Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Looking at a new add-on purchase

I'm looking at purchasing my first fsx add-on, I had many in fs9 but after a long break I came back but to fsx...

So I figure I'd ask, if you had to pick one and only one of your add-ons that you could keep what wouldn't you be able to part with, scenery, aircraft etc etc.....I know there are probably many that you couldn't go without, But just pick ONE :-)

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for replying :-)

I'm hopeing to youse this post to "investigate" add-ons and perhaps help me make a decision.

Going to YouTube the 777 right now

I think you need to ask yourself:  "Am I an airliner or GA aircraft person"

Based on your signature picture, maybe airliners are your thing..

In that case: PMDG.

If you wanted to fly GA aircraft, I would suggest something different:

-  Orbx scenery regions

-  RealAir or a2a aircraft

-  Flight1 Garmin GTN avionics

The most important over all for an inmersive experience for me is Ezdok no doubt.

• Upvote 1

The most important over all for an inmersive experience for me is Ezdok no doubt.

Really? Ezdok, never even considered that, going to look into it right now...thanks

I think you need to ask yourself:  "Am I an airliner or GA aircraft person"

Based on your signature picture, maybe airliners are your thing..

In that case: PMDG.

If you wanted to fly GA aircraft, I would suggest something different:

-  Orbx scenery regions

-  RealAir or a2a aircraft

-  Flight1 Garmin GTN avionics

I'll fly anything, when I fly GA I'm on fseconomy...

But if I had to chose GA or airliners, definelty more an airline guy

One really needs a good weather engine to fly a higher end addon aircraft.

That being the case, I'd recommend Active Sky Next and either the PMDG 737 NGX (gives one a wider range of flights / airports than the 777),  If money is an issue, I'd then recommend Active Sky Next and the Aerosoft Airbus (which is half the cost of the PMDG 737 NGX).

Best wishes for happy flights!

+1 for the Q400!

But you could run with almost all the other suggestions (and many many more that haven't even been put forward!) and not go wrong - just shows how spoiled for choice we are now with FSX add ons!

Bill

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions,

I'm gonna take a look at thes mentioned,

I really like the dash 8 in general so I may take a close look at the majestic,

I can also get a 737 at a discounted price as I purchased it for fs9 and get a discount for the fsx version...and I agree about the weather program, flying isn't flying without good weather(or bad)

I guess I'm looking at one but the few that I think I "need" to make fsx a good flying experience is:

-A high quality aircraft

-A weather engine

-new ground textures(GEX perhaps) as I don't enjoy the default ones at all!!

Thanks

I'd say PMDG NGX. Personally I think it's more fun than 777 because you can fly to many interesting airports with a 737. For example Innsbruck, Kathmandu, Paro, and Corfu, etc. You simply can't fly a 777 into some of these airports.

Hi Gerry

Sounds like you're back to simming after a bit of a break. Before you spend too much $$$ you might want to evaluate where you are up to with your platform. With X-plane and P3D in the market and more to follow soon you might want to look into compatibility and the cost of changing platforms.

If I recall correctly, I could move my FTX Global from FSX to P3D without cost. I don't have PMDG products but understand that if you buy the FSX version you will be shelling out again of you later move to P3D.

There's only one add-on that keeps me with FSX Acceleration (Boxed) and that's the:

F1 Citation Mustang

Majestic Q400 pro, no question or doubt. It's so good I cant even think of the right word for it.

There's only one add-on that keeps me with FSX Acceleration (Boxed) and that's the:

F1 Citation Mustang

+1 but I am using it in my FSX-SE much better performance.

To the OP: sounds like you will need more than one add-on.  I don't know if your FSX is box, but if you have not purchase yet consider getting the steam edition, or take a look at P3D (you have 90 days money back garantee).  The add-on market has a shrinking buyer base, and now it has to deal with the FSX or P3D bifurcation.  If you hate autogen pop up, look at P3D.  PMDG aircraft also perform better in P3D and less chance of OOM error.  Buying add-on is like a drug, before you know it you can't just stop at one  :lol:

Depends a bit of the flight style, low&slow vs Long(er) hall... First of all, my pretty common base-pack: ORBX Global/Vector/OpenLC, ASN, REX TD/SC. This is an absolute must for me to have.

