Sign in to follow this  
richie894

XP11 Beta - colors look very pale and washed out

So I thought I would give XP11 a shot to see if it is worth transitioning from P3D. I downloaded a bunch of the free airport sceneries, mesh etc. Now I am quite impressed with the way the default aircraft handle. However I am a little disappointed with the visuals. The colors look really pale and washed out. Is there a setting or something which I am missing to add some richness to the world around me?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Make sure to set the visibility to max (100 sm) in the weather screen.

There have been complaints about excessive haze, so maybe developers will have a look at it for the next betas.

I agree with you, it is pale and washed out. In XP10 we used to be able to change the gamma setting to make the colours a little darker, but this option was removed in XP11. xEnviro and SMP improves the sky colours, but the scenery and trees are very washed out and as of yet I haven't found a way to fix it. Sadly, it seems the gamma option won't be coming back as the lack of it simplifies authoring textures for developers.

Maxx FX can do this for you, including setting the Gamma.

Edited by Jim Young
Commercial Advertising. Link removed. Violates the AVSIM Terms of Service and my pinned topic in Hangar Chat

I had to get used to the pale colors but at this moment, now I am used to it, I think it looks more realistic than the very full and dark colors of P3D (with Orbx). It looks like the sun really shines in XP. In P3D things look more cloudy. Maybe xP10 had fuller colors but I kinda like it as it is now.

• Upvote 7

The pale colors are a deal-breaker for me. I looked at parts of the east coast and the UK where it should be lush and green and it looks like I am in the high desert. I will let the BETA play out and see where we are at.

• Upvote 2

I had to get used to the pale colors but at this moment, now I am used to it, I think it looks more realistic than the very full and dark colors of P3D (with Orbx). It looks like the sun really shines in XP. In P3D things look more cloudy. Maybe xP10 had fuller colors but I kinda like it as it is now.

Totally agree. I never like the color in P3D but color in XP11 although a bit on the pale side really feels right after getting used to it. I do agree that color saturation, gamma etc can be further fine tuned, but XP11 is definitely in the ball park for rendering realistic looking scenery (at least to me).

Two things really standing out though are trees and roads. Their textures are just plain ugly, especially trees. Hope someone can develop some better looking textures to give them a face lift. 

Still too hazy in beta but it's more realistic than default fsx or p3d

If you're coming from fsx or p3d your brain is used to the dark colorful textures hehe.

Sort of like how human's have viewed soft white light bulbs for too long and hence switch to daylight led

• Upvote 4

If you're coming from fsx or p3d your brain is used to the dark colorful textures hehe.

Especially if you used ORBX's scenery.  I like the more realistic coloring of XP right now, though my colors aren't as washed out since I don't use any external weather/environment software, just a lua script for the clouds and general HDR control.  :Big Grin:

At first I thought this as well until I went back and looked at P3D again and it looked more colorful but also more "cartoonish."  I would, however, like to have access to a gamma slider.

• Upvote 1

At first I thought this as well until I went back and looked at P3D again and it looked more colorful but also more "cartoonish."  I would, however, like to have access to a gamma slider.

Adjusting the art controls, via the datarefs, can be a powerful tool.  Once you establish the adjusted settings, put it all in a lua script and have it load up on each flight automatically.  :smile:

Adjusting the art controls, via the datarefs, can be a powerful tool.  Once you establish the adjusted settings, put it all in a lua script and have it load up on each flight automatically.  :smile:

This.

Or ... read this  :wink:  .

• Upvote 1

I agree.  Reality isn't bright and vibrant like a video game.  Things often look hazy and muted, especially when you're looking across distances.

So I thought I would give XP11 a shot to see if it is worth transitioning from P3D. I downloaded a bunch of the free airport sceneries, mesh etc. Now I am quite impressed with the way the default aircraft handle. However I am a little disappointed with the visuals. The colors look really pale and washed out. Is there a setting or something which I am missing to add some richness to the world around me?

Payware Maxxfx - this will work for you - 20 bucks - cheap - about the closest you will get to the sliders offered in P3D - XP is still beta we dont know how many more options will be added to the menu system but for now I use this - pretty good actually

Edited by Jim Young
Link removed. Commercial advertising. Violates AVSIM ToS and my pinned topic in HangarChat

I agree.  Reality isn't bright and vibrant like a video game.  Things often look hazy and muted, especially when you're looking across distances.

Indeed. The majority of the flightsimmers aren't real pilots and thus are used to the view they have on ground with limited distance. Probably many of them expect more or less crystal clear view due to this. I recommend to have a closer :wink: look during the next holiday or business (or whatever) real flight.

Man is a creature of habit :smile:, isn't it?

• Upvote 4

Go to the Grand Canyon, and take a look from the north & south rims. Then change places depending on time of the day. The view can be extremely colorful with lots of detail, or washed out, with a blue haze. It's the same with real flight.  

I wouldn't recommend it just for this one feature, but I've noticed that the XEnviro weather plugin clears out much of the default local haze effect (unless you're actually socked in). The environment is generally brighter near the plane, and if you're in CAVOK conditions. 

I haven't decided to keep that plugin in favor of SkyMaxx Pro yet, but I thought I'd mention that.

As a side note, I've done a lot of real-world aerial photography in light planes and helicopters, and I do agree with uwespeed above. Most people don't realize how much haze in the air. Although, it can vary tremendously by location (industrial areas vs. remote wilderness), and if a weather front has moved in to clear out the air.

Right now we're having spectacularly dry and clear air in the Seattle area. I'm out on the Olympic Peninsula and I can see sharp views of the Cascades and Mount Baker in the far distance. We're in a pretty good area for visibility, but it's seldom *that* good. Ideally a weather plugin would adjust this dynamically based on the METAR, and I think XP11 does do that.

One of the main reasons I left FSX - P3D - XP is more realistic in many ways - was a breath of fresh air actually - more high quality payware offerings in the future it will be great

Payware Maxxfx  will give you access to gamma - but its the hdr strength in P3D menu which is key and Maxxfx does not offer that - thats why I posted on Laminar blog about this - probably wont care but at least I tried - Maxxfx will help a lot though 

It could also be that peoples monitors need a little adjustment, where p3d is vibrant but not so much in XP.

I noticed the same thing with a lot of haze and washed out a little but I have done all my flying in XP11 in the oculus rift.   When I actually saw it on the monitor it looked more pleasing so far as the colours which shows a difference from screen to screen.

What add-ons are you using?

If you refer to photos I posted they are from real life. As far as XP11 goes I use xEnviro and default scenery. Everything comes up pretty close to what I get to see from the cockpit when I fly