Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Default P3D v3 Clouds vs Rex Soft Clouds

Here I use Soft Clouds for my daily clouds till I see really nice looking cumulus clouds outside my house.

Then I have a specific FEX cloud, which I load from a click of a batch file...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

after a couple installs I abandoned REX completely... not worth the effort. They are very slow following updates and not worth the trouble.

Slow   to update  ,  expect  them to update  every  week?   Care  to explain  not  worth  the trouble  seems  to be user  issues  here .

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I use stock clouds, despite buying Rex4/TD/Soft Clouds..... after a couple installs I abandoned REX completely... not worth the effort. They are very slow following updates and not worth the trouble.

Hi Allen,

With respect I would be very careful about making such statements. You are expressing a personal opinion, one, I am certain, not shared by the majority of this community. Sure, REX4 TD with Soft Clouds is not perfect, but then what product is? In my case, their depiction of water leaves a lot to be desired, but their user friendly GUI allows choice, plenty of choice, and so I choose not to install their water textures preferring instead the P3D defaults. Yes, I would like them to update these textures for Prepar3D, but there may be technical reasons why this is hard to achieve across the range in the short term. Apart from that there is a great deal which is very worthy of installation not least being their excellent and very popular range of Soft Clouds.

To state that REX is 'not worth the effort' or 'not worth the trouble' is far too absolute, is both unfair and unreasonable and will likely discourage new entrants to this hobby who will miss out by not experiencing what this amazing package has to offer. Clearly, for whatever reason, you have had problems with REX but, I say again, your expressed personal opinion flies in the face of what, quite evidently, is a very highly regarded, well supported and popular product.

Regards,

Mike

Good post Mike.   I only use Rex Texture Direct for Textures.  I find there Products, ease of use and customer service fantastic, Top notch  

I use stock clouds, despite buying Rex4/TD/Soft Clouds.....  after a couple installs I abandoned REX completely... not worth the effort. They are very slow following updates and not worth the trouble.

Effort, what effort. I don't understand what you are talking about....??? Couldn't be any easier to install and utilize. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Slow   to update  ,  expect  them to update  every  week?   Care  to explain  not  worth  the trouble  seems  to be user  issues  here .

They were quite slow (months if I recall) to update their product to properly support a recent P3D update, and in the interim while waiting I personally realized I'm totally happy without having TD/SC installed. Add the fact if I don't have their clouds sized properly they can cause OOM's, for me I don't bother.

There's a point I get tired or tweaking every detail like so many of you guys seem to love. I just want to install the sim, some pretty scenery and a good 3rd party plane and just fly around... don't care to affinity mask this or cloud size ratio that with a peppering of FFT to the hilt. To each his own of course.

Obviously I kicked a hornets nest on this one ha

Hi Allen,

With respect I would be very careful about making such statements. You are expressing a personal opinion, one, I am certain, not shared by the majority of this community. Sure, REX4 TD with Soft Clouds is not perfect, but then what product is? In my case, their depiction of water leaves a lot to be desired, but their user friendly GUI allows choice, plenty of choice, and so I choose not to install their water textures preferring instead the P3D defaults. Yes, I would like them to update these textures for Prepar3D, but there may be technical reasons why this is hard to achieve across the range in the short term. Apart from that there is a great deal which is very worthy of installation not least being their excellent and very popular range of Soft Clouds.

To state that REX is 'not worth the effort' or 'not worth the trouble' is far too absolute, is both unfair and unreasonable and will likely discourage new entrants to this hobby who will miss out by not experiencing what this amazing package has to offer. Clearly, for whatever reason, you have had problems with REX but, I say again, your expressed personal opinion flies in the face of what, quite evidently, is a very highly regarded, well supported and popular product.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

If I can't state a personal opinion that goes against popular opinion around here, why even have a community forum? We should just have a single locked thread listing exactly what to install I suppose?