But I think that if I would just buy a single addon, it would be an aircraft (that's what it's all about, after all). I would have to say the Majestic Q400 Pro, but past few weeks some other cutie has been increasingly gaining my affection, which makes this question harder to answer. And that would be the FSL Concorde X.

+1 but I am using it in my FSX-SE much better performance.

To the OP: sounds like you will need more than one add-on.  I don't know if your FSX is box, but if you have not purchase yet consider getting the steam edition, or take a look at P3D (you have 90 days money back garantee).  The add-on market has a shrinking buyer base, and now it has to deal with the FSX or P3D bifurcation.  If you hate autogen pop up, look at P3D.  PMDG aircraft also perform better in P3D and less chance of OOM error.  Buying add-on is like a drug, before you know it you can't just stop at one  :lol:

The F1 Mustang is compatible with FSX-Steam. It's NOT p3d compatible.

To OP,

As has been alluded, choosing 1 add-on at a time is much more realistic than picking only 1 add-on and consider sim and computer capabilities.

Must have Add-ons for FSX Boxed IMHO:

Scenery textures: FTX Global

Weather: REX4 + ASN

Airports: Too many to mention with WOAI + GSX

ATC: Default + Editvoicepack or PFE

Utilities: FSUIPC, Accufeel, RXP GNS 430/530, GTN 750, EZDOK, FS Commander, DX10 Fixer

Planes:

Single engine: A2A Comanche 250

Mutl-Engine Realair Turbine Duke

Complex Multi: Q400

VLJ: Citation Mustang

Business Jet: ES Citation X v2

Airliner: PMDG 737ngx

Military: VRS F18

Have fun!

Active sky next was a game changer for me.  It puts a bit of reality firmly into the sim.  Especially if you are flying GA.  In Alaska where some airports can only land in one direction, a 25 or 30kt tail will will make for a rough day.  You must do your flight planning and do it right.  If that's a headwind it'll throw your fuel calc off enough to put you in an emergency situation.  Also, climbing out in southern Alaska in IMC is downright frightful.  Getting to your airway and up to MCA can put sweat on your back.  This is by far the best add-on I have.  

My second favorite would easily be the flight1 GTN software.  Such an amazing package for GA.  Combine with a realair or carenado with GTN integration it's a pretty blissful flying experience.  

Lastly would be PilotEdge.  If you want real, this IS as real as it gets.  It is limited in area to socal and a little of nevada but that's just long enough for some tubeliner work if that's your thing.  You won't have super like cruise flight, but that's the least fun anyhow.  KLAS, KSFO down to KSAN or KLAX is pretty respectable.  Having to properly file, properly readback and properly follow correct flight procedures while managing your aircraft can be a pure BLAST!!  If you haven't tried PilotEdge I very highly recommend their free trial AND their training workshops and training ratings.

• Upvote 1

Like the profile picture! I too am a real-life motorcyclist - nothing to beat it on the ground.

Your post #13 nailed it really. I rarely fly default FSX:SE aircraft and choose from iFly 737NG, RealAir Duke Turbine, A2A Skylane or feelThere Phenom 100 depending on how much time I've got and how much I want "procedures" or "flying".

Twelve months ago I installed FTX Global, Vector and OLC and it transformed my experience. Then someone told me I must have ASN. How right they were. It's just a completely new sim with FTX and ASN together - way more immersive.

With DTG's recent announcements you need to be sure you're investing in the right add-ons for the future and don't end up paying twice.

Whatever you choose - welcome back!

Rupert

I recently bought the Majestic Q400 pro - really like the look, and all the bells & whistles - only problem - it's a bi'otch to hand-fly during landing esp. with any crosswinds - I'm still caught in the learning curve - but I have no regrets about it as an add-on...  (Just got the Alabeo Aztec PA23 the other nite - whole lot of fun to fly, plus a bunch of free paints jobs to D/L).  I also have the A2A C182 & the PMDG 777-200 & 300 - all really great additions.  I'm think I'm done buying new toys for a while :wink: 

Ah, but there's the is the new "Lab" Concorde out in the ethernet beaconing me - Resist!