Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

FSX R.I.P.

I've had P3D for quite a while now and it has never grabbed me. I had FSX DX10 running beautifully and whenever I had another go at P3D it just caused a 'meh'. :nea:

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes. Suddenly I stopped 'mehing'! Now I'm not saying I was OMGing or AWESOMEing all over the place but P3D had become FSX DX10 plus a few bits.

Since then poor old faithful FSX has been like a worn out horse left alone in a field. It seemed like a kindness to put it out of it's misery.

BANG! Uninstalled. :sad:

Prepar3D's training is coming along nicely.

If this has been a bit too anthropomorphic for you, my apologies. :P 

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ron,

had the same story here....I have never been too much in love with P3D, but then very recently a combination of good settings, hardware change and just a copule of right tweaks have made the miracle...I am totally captured now by P3D ....my last 30 flights have been on P3D and when yesterday I ran again FSX-SE I was shocked by the difference......

This is good......very good step forward ...and I cannot really understand all the people complaining about P3D...

All the best..! 

Similar story here - but I went from a tricked-out FS9 setup to P3D.  Skipped FSX completely!  Time marches on...

Ron

That is great to hear. Welcome to the dark side! :hi:

Naw, that's XP11 :)  The water is fine over here too!   :smile:

• Upvote 3

So an old dog can learn new tricks after all... :) 

Just wait until you discover PTA and the scenery in P3D suddenly looks like the real world... 

Blue skies Ron, and have a nice holiday! 

I've had P3D for quite a while now and it has never grabbed me. I had FSX DX10 running beautifully and whenever I had another go at P3D it just caused a 'meh'. :nea:

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes. Suddenly I stopped 'mehing'! Now I'm not saying I was OMGing or AWESOMEing all over the place but P3D had become FSX DX10 plus a few bits.

Since then poor old faithful FSX has been like a worn out horse left alone in a field. It seemed like a kindness to put it out of it's misery.

BANG! Uninstalled. :sad:

Prepar3D's training is coming along nicely.

If this has been a bit too anthropomorphic for you, my apologies. :P

Steady on there Ron! Had me reaching for a hankie by the end.   :blush:

• Upvote 2

Naw, that's XP11 :) The water is fine over here too!

Yeah while you abandoned ship on FSX, you are jumping aboard a ship that people are slowing jumping off the other side for XP11.  

The funny thing is when P3D goes 64 bit I have a feeling people will be jumping back aboard P3D.  lol.

I still don't think 64bit will be the holy land for flight sim.  CPU/GPU and other factors will still push/pull the FPS etc.

• Upvote 2

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes.

How come you didn't do the button, slider and ticking stuff earlier?

Wait until 3rd party devs start actually making products specifically for P3D first and then retro fit to FSX ... rather than the other way around.

Lots of features in P3D that are mostly being ignored by many (not all) 3rd party devs ... SpeedTrees, Scaleform, Avatar mode, Volumetric lights, Dynamic Reflections, etc. 

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 3

IBTL.

Yep, my FSX and FSX SE are gone for P3D.

Wait until 3rd party devs start actually making products specifically for P3D first and then retro fit to FSX ... rather than the other way around.

Lots of features in P3D that are mostly being ignored by many (not all) 3rd party devs ... SpeedTrees, Scaleform, Avatar mode, Volumetric lights, Dynamic Reflections, etc. 

Cheers, Rob.

I sure hope that time comes soon. Some times it just seems that while the rest of the computing world is moving along at the speed of light, we in the flight sim world are locked into the speed of a slow sick turtle. No need to throw rocks as I am aware that I am an old impatient man!! It would be nice to see just one time....New release for Prepar3d only and will be ported to FSX when we get tired of fishing and bowling. :vava:

• Upvote 1

Yeah while you abandoned ship on FSX, you are jumping aboard a ship that people are slowing jumping off the other side for XP11.  

The funny thing is when P3D goes 64 bit I have a feeling people will be jumping back aboard P3D.  lol.

I still don't think 64bit will be the holy land for flight sim.  CPU/GPU and other factors will still push/pull the FPS etc.

I know it's not a "popular" opinion to have right now on AVSIM, but I tried the XP11 demo and came away with wonder from the UI (loved it), only to be disappointed again in the rest of it... Sure it looks pretty at dusk, night and dawn, and the curved runways are fantastic to navigate (especially in a heavy), but everything it still lacks that has been mainstay in FS/ESP for multiple versions still keeps me away.

• Upvote 2

I know it's not a "popular" opinion to have right now on AVSIM, but I tried the XP11 demo and came away with wonder from the UI (loved it), only to be disappointed again in the rest of it... Sure it looks pretty at dusk, night and dawn, and the curved runways are fantastic to navigate (especially in a heavy), but everything it still lacks that has been mainstay in FS/ESP for multiple versions still keeps me away.

Concur.  "Popular" is relative BTW.  Many non XP fliers here.

• Upvote 1

Naw, that's XP11 :)  The water is fine over here too!   :smile:

Naw (naw version two)!

P3D vs 3.xx is the dark side.

XPlane is the darker side.

The other new sims are the darkest side! 

Merry Christmas Ryan! :hi:

• Upvote 1

New release for Prepar3d only and will be ported to FSX

I'd love to see that day ... maybe 2017 will make it more attractive ... but I was also hoping (especially now that P3D since V2 is 3 years old) that more 3rd party would use the new features of P3D to help lure users away from FSX and into a future with ongoing development ... but I haven't seen many airports and/or objects implementing DR support, saw a few SpeedTrees from FlyTampa but otherwise I'm not seeing much ... I guess revenue numbers are so tight that 3rd party can't afford to give up FSX customers and invest too much time in P3D only variants ... which is sorta a Catch-22.

