Sign in to follow this  
brack4712

Split Scimitar

I know this question has been asked and answered before, but I am asking again :)

Split Scimitar winglets are more common than not on the 737-800/737-900 series, and they look so nice.

If we could seen an option in the NGX for this, that would be absolutely AMAZING.

I am just looking for the Appearance of them, not the functionality. I think all of us would be satisfied with just the look of them as long as we have something.

Split Scimitar winglets are the way of the future and are skyrocketing in popularity. If we could seen at least an option to visually see these on the aircraft, I, along with many others, would be very thankful!

Thank you

Jack

• Upvote 2

Here we go again. The weekly split scimitar topic. Posted twice to emphasize the point.

• Upvote 2

Here we go again. The weekly split scimitar topic. Posted twice to emphasize the point.

I didn't post Twice to "emphasize the point" I did it on accident when I refreshed the page. That's why I editted it to say "IGNORE". I am sorry if you feel that way.

Now to the "Here we go again." point. This is the NGX thread, this is where all things NGX go. If it is being posted frequently, that means it is in high demand. Isn't this where we are to voice our requests and/or concerns? Thanks

Jack

• Upvote 4

Lol, if I only had a dollar for every time a split scimitar request post was made, it would pay for the new 747.

If it is being posted frequently, that means it is in high demand. Isn't this where we are to voice our requests and/or concerns?

Yes but users posting the same feature update requests doesn't mean that PMDG is going to do it, just like the people who keep posting the 757 and 767 request threads through the years.

• Upvote 1

If it is being posted frequently, that means it is in high demand.

The forum is certainly the loudest, but to assume that it's a more representative sample of the overall user base isn't necessarily correct.

Isn't this where we are to voice our requests and/or concerns?

Not entirely. This is the customer forum for user-to-user support. We obviously hang out here, but the official avenue to get to PMDG specifically is the support system (linked in my signature).

• Upvote 2

If it is being posted frequently, that means it is in high demand. Isn't this where we are to voice our requests and/or concerns? Thanks

Jack

By that logic, wouldn't it make sense to add your vote into one of the existing topics? That way rather than having someone try to evaluate 40 threads of 1-3 comments they can just see one big thread with a lot of comments/views. It makes it easier to gather the data point.

And I don't suggest that anyone ask a study level developer to slap something on because they're getting impatient. The time will come my friend.

• Upvote 1

I know this question has been asked and answered before, but I am asking again :)

Split Scimitar winglets are more common than not on the 737-800/737-900 series, and they look so nice.

If we could seen an option in the NGX for this, that would be absolutely AMAZING.

I am just looking for the Appearance of them, not the functionality. I think all of us would be satisfied with just the look of them as long as we have something.

Split Scimitar winglets are the way of the future and are skyrocketing in popularity. If we could seen at least an option to visually see these on the aircraft, I, along with many others, would be very thankful!

Thank you

Jack

Aren't you glad you asked?

Jas

• Upvote 3

The weekly split scimitar topic. Posted twice to emphasize the point.

Flashback to the original PMDG NG when airlines started to plug the eyebrow windows. :P

• Upvote 1

Split Scimitar winglets are more common than not on the 737-800/737-900 series,

Where did you get your data to make such a bold statement? Not because you see it in your country, region or the airline you travel on, doesn't mean it's common in the world.

• Upvote 1

Split Scimitar winglets are more common than not on the 737-800/737-900 series

Please state your source.  Given the number of airframes in service I have a hard time believing this statement.

• Upvote 1

According to that website, there are four types of winglets existing for the B737.

http://www.b737.org.uk/winglets.htm

Are you going to request all of them for the PMDG NGX?  :Devil:

There are only 2 winglet options for the NG. Blended winglets and now the scimitar. 

The other two are for completely different variants of the 737.

• Upvote 3

I think they should halt production on the 747v3 immediately and get on this. I can hardly bear fly my NGX with the knowledge that there's a new option available for the 737 since the NGX came out in 2011. As soon as I start thinking about it, my skin gets all clammy and I'm sobbing under my computer desk.

While they're at it, maybe they can add a second ADF and peel off those INOP stickers. 

I don't think Jack's question was so bad. Anyhow, the replies to his question weren't much better.

My guess is that at some point in a (distant) future, we will get PMDG's rendition of the 737 MAX, which will include its winglets too.

But that's just my guess.

• Upvote 2

Personally I think a visual model only update would be a perfectly acceptable compromise. I understand the simulation realism and data arguments, but external appearance is also a realism issue, especially if you operate as an airline which has a lot of split scimitar aircraft.

• Upvote 4

I hope they would consider it. People requesting the split scimitar wingtips seem mostly concerned with visual model appearance and could probably live with no difference to the drag and fuel burn. This is a desktop simulator and not a training device.

Split Scimitar could be nice indeed, so before that, I just want to know where is the promised 900ER?? 

• Upvote 1

Well, because everything I've come to know about PMDG, tells me, that they won't do anything 'half' - or the easy way... The only real example I can think of, was the 747-8i extension for their current 747 series, and I'm fairly certain, that they won't continue down that line...

Besides, I seem to recall, that they've already said, that they won't do an external update, without the correct performance data included (I could be mis-remembering, though)...

I don't see why not...

I knew this was going to come up, but this is actually a very poor reference.

Here's an explanation by RSR a while back in a similar thread, with a similar point being made:

The P-8 model was created by us back in 3Q12 for an altogether different application for which our work was invited by Boeing. 

Since we had the mdl laying around doing nothing, we figured you guys might enjoy having access to it because it is something new and different.  It cost us nothing to add the item to the base package as a nice gift for all of you, and we felt it would be enjoyed because it is yet another variant of the 737NG series airplane.

I probably shouldn't need to say this, but I will:  The performance data, operational data, data related to most of the military systems, the application, integration and operation of the sensor suites carried onboard are mostly classified and those that aren't classified are very sensitive in nature and information related to them is tightly controlled.  Any documentation related to those pieces of information are only available to people who need them and to companies that have classified information handling procedures in compliance with US Federal laws.

PMDG is not one of those companies, nor do we wish to be, and no we haven't been exposed to any of it.

Again, I point out that this model was created originally for Boeing at their request a couple of years ago- so it was not consuming development resources during this update cycle.

Why did we choose not to do a complete P-8 simulation or a BBJ or the SSW mod?  For all of the reasons above.  This update cycle was about P3D only originally, but then became about FSX-SE when it debuted.  This cycle had nothing to do with adding new aircraft to the simulation and we have stated that all along.
  • Upvote 1

I knew this was going to come up, but this is actually a very poor reference.

Here's an explanation by RSR a while back in a similar thread, with a similar point being made:

I remembered that. I was just pointing out that it isn't beneath PMDG to do something visual only. But it is rare.

Personally I'd rather not have it done just visually. The P-8 is fun to play with being in the Navy myself but in all honesty I don't fly it that much to really care about the performance differences. Split-Scimitar wingtips on a plane I fly a lot for a VA Id like the performance data to go with it. If I had a vote I'd rather have a proper PMDG 737MAX at some point, I know that would be WAY down the road but still cool.