rob. I think that Rich has WAY too much time on his hands!  :P

If these ocean texture files are loaded and not used, what about other texture files related to scenery ? It is a step in the right direction, but I'd be interested to know from others whether this will impact a scenario where you are loaded up at London Heathrow for example? Will ocean files load up in this scenario too or only when the ocean scenery is within LOD range?

Interesting. I would also point folks to the pinned topic on optimizing and mipmapping textures. Let me tell you that has also made a huge difference for me. FSDreamteam KLAX, for example, has always been a major VAS hog. Several of the texture files were over 12,000 kb. After compressing and optimizing, these files are now 5000 kb or less and downsized to 1024 px. Now I have no VAS issues flying into KLAX in the NGX. I have plenty of room left (meaning 600,000 to 800,000 remaining) after parking at the gate. Best part is the airport still looks great, even up close.

I can't wait to try Beau's suggestions too.

Cheers,

Todd

I didnt get file changes to work maybe I am mis-understanding the down sizing waiting for others to chime in

I think Neil from fight or flight fame has done the conversion - so hang in there guys - at first glance it appears I did the same thing but not to the files Beau said were ok to move out of folder

I think Neil from fight or flight fame has done the conversion - so hang in there guys

Richie, you little snitch! :D

Alright, I followed the instructions from Beau and converted the files with irfanview and imagetool (from the SDK)

Disclaimer: for the love of...Rob. BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFOREHAND in case you need/want to revert

EDIT: Read this post first - http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/vas-usage-related-to-water-detail-settings/#post-112054 This zip file was made before this post from Beau.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxnc6en0v7y2w6o/Tex.zip?dl=0

I also resized the files that Beau said were ok to rename/remove just to be on the safe side. I've been fairly busy tonight so I haven't had time to test.

If you do test them out, let us know how it goes.

Ebs,

Thanks - is this after Beau's latest reply on LM site or prior to reading it.

Thanks again for the files.  Will test them shortly

Richie, you little snitch! :D

You crack me up Neil

Ok have been playing with these a bit as Neil stated - you must make copies of your original files and note the exact folders they need to go back in - MAKE SURE YOU DUMP SHADERS

========================================================================

Heres the good

Smoother while spot plane panning - fps and AA appear to be better

========================================================================

Heres the bad so far anyway

I got an OOM message which I never get and some menu crashes

Your distant water will not have waves they will appear flat and shiny kind of like x-plane that being said you will see waves in very close proximity to your aircraft but thats it

You can re load up your rex waves and they are back but that would defeat the purpose I think

So use caution and if distant waves is not an issue with you then these might be your thing - I am going to re-test crashing issues not sure why as its just down sizing the files but not having any problems previous I can only surmise these changes are the culprit but maybe something good can come out of it

Tried just the down sized env maps but that didnt make much difference

No rich I didn't update the zip. Apply what beau said to the files in the zip.

Ah ok - be nice to get this to work as I just crashed to desktop again when accessing the menu while in flight - if I can stop that then I think this is a keeper for me I can live with distant flat waters but you do have to turn water up to ultra to get anything to show in close proximity to aircraft

No rich I didn't update the zip. Apply what beau said to the files in the zip.

Ok got this worked out no crashes and retaining the benefits as posted by me above - give me a few minutes to put a new package together with directions

Use at your own risk but should be fine *********** Take note do not try the files in Neils file link posted they will cause issues

You must make copies of your original files and note the exact folders they need to go back in - MAKE SURE YOU DUMP SHADERS before running P3D

Link to files needed:

1. Delete all 32 of these water detail files       location: Prepar3D\Scenery\World\texture folder

water_detailRXX.bmp (32 of them)
   water_detailXX.bmp (32 of them)

===============================================

2. These should be safe to delete             location: Prepar3D\texture folder

OceanHeight20FieldLow.bmp
   OceanHeight20FieldHigh.dds

===============================================

3. These files should be replaced with the files in zip file           location:scenery\World\texture:
   env_predawn.bmp
   env_dawn.bmp
   env_lowsun.bmp
   env_midsun.bmp
   env_highnoon.bmp
   env_postdusk.bmp
   env_dusk.bmp
   env_lowmoon.bmp
   env_highmoon.bmp
   env_newmoon.bmp
   env_overcast.bmp

Thanks much Rich and Neil,

Will have a go and revert

All have a great day

Still getting crashes not sure if this or just not having a fresh install of windows 10 - please report back if others are having issues - putting back old files and see what happens

Hi Rich,

Thanks for doing this ... but I think you have the wrong path in step 1.

Step 1.  -- should be ...Prepar3d v2\Scenery\World\Texture  (at least that's where they are on both my PCs)

Testing the new files now.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rich,

Thanks Rob - can you change it for me as I cant now - been a long day quite tired