Sign in to follow this  
BrendanMan33

OOM Question

I have been using fax for the longest time and it seems now that only as of late have I been getting these "dings". Turns out that FSUIPC is wasrning me of something called an "OOM" error or other wise know as "Out Of Menory". Now I know that this means that RAM or my GPU is the culrprit but rather the OS that the sim was created off of. So here's my question. 1, what tricks do you use to avoid this. 2, why recently? And 3, what are the workarounds?

Happy Skies..

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

turn down  your autogen  will  work ,  why recently  maybe  you been  adding  things   to your  pc and now  its  getting  overworked

Indeed, "settings lower" is the answer..

Keep your LOD setting to 4.5 and not higher for example..

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running and how much RAM do you have installed?

You ram and gpu is not the problem

OOM is caused by a lack of virtual address space - in simple terms you have too high of settings for whatever addons you're using.

Use a 64 bit OS and turn down settings (like autogen, texture resolution, ai traffic) when running complex addons

I will definitely try turning down my settings. I have Win 10 and 16Gb of RAM.. Out of curipusity does P3D have these issues as I have been looking to transfer over to it?

It is my understanding that FSX-Steam and P3D are better at managing the VAS, but FSX, FSX-Steam, and P3D are all 32-bit applications, so none of them can utilize more than 4 GB of memory.

Quick question Bert I would assume if I edit cfg file to 4.5 if I crank up settings in P3D menu it will change the 4.5 to 6.5 again ? - thanks 

Unfortunate that they have these limitations with no possible way to for a lack of better words "overclock" these games..

Yeah it's sort of funny. We have powerful enough pc's today to run p3d and fsx but if you want all the add-ons at high scenery settings it just won't work

The key is to simulate the aircraft first and foremost, then turn down the rest of the settings to keep vas in check.

Not sure about P3D, but in FSX even if you set everything to full on, the LOD doesn't go above 4.5. I believe LM has set the hard limit for P3D to 6.5... unless that was for a previous release of P3D

What is the LOD setting?

Level Of Detail

In computer graphics, accounting for level of detail involves decreasing the complexity of a 3D object representation as it moves away from the viewer or according to other metrics such as object importance, viewpoint-relative speed or position.