Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

MSE Florida 4X Any new reviews or comments

Recently installed mse Florida 2x which is first delve into photoreal.It is what I expected so OK.Got the 50% disc offer for 4X.Thinking about it.Read previous posts and saw dissatisfaction back in Oct.Have problems been corrected?Thanks,Ron

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Am not sure if they corrected the problems.  I would hold off until you find out. 

I do hope they release some 4X southwestern states such as AZ, CA, NV, and UT.

My experience of MSE scenery is that it has many problems, which won't be corrected, and they ignore all attempts at contacting them.

Sorry this is not what you wanted to hear...

Not knocking any product but I bought a lot of MSEV2 until I got ORBYX Globel , Now I'm sold on Orbyx.  May not be photo real but their products seem to add life to your sim like none other. Can't see me buying any more ground scenery from anyone else except maybe some airports.

Thanks for the replies.I wss just ecperimenting with photoreal in couple states.I have Ornx NW Pacific stuff and like it including freewsre Misty Moorings.Fpt the rest of world am using GEX and UTX.I have been srriously thinking of switching to global but not sure if it would be that much improvement.Looking for opinions on that also.Ron

Sorry for all misspells.Using my phone and big finger

Ron

I'm just the opposite.  I'm sold on photoreal over any repeating landclass ground scenery.  Not so much on MSE because it has no 3D autogen other than what is provided by default P3D, and has other issues.  But that looks like that will change in 2016 with a new developer with full photoreal scenery, full 3D autogen and full night lighting so I am biding my time using what photoreal scenery I currently have.

I bought it for around $14 and so far have not seen any anomalies.  The biggest issue I have with MSE is that there is little water-masking.  A difficult task I understand but think at least the large lakes should be water-masked. 

Best regards,

I'm just the opposite.  I'm sold on photoreal over any repeating landclass ground scenery.  Not so much on MSE because it has no 3D autogen other than what is provided by default P3D, and has other issues.  But that looks like that will change in 2016 with a new developer with full photoreal scenery, full 3D autogen and full night lighting so I am biding my time using what photoreal scenery I currently have.

Who is this new developer?

I'm guessing he is talking about Ultimate VFR  http://store.ultimatevfr.com/

I have the state of  Colorado and it is pretty impressive. If you go to the website, there is a lot of info and pictures of what is in progress right now for most, if not all, the states. The "News/Facebook" link has the latest updates on the progress.

Lyn

I think his VFR scenery is the most consistent out there.  Very nice full state coverage. 

I'm a little concerned about the full state tree coverage however.  I don't know the process he is using, but little things like trees on roads, or sitting in areas where there would be water or a building is sloppy.   I know it takes time and manual corrections to get trees out of the way.  Otherwise, just having massive amounts of trees statewide is counter-productive to the point of having photoscenery.

For desert areas like Arizona and So Cal and "Rocky mountains", I prefer Photoscenery.,.and for wooded mountains like the North west I like Orbx. ORbx PNW is my fav and no way I would use Orbx for Arizona. Orbx Sedona is amazing..but they they use mostly phototextures around the Sedona airport..

The one who had the best of both worlds was VFR France later scenery...but they have not put out any new ones lately... They have photo  scenery with amazing Orbx like trees and autogens... 

I have also tried contacting PC Aviator in regards to their photoscenery and never received a response back.  Also asked about P3Dv3 installers for Latin VFR and again never received a response.  I have been a long time customer and am now done with PC Aviator! 

I am going to purchase the Ultimate VFR AZ, NM, and California when it's ready.  It has night lighting, water mapping, and autogen.

I assume that it is the US store (not the Australian one) of PC Aviator which puglist2 is talking about in terms of lack of response. Although his experience is consistent with what has been reflected in a number of posts on this Forum, my experience with Dean, the manager of the Australian store, has been very satisfactory (including as to promptness and content of responses to communications to the Australian store).

Gary

I am still on the fence about Florida 4X.I have the 50% coupon.What is water masking and is Florida 4X acceptable?Thanks,Ron

What is water masking and is Florida 4X acceptable?

This is a quote from their MegaScenery Manual:

"Water-Masking Issues

"Water masking is the process of “telling” Flight Simulator where to replace photoreal textures with default or standard FSX water textures and water scenery type, primarily to allow the aircraft to land on water, and have that water act like water in the normal Flight Simulator environment."

