Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Prepar3D v4 Compatibility And PMDG Products

21 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Again I want to stress that PMDG customers who have already purchased our products for Prepar3D v3 **as of the day we release the Prepar3D v4 compatible version** will receive the update at no cost...  (No matter what foolishness you read on the internet!  :biggrin:)

Does this mean that P3D products will go up in price once they are initially released to existing users? In which case I, as a new P3D customer, might be paying more for exactly the same licence existing customers have. That doesn't seem right to me, especially as the current price includes the 64 bit conversion.

I've been holding off converting to P3D because of its higher VAS usage compared to FSX-SE. With 64 bits that is no longer a factor, but the risk of a higher PMDG price could put me, and other new customers, off switching completely. I can't remember a situation before where PMDG increased the price of a product so this would be a first.

ki9cAAb.jpg

12 minutes ago, kevinh said:

Does this mean that P3D products will go up in price once they are initially released to existing users? In which case I, as a new P3D customer, might be paying more for exactly the same licence existing customers have. That doesn't seem right to me, especially as the current price includes the 64 bit conversion.

I've been holding off converting to P3D because of its higher VAS usage compared to FSX-SE. With 64 bits that is no longer a factor, but the risk of a higher PMDG price could put me, and other new customers, off switching completely. I can't remember a situation before where PMDG increased the price of a product so this would be a first.

Hmm... Forgive me, but where, in the quote you've taken from RSR in your original post, do you derive that conclusion, that PMDG would increase the price of new customers??

Am I missing something? :smile:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

thank you robert, cant wait to fly without having VAS in mind :)

• Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Glad to hear the news! Cloud Master will be my first purchase for P3D V4 :-)

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

I know I'm probably going to get jumped on and roasted for this, but any love for us who can't give up the MD11? 

• Upvote 1

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

15 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

I know I'm probably going to get jumped on and roasted for this, but any love for us who can't give up the MD11? 

Oh that would ROCK...

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

I reckon they've already stated their position on the MD-11, so I don't think there will be much loving going on.

• Upvote 2

David Porrett

3 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I reckon they've already stated their position on the MD-11, so I don't think there will be much loving going on.

Right,  then we will have to self love...err yeah...

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Right,  then we will have to self love...err yeah...

Okayyyyyyyy :ohmy:

David Porrett

3 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Okayyyyyyyy :ohmy:

Don't be so uptight...:laugh:

spacer.png

11 hours ago, kevinh said:

It's more like you have a much bigger bucket to put things in and it won't overflow so easily.

One important thing to note on this, I've seen some people elsewhere claiming that 32 to 64-bit isn't a big deal because it just means that the "bucket" is only twice as large and we will now OOM in P3Dv4 at 8GB VAS instead of 4. This is completely false - bit count is exponential and as a result we have a massively increased bucket size now - something like 16EB. That's "exabytes." If you haven't heard of them it goes like this: 1024 terabytes = 1 petabyte and 1024 petabytes = 1 exabyte. This is an unfathomable amount of memory and it should be impossible to cause a VAS-related OOM now. What you can still exhaust though, is your physical RAM and VRAM amounts, which means devs can't just go nuts using 8K textures everywhere or something like that. It will definitely still mean significant improvements though - textures will get much closer to what you see in modern games.

9 hours ago, kevinh said:

No idea how you got that out of RSR's announcement. No, the prices are not going up and will remain what they've been since we started supporting P3D.

3 hours ago, pvupilot said:

Not happening, sorry.

• Upvote 2

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I was discussing this at work today (I am in IT) and we agreed that it will also heavily depend on how P3Dv4 uses RAM, and whether it will use as much RAM as it can, or hit an invisible wall at some point. I am running 16GB now, and was looking to go to 64GB, but a wise colleague said, why not wait and see if v4 can even take advantage of that in the real world. (Obviously theoretically it can use exabytes, but Windows will limit you to 128GB on 10 Home and 2TB on Pro/Enterprise, and some apps just don't use as much as they could.)

I would be quite happy to get a machine with 512GB RAM and load my entire sim, scenery, planes everything into RAM, but the engine of P3D I doubt would handle this.

6 hours ago, Tabs said:

No idea how you got that out of RSR's announcement. No, the prices are not going up and will remain what they've been since we started supporting P3D.

Hello Ryan,

Well I guess this question came from the announcement in first page : 

Again I want to stress that PMDG customers who have already purchased our products for Prepar3D v3 **as of the day we release the Prepar3D v4 compatible version** will receive the update at no cost...  (No matter what foolishness you read on the internet!  )

With the small bit between stars I was wondering a little as well, but I guess maybe it is meant to say that once you purchase after v4 is released you'll have only v4, and not v3 and v4 compatible version, and not that the price will change. That's a releif because I definitely will finally make the switch from FSX to P3D and I could simply not go and buy everything at once :p

With the move to a 64 bit environment I hope devs don't decide - "its 64 bit so we won't bother optimising our products for the least amount of VAS usage". Although VAS and OOM's are pretty much out of the question now, for those that are running lower than 8GB of RAM it is not. Will you (PMDG) continue to optimise your products to use the least amount of VAS possible and not overload your aircraft with VAS eating items? 

12 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

With the move to a 64 bit environment I hope devs don't decide - "its 64 bit so we won't bother optimising our products for the least amount of VAS usage". Although VAS and OOM's are pretty much out of the question now, for those that are running lower than 8GB of RAM it is not. Will you (PMDG) continue to optimise your products to use the least amount of VAS possible and not overload your aircraft with VAS eating items? 

Why wouldn't they?

David Porrett