Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Prepar3D v4 Compatibility And PMDG Products

This certainly came from left field for me, I was expecting a P3Dv4 release in maybe 6-9 months time, not next week! So perhaps the worst kept sim secret, but the timeline certainly was a surprise!

I look forward to this as I can finally target hardware for better performance rather than have to selectively turn off things to avoid OOM and so on.

But there will still be people who load it up too much and get an OOM because they have literally used all their RAM... (depending on swap file of course)

Looks like it will be time to finally upgrade to P3D. I had been waiting to see the 64 bits and the addons support (not only PMDG) as my FSX was still doing quite well, I had not wanted to get the v3 and then pay again for getting v4, sounds like I was right to wait for this version to finally be there. I had some hopes for FSW but they have lived short since the EA and the 3rd party questions left unanswered. So that'll probably be it for me this time, just to plan to get the P3D version of my PMDG products of course :p

As all you guys I'm super excited about v4! My question is that will we see an improvement in FPS? if so about how much? Also what about terrain popping? Is that something fixed? 

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

In these 2 days I've read different thoughts about P3D v4, some people don't like the graphics, others think there are only few improvements and so on... Personally I'm super happy just for the idea not to have more VAS issues, to perform a flight from two "heavy" sceneries with Orbx Global and Vector as well, and without (I hope) problems :biggrin:

This is probably the biggest step to a rich future in the P3D world in my opinion.

Regards, Max

• Upvote 2

Massimo Solimbergo | MY PC =  MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H CPU: Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2400Mhz CL15 GPU: GTX1080 SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 1TB + 970PRO 512 GB + 840 PRO 512GB OS: Win11 Pro 64 Monitor: Samsung SJ55W PERIF: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + TPR SIM:  MSFS + P3D v5.3  WX: ASP4+ASCA+TOGA EnvText+REX EF Planes: FSLabs A320 | PMDG 777-737-747 Sceneries: ORBX | FlightBeam | FSDreamteam | Simwings | Aerosoft | FlyTampa | 29Palms | UK2000 Utilities: Navigraph FMS+Charts Subscription  VA: UKvirtual (www.ukvirtual.co.uk) Online Flying Network: VATSIM with VPilot

Yes but  dear Mr Randazzo,,,what about the 747 800 expansion for the QOS ????.please do not forget to give us news......

Thanx

As well as micro (or macro) updates for the 747-400...

• Upvote 1

James Goggi

Thought I'd show you some love and just picked up QOS II

Means waving goodbye to my 737NGX as that was bought on FSX *sob* but I think long term it's for the best.

Tony Morel

27 minutes ago, TMorel said:

just picked up QOS II

You will not regret that purchase!

18 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

With the release of Prepar3D v4, we have new sets of developer tools and many new features to work with that did not exist (or existed in less useful formats) in Prepar3D v3.  Our goal with the initial push into Prepar3D v4 is to bring you a fully x64 compatible product version that has been rebuilt using the new development tools for each product initially.  We will then be updating each product over time to include many of the new functions native to Prepar3D v4, and pushing those updates to you via our in-house product updater functionality.

Dynamic lighting is really impressive. I've always hoped to see true strobe illumination on the aircraft/ surrounding objects & clouds as well as cloud illumination from landing lights/strobes. I really hope this could finally be realized.

Darren Esannason

FDX706

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 77west said:

But there will still be people who load it up too much and get an OOM because they have literally used all their RAM... (depending on swap file of course)

Yeah, this is something we'd discussed when we were talking about the 64 bit conversion. I think it's very important to remind people that, while 64 bit will allow people to really push the sim in terms of what they put in it, keep in mind that this isn't a ground-up re-write of the sim. There are still limitations that have existed for years, and your hardware will also be a limiting factor (depending on your build).

Basically: It is an improvement. It is not perfection.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

I view the introduction of 64-bit code rather as a car driver changes up a gear as his speed increases. If you do't change up, you will exhaust the engine's capability for higher speeds. You cannot see the change of gear as a sudden increase in speed, but you can expect speed to increase now that the higher gear is engaged.

I am really looking forward to how the software developers will take advantage of newer facilities in the 64-bit code.

All round, extremely good news!

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

It's more like you have a much bigger bucket to put things in and it won't overflow so easily.

• Upvote 2

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'm sure the PMDG staff is aware of how the aviation world operates, so I must ask thee question:

Do simmers with high seniority in the sim world get a discount? :biggrin:

On a serious note, For sure converting over to P3D, so happy to see so many developers fully committed to the new sim.

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Basically: It is an improvement. It is not perfection.

This is what I think EVERYONE needs to understand.