"There are numerous issues inherent when trying to watermask a photoreal area. The major problem is that default Flight Simulator scenery is relatively “blocky” and not terribly accurate in its placement in the virtual world. On the flip side, MegaSceneryEarth imagery is very accurate, and very detailed.  Far more detailed thandefault scenery in its placement and data resolution in fact."

"When we go to watermask photoreal imagery, we are essentially “cutting out” sections of water that we see on the imagery. The result is that whatever lies underneath this cut-out area in Flight Simulator will show through the watermask or blendmask used. This creates a visual problem and inaccuracy, and you will find areas of water or blendmasking in MSE where you will see default scenery showing through, sometimes with associated autogen objects too."

"The only way to correct this is to provide exclude files for every instance where this occurs. Because the MSE coverage area is massive, it is extremely time consuming to go in and fix every occurrence of this issue, pixel-by-pixel. Doing so would add potentially years of development time to an individual product, and the cost would skyrocket accordingly."

'We have chosen to provide basic watermasking only with MegaSceneryEarth products, so we can keep development costs low, and hence, be able to offer you the lowest price possible for the experience of high-resolution photoreal scenery in Flight Simulator."

I personally like Florida 4X.  From what I have seen it looks very good.  Of course you are not going to see people laying on the beaches but otherwise it is nice (and the price is nice too! Well, I got it 50% off as I had the MSEv2 scenery).  I think you should go ahead and purchase it.  You may not be able to land on all of the lakes or waterways (well, you can but make sure your landing gear is down as the surface is not water) but it's still good for flying twin props and aircraft like the Phenom 300 between cities.  Just make sure you disable it if you are not using it as the scenery will load even if you are flying in California and that will take up resources while your system is loading the scenery.

Best regards,

Best regards,

I could actually accept the lack of watermasking in smaller bodies of water like rivers and ponds, but lakes and coasts really need to be properly watermasked. In addition, it is also imperative that all coastlines, lake shores and islands are accurately rendered. This is not the case with (for example) MegaScenery Earth Northern Ireland. The accuracy and definition of some of the scenery in this region is shockingly bad, and completely unacceptable. IMO, a payware product should not be released at all in this state. It is no secret that a large number of Horizon UK photoscenery customers would love to see an accurately rendered photoscenery version of Northern Ireland (to complete the UK and Ireland collection), but that does not mean that we will accept any old rubbish. Do it properly, and we will pay good money for it.

AZ, CA, NV, and UT.

Yeah..they start out with crappy states first.

So cal needs vivid colors...what I have is washed out. that could do with some improvement

I like Hawaii Oahu that I have ...its color is just awesome... if they put out a 4X for that without washing out the colors, then that could be  worth buying.

AZ, UT is needed for Photoscenery...X4 and vivid colors. This area is better served with Phototextures than FTX global

For East US, I am using FSaltitude USA (East)  I fly high ..airliners It gives me good FPS and land at major airports...Low resolution textures is fine for a large area for 35K altitutde flying... better than repeat textures... This is no OOM area...except for JFK area... which is a tad crowded.

Thanks for the replies.Good info.When I use MSE 2X I use default scenery+GEX+UTX under 2000' then enable MSE..Not perfect solution but it helps.Ron

OK,Installed it and so far happy knowing pros and cons of photoreal. scenery.Took forever to download.Thanks for the advice,Ron

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up and installed Mega Scenery Earth X4 Florida, I dabbled in photo real in the past but gave up on it quickly... I didn't like the look, I even got burned on 50cm that I purchased but never received. Supposedly, the hard drive got lost somewhere between customers.

Anyway, back to MegaScenery Earth 4X Florida, I think it's great. For the first time i think photoreal is ready for prime time. I just performed a test flight at dusk in the sim and I'll have a video online shortly. Now if they could take these tiles and add night lighting I'd use this and nothing else in P3D3.

Video to follow.

Hi Everyone,

I just installed MegaSceneryEarth 4X Florida today, here is my first look (Dusk at KMIA) at the product. From what I've seen so far, it's a keeper!. I've dabbled in photo real in the past, but I just couldn't stand the view on final approach... Until Now!.

Photo Real Scenery is finally ready for prime time (IMHO) "for the most part". Although, I'd like to see these tiles worked up with some night lighting (overlay if possible) imprinted right on the tiles, forget all that 3D lighting stuff that looks like little dots suspended in mid air that cause loading studders that completely ruin the approach phase of flight.

I can actually see my home and pool when I zoom in. I think MegaSceneryEarth hit a home run with the 4X series, well Florida anyway!. Now if we can just get night lighting on these tiles.