Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

Yes agree on that;

why lock it up ???

It is a game - and gaming mean having fun !! part of the fun is also to be able to mod a game !!

That's why they have the full flight sim that's coming later in the year that will have third party support. Flight School is for new users to the genre. Those who don't require full turbo prop or jet simulation, but would rather have an elementary experience for simming.

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I quite like that its not upgrade-able this time.

I like that I'll have the same add-ons as everyone else and that it won't be 'necessary' to spend a few hundred quid on 64-bit versions of scenery and aircraft as soon as it comes out.

This also means that the inbuilt scenery will have to look reasonable out of the box.

Dovetail know both the importance of add-ons to the community, and that they can sell add-ons on steam, for the full version of the simulator obviously.

(they also know that people use add-ons not available on steam and will, I hope, let people use those add-ons as well).

No new screenshots this week apparently.

There was the diagram of the Cherokee instrument panel on twitter, which is something I guess.

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

No add-ons; however, the DA42 appears to be a paid "add-on" of sorts. I assume this means it's built into the software, but only becomes available if paid for after the pre-buy period ends.

So, perhaps no other planes besides the default and the DA42 will ever become available.

Turner, I'd guess its more of a patch.

The DA42 is free for everyone as I understand it.

But those who pre-order get it a few weeks or so before everyone else.

Tony Holmes

I typically think of a "patch" as a "fix", i.e. something intended to fix something that isn't working as expected.... if it's simply something being available ahead of time, and the cost goes up after pre-order, then it seems like part of the action of paying more after pre-order entails "buying" the content that was available at no charge during the pre-order.

They also say "complete with bonus content" - anyone know what the "bonus content" is? Same thing applies, I think.

anyone know what the "bonus content" is?

I believe Martin said it referred to lessons for the DA42 but I can't remember if that was in the "Ask DTG" thread or not.

Give people power to really test their personality.

It might well be that they decided quite late to add a third plane and the development with the two initial planes was already quite advanced. So they might just need some more time to test the DA42 and the associated lessons, hence the later release and "patch".

I believe Martin said it referred to lessons for the DA42 but I can't remember if that was in the "Ask DTG" thread or not.

The bonus content includes lessons and missions featuring the Diamond DA42 focusing on multi-engine training.

- Martin 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Has this excellent podcast been mentioned above somewhere?

FSElite interviews Stephen Hood. One hour long.

https://soundcloud.com/fselite/fselite-ep16-dovetail-games-and-flight-school

gb.

I hadn't heard it before.  How long ago was it released?

Stephen talks about Flight School being released next month, so presumably it was recorded a few weeks ago.

Tony Holmes

I hadn't heard it before.  How long ago was it released?

Stephen talks about Flight School being released next month, so presumably it was recorded a few weeks ago.

My podcast has it dated 10th March which sounds about right.

Stephen certainly seems like he is devoted to the cause.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

No add-ons; however, the DA42 appears to be a paid "add-on" of sorts. I assume this means it's built into the software, but only becomes available if paid for after the pre-buy period ends.

So, perhaps no other planes besides the default and the DA42 will ever become available.

The DA42 is a free content update. Everyone will get it for free, but those who pre-order will get it 60 days before everyone else. The content is not already included in the sim. We haven't finished making it yet! It will require a download to add it to the sim .

I hope that clears up the confusion,

- Martin 

They also say "complete with bonus content" - anyone know what the "bonus content" is? Same thing applies, I think.

The DA42 will come with a selection of Twin engine based lessons and missions. 

- Martin 

The DA42 is a free content update. Everyone will get it for free, but those who pre-order will get it 60 days before everyone else. The content is not already included in the sim. We haven't finished making it yet! It will require a download to add it to the sim .

I hope that clears up the confusion,

- Martin 

The DA42 will come with a selection of Twin engine based lessons and missions. 

- Martin 

Yes - thank you!

Any chance of a few new screenshots? I find myself checking the facebook page and this thread each day like a kid waiting for Christmas  :smile:

Any chance of a few new screenshots? I find myself checking the facebook page and this thread each day like a kid waiting for Christmas  :smile:

I´m with you on that, I´m really wanting to see the new technology. 

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Yes agree on that;

why lock it up ???

It is a game - and gaming mean having fun !! part of the fun is also to be able to mod a game !!

I think you've just answered your own question!

Dovetail games wanted to keep things simple. Mods require a simulator to be far more mature and open than they were willing to provide for Flight School - maybe they simple weren't ready. This is why we have Flight School now and Flight Simulator at the end of the year.