Sign in to follow this  
dal330200

What Was Your Most Stable Version?

Hi Everyone,

I've been immersing myself in the forums, here and elsewhere, to research the VAS/memory management problem that most of us who have 3.4 are struggling with.  I'm convinced that it's a memory management problem.  In any case, I'm curious to find out what the last version was that did NOT have these VAS problems.  Maybe I can ask LM to let me roll it back since I started with 3.4 and can't get earlier versions. 

My VAS problems are pretty much identical to what everyone's been talking about recently. 

I'm still in the process of tweaking things, but maybe it will be worthwhile to see if an older version is a better option for decent performance/eye-candy until this issue gets addressed.

I can hold my own for the most part with out going near OOM unless I'm in the 777 coming into JFK, and next worst airports are at LAXv2 and DFW.  I don't have my sliders to the right, except for those run by the GPU, and am using low res textures.  Traffic rarely above 10% unless I'm going into a smaller airport and I'll kick it up a little.  Frames hover in the low 20s at most addon airports in the Airbus and 737, and of course, performance is spectacular in default ac.  The CS 777 is a performance hog, knocking me down to 12-15fps in most cases at any airport, under any condition.  Vectors are limited to primary and secondary roads and my cloud textures are also low. 

I guess what I'm getting at is I understand the VAS problem, and am learning how to manage settings in order to get the most performance vs graphics.  But, after 2 weeks of constant tweaking, researching and testing, version 3.4 just doesn't give back VAS once it takes it away.  The only way I can regenerate the memory is to save the flight, make it default, and restart P3D.  Fortunately because of the SSD, the process only takes about 1-2 minutes.  However, I'm wondering if a previous version would perform better, and if so, which one should I ask for?

Thanks,

John

I7-6700k @4.4-4.6ghz (don't know which is more stable yet)

16gb 2100 DDR4

GTX1060 4gb (little better than the 960, but not by much- may return it)

SSD for P3D and all addons

ORBX Vector, HD Airports, Global, North America

AS16

PMDG ngx

Aerosoft Airbus

Captain Sim 777 (unflyable), will upgrade to PMDG once I can get performance up

Various popular FSDT, Flightbeam, Taxi2gate and Fly Tampa for USA and CYYZ, and Aerosoft (EGLL) airports

MT6 (had UT2 migrated fine, but took a big performance hit and AI liveries too much to manage and update. 

Hello John,

I went back to 3.2 after having the same VAS issues so many running 3.4 experienced and since I went back I have zero VAS issues or any other issues for that matter.

I'm back being able to enjoy myself flying instead of constantly being worried if I will make it to my destination gate or if I will once again end up on my desktop.

So if you're able to somehow get version 3.2 that one comes highly recommended. 3.3 was also OK but I read many people saying 3.2 was the best one so that's why I went with that version.

Hope you'll be able to lay your hands on it and have your issues sorted!

Richard Åsberg

same here..blurry textures.so i went back to 3.2..put on realism shaderpack and it looks great.

don't know why.to be honest i couldn't care less.:-)

steve

3.4 No tweaks, no OOms, no problems. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3.3.5 here

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3.0 here  :smile:

Long ago I lost patience w/ what is required to upgrade/debug every 4 months or however often incremental upgrades come now and truth be told 3.0 works great and has since day one, a long time ago now.  I know LM benefits from the massive beta testing family of users, but I'd much rather see a bigger upgrade once every 1-3 years, beta tested to a very high level, and leave it at that.  This lowers the pressure on content developers to be able to relax until it's time to address changes.  I know the new architectural in 3.x helps along these lines, but I'd rather be flying than upgrading any day, and am surprised at all of the users here who will do these upgrades like clockwork, just for a couple new features along w/ the cost of discovering new problems have arisen.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3.0 here  :smile:

Long ago I lost patience w/ what is required to upgrade/debug every 4 months or however often incremental upgrades come now and truth be told 3.0 works great and has since day one, a long time ago now.  I know LM benefits from the massive beta testing family of users, but I'd much rather see a bigger upgrade once every 1-3 years, beta tested to a very high level, and leave it at that.  This lowers the pressure on content developers to be able to relax until it's time to address changes.  I know the new architectural in 3.x helps along these lines, but I'd rather be flying than upgrading any day, and am surprised at all of the users here who will do these upgrades like clockwork, just for a couple new features along w/ the cost of discovering new problems have arisen.  

I went from 3.2 which was good, to 3.3 which was a disaster, rolled back to 3.2 and then to 3.4. I am done now, unless they come out with an upgrade that guarantees me 15 more fPS with all sliders to the right, I am not messing with hot fixes, cold fixes, upgrades or downgrades, which usually wind up breaking something or other anyway. My current version works well, no crashes, good FPS, no stutters, and I finish every flight with zero problems. I doubt seriously if LM can improve on that. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Since HF2 was released 3.4 is probably the most stable version for me. I get excellent performance on my system and VAS is well under control.

Peter

I doubt seriously if LM can improve on that. 

Two things that would get my attention would be:  enhancing the built-in ATC which could be tricky since the voice strings would have to be done by other folks presumably, and making the map drag-able, meaning you can click your mouse and move the map, plus use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.  I think a lot of users would appreciate those features, though I know the massive beta testing family apparently isn't the target audience for the finished product.  Sorry, off topic....

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback everyone.  I decided to roll back to 3.2, which went uneventfully for the most part.  The performance increase is nothing short of remarkable, and even when I think I'm going to go OOM, the VAS seems to hold it's own.  I did some intense VFR flying around some of the payware airports with all of the settings maxed and had no problems.  Of course, as soon as I loaded the 737, Airbus or 777 I needed to start moving the sliders back a bit.  Then I decided to install some shader packs and everything went haywire after that, so I did a fresh install, which was probably a good idea anyway.  Let's see how she holds up over the next couple of days as I put the sim through its paces.  I have to say that I never saw such good graphics, smoothness and realism.  I used to be big on FSX until I stopped simming altogether about 8 years ago, so now that things are seemingly running well under this version, I'm glad to be back.

Can't wait to see what happens in 2017 with LM's BIG news...maybe its going to put VAS and OOM to rest until developers test the limits of the 64 bit version as the merry-go-round continues.

Happy New Year,

John

That's a great report to read John, happy new year to you too and happy flying!

Richard Åsberg

John what other scenery are u running? I been thinking about going back to 3.2. I remember that version being a little smooth than 3.4 on my system.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

3.3.5 here

Same here, best version of the sim since I started in 2001

14ppkc-6.png