Sign in to follow this  

P3D V3.1 - Dynamic Reflections - be careful with this setting.

Thanks a bunch, Rob!

What about fuselage? Not metallic, but normal reflection through an environment map. Does that mean that the reflections only appear when the fuselage uses the global map? As far as I know (the AS Airbus for sure) uses a custom environment map.

"as real as it gets" will always mean "open your wallet".

*sigh* New 980ti ordered....

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

What about fuselage? 

Yes, just about anything (well almost, not sure about usage with Autogen) ... it'll be interesting to see what 3PDs come up with.  The Electra 10A doesn't appear to have Global environment map reflections ... I did test that ... would be very cool if they did update it.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Sorry Kevin, times are changing ... BUT you don't "HAVE TO" turn up/on those graphics settings, P3D works just as well if you can control the slider finger :)

Thanks for the great info Rob. Could you also please comment on what the various levels for dynamic reflections (i.e. low, medium, high...) translate out to?

Just for you Kevin:

hehe

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the great info Rob. Could you also please comment on what the various levels for dynamic reflections (i.e. low, medium, high...) translate out to?

From the learning center.chm file:

Dynamic Reflections

Makes reflections more realistic by replacing the static global environment map with a real-time environment map based on the camera. The resolution of the environment map doubles each quality step starting at 128 and ends at 1024. The types of objects that reflect at different settings are outlined below.

Low: basic world features (ex: terrain, sky, water)
Medium: taxiway and runway features)
High: autogen buildings and air features (ex: stars, clouds)
Ultra: details (ex: particles, vegetation) 

Cheers, Rob.

For me medium seems to be the sweet spot no hit really and after that going higher doesn't make much of a difference but noticed a slight slow down in heavy clouds - so medium it is

Rich Sennett

Just for you Kevin:

hehe

Cheers, Rob.

LOL the hand wanted, so the hand got. I'm pretty sure whn my wife finds out I'll get the return backhander :) Lets hope its worth it! I couldnt let the LM devs get away with putting all these new features in and then not use them could I???

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Lets hope its worth it! I couldnt let the LM devs get away with putting all these new features in and then not use them could I???

You can do whatever you want ... err, well maybe it's a joint decision in your case ... or you could just do what others do and call it "eye candy" and pretend it's something you don't want :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what 3PDs come up with ... I know some have got plans for SpeedTree and Dynamic Reflections ... lots of future "eye candy" to come (which means more and more loads on the GPU/CPU).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, if I called my wife eye candy and pretended she was something I didnt want there'd be hell to pay! The purchase will no doubt be reciprocated on my credit card with an equivalently priced something for her, which is the way it goes (although it does have the unpleasant effect of doubling technology prices for me!! :P )

Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png

Finally we can properly use those "rear view mirror" thingys in fighter jets! (my most nondescript post yet)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

I'm currently running Dynamic Reflections = Low, suggest folks experiment, but if you see a big FPS drop or stutters, you might want to adjust this setting first.  By default it is turned OFF.  The setting is very GPU intensive so how this setting will impact your FPS will depend on the GPU you use ... you've been warning.

Thanks Rob, I was curious to see what was all the fuzz about this option. FPS dropped 50-60% here with the setting at max :D

Default startup situation, daytime, default plane, weather ...

60fps in spot with reflection off.

30fps with low

20 with max settings

It is nice to see the effect on the canopy, but my GTX670 is not ment for this :-)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Here's two screenshots after installation, with default EVERYTHING. Dynamic Reflections setting at the highest.

2015-12-23_0-9-35-218_zps2wlxqe5j.png2015-12-23_0-9-54-793_zpsbdorgl37.png

• Upvote 3

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS