Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatcund

How often do you fly coordinated?

I recently noticed my lazy tendency to not push my rudder pedals - especially in GA aircraft and especially when I'm flying offline. There's no feedback in the seat of my pants and if I'm looking outside I'm not usually paying close attention to the turn coordinator.

Online I typically fly IFR so I do look at my instruments and try to make coordinated standard rate turns because that is what ATC expects.

How often do you fly coordinated?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have to admit the laziness happens to me in GA Flights as well. :blush:

I can hear my instructor now.... :Shame On You:

I think it all depends on how far down the bottle I am Ryan. Arriving over the threshold sideways is usually a fairly good clue that it's time to call it a night!!   :BigGrin:

I always try to fly coordinated.

I think, it is because I have trained a lot in Carenado's C152 during my PPL. Hence, watching 'the ball' was one of the things I always did.

I have to admit I seldom watch the ball and mainly use rudder when it is actually needed (winds with take off and landing). I also have to say that the ball often hardly moves in my planes and whenever I do use the rudder it seems almost impossible to keep the ball centered, not even with the lightest touch.

How do you make a crosswind landing without using rudder pedals? 

Well my Xbox controller does do slips nicely using the two triggers for rudder.

crab  :smile: ....................until 20ft then you have to  :smile:

@Ryan

your just lazy offline lol

Not sure if you are asking this to me but the question wasn't if we use rudders or not, period, but if we use rudders for coordinated turns. I use rudders for ground movement, take off and landing but up in the air I hardly touch them. Also because the planes I fly seem to fly quite well without rudder input. In fact, touching the rudders usually only makes the ball move even more into the wrong direction LOL

I use AutoRudder at all times, and I turn at a rate that feels comfortable.

crab  :smile: ....................until 20ft then you have to  :smile:

@Ryan

your just lazy offline lol

If you crab, and you are not using a rudder, ala the Aircoupe, you are not aligned with the runway, until you apply rudder  to make the alignment. If you are using auto rudder, when you do that, you will start  immediately drifting towards the downwind side of the runway, side load the landing gear, possibly strike the downwind wingtip on the runway surface. Not a good way to end your day.   :wink:

Not sure if you are asking this to me but the question wasn't if we use rudders or not, period, but if we use rudders for coordinated turns. I use rudders for ground movement, take off and landing but up in the air I hardly touch them. Also because the planes I fly seem to fly quite well without rudder input. In fact, touching the rudders usually only makes the ball move even more into the wrong direction LOL

In real life, flying Cessnas and Pipers, I use rudder for climbing and descending, and slow flight as well as landing and taking off. Turning at cruise speeds, level flight, really not necessary. 

Always fly coordinated, dark grey sweat pants, grey Nike sweatshirt, grey socks and black and grey trainers.... :wink:

• Upvote 1

Always fly coordinated, dark grey sweat pants, grey Nike sweatshirt, grey socks and black and grey trainers.... :wink:

^^^^   Cracked me up!!

:lol: :Applause:

Always keep that balance ball in the middle! That's what I was taught when I learnt to fly. Your aeroplane will thank you :)

The only exception to that rule is when you side-slip to lose altitude without gaining extra speed. Sadly this isn't very well replicated in P3D (or FSX).

When piloting my Beech, I always fly with yoke and rudder coordinated.  On the simulator (prepar3d), the rudder is too sensitive and I tend to always over compensate.  Thus I really only use it when crabbing or in cross winds.  Also, with the simulator there is no "seat of the pants" feel so much of the physical cues are missed.

side-slip to lose altitude without gaining extra speed. Sadly this isn't very well replicated in P3D (or FSX).

That depends on the aircraft implementation. Do you have the Realair Scout? Or the Carenado Cessna 152? Those ones side-slip exceptionally well. The A2A Cub sort of does but doesn't seem to have enough rudder assertion. From memory I think a lot of the Golden Age Simulations aircraft work well (notably the PT-22). Probably lots of others but I don't fly many different aircraft much.

I only ever used to use the rudder to compensate for prop torque when putting the power on in the climb, never used to look at the ball and most of the time flew skid turns. In a real aircraft you dont need to look at the turn coordinator because you can feel that the aircraft is aligned to the turn, in FSX i dont bother and leave auto-coord off. 

The other time i would use rudder is for turns without using the control wheel, my instructor used to get me to fly back to London just using rudder,trim and power, teaches you how to really handle the aircraft. 

Bob, I was having a joke I though I made that clear.....never mind.

Auto rudder.......not for me.

When you only have a CH Flightstick Pro joystick as a controller, AutoRudder is pretty much required.

Do you have the Realair Scout? Or the Carenado Cessna 152?

The Scout yes. And their SF260, Duke and Lancair slip nicely too. Particularly useful with the ultra-slippery Lancair!

And yes when feeling lazy I also trim the aeroplane out and just change direction gently using the rudder only. Good fun :)

^^^^   Cracked me up!!

That was my laugh for the day, too.  Good one!

Jeff