I can't comment on P3D's 64bit future, but lets suppose 64bit did happen, would 64bit P3D really make any difference to customer base shifting? ... so much of a difference that 3rd party could justify just a P3D 64bit product and drop FSX support?  My guess is NO, as a decade worth of FSX add-ons just makes it that much more difficult for FSX user to let go ... and with 3rd party still feeding the FSX wagon, that's only making their problem more entrenched and restricted.  That's the Catch-22.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 1

I did the Steve's fixer thing for FSX a couple months back and was really impressed once I got it setup correctly.

But, I also had P3Dv3 and hadn't yet set it up.  So I moved into an aggressive P3Dv3 mode, installing all my Orbx stuff, planes and other compatible addons.

I also downloaded and actually read the AVSIM P3D guide and managed a few settings.

Like I have been saying to others, I haven't started up FSX in over a month and half. I have all the reflections, and lighting producing some amazing flying scenarios.

I'm moving all the way to P3D as I keep adding stuff.....just added my FS Dreamteam Hawaiian airports packages the other day....its a beautiful thing; FSX is parked in the hanger at this time, doubt it will come out ever again.

Bryan

• Upvote 1

I myself cant see P3D going 64 bit, the benefits are marginal unless all developers recode to support it.

I'd love to see that day ... maybe 2017 will make it more attractive ... but I was also hoping (especially now that P3D since V2 is 3 years old) that more 3rd party would use the new features of P3D to help lure users away from FSX and into a future with ongoing development ... but I haven't seen many airports and/or objects implementing DR support, saw a few SpeedTrees from FlyTampa but otherwise I'm not seeing much ... I guess revenue numbers are so tight that 3rd party can't afford to give up FSX customers and invest too much time in P3D only variants ... which is sorta a Catch-22.

I can't comment on P3D's 64bit future, but lets suppose 64bit did happen, would 64bit P3D really make any difference to customer base shifting? ... so much of a difference that 3rd party could justify just a P3D 64bit product and drop FSX support?  My guess is NO, as a decade worth of FSX add-ons just makes it that much more difficult for FSX user to let go ... and with 3rd party still feeding the FSX wagon, that's only making their problem more entrenched and restricted.  That's the Catch-22.

Cheers, Rob.

The real trouble in my opinion are all the simmers who refuse to make the move and support a platform that is in active development. I know some have good reasons, but it hurts the P3D development team as much as the third party developers - a double catch 22 of sorts. It will be really interesting to see how DTG can navigate these waters.... 

I'm moving all the way to P3D as I keep adding stuff.....just added my FS Dreamteam Hawaiian airports packages the other day....its a beautiful thing; FSX is parked in the hanger at this time, doubt it will come out ever again.

Welcome Bryan!! Perhalps it would be a good time for folks to start using small banners or use wording in thier signatures to support Prepar3D. There may be more of us than we realize.

I came back to the P3D fold about six weeks ago, after about 18 months of FSX:SE with the DX:10 fixer.  FSX is now gone from my system.  Moving to a 4k monitor helped - my P3D is no longer bogged down in SGSS, it just flies, in a couple of senses of the word.  Glad to be here, not missing FSX at all, and not tempted by X-Plane (my X-Plane flirtations never work out, and my airplanes don't live there).  Glad to be on the LM side of the fence.

• Upvote 1

I think like a year ago Aerosoft did a poll of what sim version people use most.  It was interesting to see the dynamic shift to P3D but it still wasn't enough to sway their development.   It would be really interesting to see that same poll done now.   I think they noticed the shift hence why they are one of the few to offer the P3D version of their addons for free to entice customers.  Other developers saw it as an extra burden and made it an upgrade or new purchase. 

It has always been a mystery to me why DTG got involved. Some times I think they are providing cover for x-plane or something like that. It is a bit like me throwing millions of dollars to develope a small box that we can carry around and talk to one another. Didn't someone already do that?? We all seem to say there is no money in making add ons and yet here is another company who is years behind in a weak market. Some where, somebody is lying to us. Man I sure can't figure it out. Oh well, back to work on my new product...it's a round tube with batteries inside and a light on one end for use in the dark. I have ask my tech guys to invent the battery and "man we R gona bee $$$ rich"

...The water is fine over here too! :smile:

Actually, that's my only (small-ish) beef. FSX water with it's lovely whitecaps... :wub:

Still, a small price to pay.

How come you didn't do the button, slider and ticking stuff earlier?

I did, several times, but I didn't/couldn't get what I wanted. If I had done I would have swapped earlier, no?

What's interesting is the different reporting by different developers.  About a year ago ORBX was talking about a heavy swing from FSX to P3D.  Aerosoft's polling showed it somewhere in the middle.  A2A insisted that the majority of their customers were still using FSX - which makes it notable that their new Constellation will be published in a P3D edition as well as an FSX version.  Maybe these are signs of a slow shift toward P3D - or maybe they just reflect that different customer bases go different ways.  None of them is publishing sales figures, so apart from polls (which aren't all that reliable), I guess we have to take them at their word.

Actually, that's my only (small-ish) beef. FSX water with it's lovely whitecaps... :wub:

Still, a small price to pay.

When I went from P3D 2.5 to FSX:SE, I missed the P3D lighting.  Now I've got it back... but yes, the FSX whitecaps are gone.

There's always going to be something left behind...