I like this place, but I like it because there are different points of view. I stated above briefly my reasons why, for me, stock clouds are just fine and an extra layer of Rex isn't needed. I can honestly say that having flown the sim for months on end both ways, I am perfectly fine with stock clouds and don't see any reason to reinstall soft clouds. With a little lighting tweaks and the fantastic Active Sky Next, stock looks great.

Apologies to any I offended. Rex just isn't for me.

Hi Mike,

If I can't state a personal opinion that goes against popular opinion around here, why even have a community forum? Apologies to any I offended. Rex just isn't for me.

Hi Allen,

No one has been offended and I would never seek to deny you the right to express your opinion. My problem lies with the way you chose to express that opinion. Those new to the sim and the Addon concept could easily be put off when they read phrases like 'not worth the effort' or 'not worth the trouble'.

How we perceive Addons is very much a personal matter and it should be left to each individual to make their own judgements rather than influence such decisions by the careless use of language. By all means tell us what aspects of REX4 TD with Soft Clouds you did not like. We may agree or disagree as much will depend on how this addon is being used, in what situations and the user's familiarity with the 'real world'. How we see our environment is another variable which is rarely considered and, perhaps inevitably, Developers of such sim enhancers look to achieve the best compromise. More often than not they manage to succeed, sometimes they don't, but that is not to say we will always agree.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Allen,

You were asked for your opinion and you provided it.  I had no problem with your response,  and some folks did.  No big deal.  Now if you really want to start a "war"...... nnnahhh .. never mind ....... =@

WAT1460.png

Looking back, I admit my post wasn't as useful as a full review/analysis weighing the pros and cons would have been, and I didn't handle the subject matter with kid gloves and a nice sugar coating.  It was a simple question in the title and I gave my simple response, which I stand by 100%.  Any benefits of REX aren't worth the time, money or potential problems to me, and while I own the full REX 4 TD w/ Soft Clouds package, I don't use it or have it installed.  I put my proverbial money where my mouth is on this one, and REX sits quietly idle on a backup hard drive in the closet.  My sim dollars would have been much better spent elsewhere.

Mike, I do see your perspective, and hope there are no hard feelings.  I didn't intend to disrespect Rex or what they offered.  I just simply don't value their product.  I will try not to be quite so blunt next time.

And per my pal Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that...  :hi:

Avsim has always allowed freedom of expression as long as it does not violate our TOS and is handled in a respectful manner. We all have different favorites and no amount of coaxing will get us to switch. Each product has 3 states - like - dislike and don't care - Be77solo is in the dislike column - that's it.

Be77solo expressed an opinion - HIS - and need not justify it to anyone.

Personally, I found nothing at all offensive about his post.

That said - can we get back on topic.    :smile:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Personally, I found nothing at all offensive about his post.

Vic

Nor did I Vic. Again, with the greatest respect, I would ask you to read again my response to Allen. Okay, his post could never be considered to be a balanced formal review of said product and, yes, the opinion expressed was his and, arguably, his alone. However, the language used suggested that the product was being dismissed as having no value and this, to me at least, seemed unwarranted and unfair. We do not know to what extent he had used the product nor did he specify how he had arrived at his conclusions. I happen to like the product and, accordingly, could not stand by without challenging the phraseology employed to put the product down.

If AVSIM really is okay with the membership expressing their views in this way, and without qualification, then perhaps some further clarification is needed.

Regards,

Mike

Mike - 

he basically said he thinks the product is not worth installing. That's his opinion. I do not see him having to justify his opinion. If he stated that the product has been known to trash systems, etc. etc - then he is asserting something as fact.

Yes, some new users might use that as a reason NOT to purchase the product (which I doubt) just as some might use a positive response as a reason to buy the product.

It's obviously a favorite of yours and you don't care for anyone dissing it but this is an open forum - again - he is entitled to express his opinion in any language he wishes as long as does not violate Avsim's TOS and guidelines.

So he doesn't like it and you do and you both have expressed your opinions - I don't see how one could further clarify.

You might be a tad sensitive about a product you like.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors