Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Prepar3D v4 Compatibility And PMDG Products

56 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

With the move to a 64 bit environment I hope devs don't decide - "its 64 bit so we won't bother optimising our products for the least amount of VAS usage". Although VAS and OOM's are pretty much out of the question now, for those that are running lower than 8GB of RAM it is not. Will you (PMDG) continue to optimise your products to use the least amount of VAS possible and not overload your aircraft with VAS eating items? 

I don't think they would just disregard any optimisation, first as long as they are developing for both 32 and 64 bits which I guess will still be the case for sometime, they will need those memory optimisation, and as I don't think there are doing a complete rewrite for 64 bits, a good part of the code base is probably similar for both 32/64 bits version.

Also just as a matter of fact you won't see a crash at 8GB if you have only 8GB of RAM. OOM occured because of the lack of possibility to adress more memory with 32 bits addressing system. With the 64 bits you can access theorically exabytes of memory, so if you were to run out of the physical RAM, Windows will then start using the SWAP memory (basically using the HDD as memory), so you should not see right away OOM until the HDD is full or the SWAP memory size limit is reached, which gives some margin above the RAM memory you have ;)

4 minutes ago, wedgantilles said:

I don't think they would just disregard any optimisation, first as long as they are developing for both 32 and 64 bits which I guess will still be the case for sometime, they will need those memory optimisation, and as I don't think there are doing a complete rewrite for 64 bits, a good part of the code base is probably similar for both 32/64 bits version.

Also just as a matter of fact you won't see a crash at 8GB if you have only 8GB of RAM. OOM occured because of the lack of possibility to adress more memory with 32 bits addressing system. With the 64 bits you can access theorically exabytes of memory, so if you were to run out of the physical RAM, Windows will then start using the SWAP memory (basically using the HDD as memory), so you should not see right away OOM until the HDD is full or the SWAP memory size limit is reached, which gives some margin above the RAM memory you have ;)

That is reassuring, I was considering upgrading to 32GB from my current 16GB of RAM, but as a couple posts before this stated, we will wait and see how P3D V4 uses the memory. However, I will be upgrading to a 1080Ti to take advantage of much better settings within v4 as my once tank 780Ti isn't so much of a tank anymore in todays simulators. 

4 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

That is reassuring, I was considering upgrading to 32GB from my current 16GB of RAM, but as a couple posts before this stated, we will wait and see how P3D V4 uses the memory. However, I will be upgrading to a 1080Ti to take advantage of much better settings within v4 as my once tank 780Ti isn't so much of a tank anymore in todays simulators. 

Yes and I would not worry too much because today there are OOM but they take some time to happen with 3GB of RAM usable by the sim, so with your 16GB I don't think you'd be having an issue very soon either. I'm on 16GB right now and I4ve not planned to change. I4m already on a GTX 1080 non Ti but I think that is more than enough :) I'm really looking forward the change as it will be the big jump from FSX to P3Dv4. 

• Upvote 1

I'm still using FSX: SE and I'm not sure what to do now. 

I only have the 747 QOTSII and Active Sky Next add-ons that are simulator specific. GSX is cross compatible, right?

Is the performance leap between FSX and P3D significant or not really? I have a 1070 so maybe that will make a difference since P3D uses your GPU more than FSX. 

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

Uses the GPU more than FSX, but not fully like modern games, and so on...

The performance jump from P3Dv3 to v4 easily gave me a decent increase in frames for equivalent settings/areas (not going to be specific since an exact number would only be good for someone with the exact same comp as me). It's definitely smoother, as most of the team has noted.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

The performance jump from P3Dv3 to v4 easily gave me a decent increase in frames for equivalent settings/areas (not going to be specific since an exact number would only be good for someone with the exact same comp as me). It's definitely smoother, as most of the team has noted.

Hi Kyle, do you think I'd see some improvement in that area as well?  Seriously considering P3Dv4 once all my favorite add ons are ported and working.  I have a GTX970 but do have money to upgrade a simple component.  Although I'd imagine my system is pretty balanced between CPU and graphics card.  Certainly won't worry about system RAM :laugh:

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

11 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I see, that's what I wanted to hear ;) 

But I'm still not sure if I want to spend $199 just to have better performance. I know that more frames will give you a smoother game experience but the price tag is a bit steep for me (I'm still a student). 

This also means I would have to repurchase the QOTSII, which is also more expensive than the FSX version.

I'm not trying to blame anyone here, I just think that P3D is a bit overpriced. Or perhaps this has to do with P3D not being a true flight simulator, right? It also simulates ships, if I'm not mistaken? It's basically a simulator platform then.

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

Good news the 747 will be available so fast! Just upgraded to 32gb of ram, cant wait to see the improvements over p3d v3.

• Upvote 1

sig1.png
sig2.png

Can you have both v3 and v4 installed at same time?

33 minutes ago, Brit said:

Can you have both v3 and v4 installed at same time?

Yes, all versions of P3D can coexist on the same computer. Confirmed by several beta testers.

Having said that, I don't know whether all addons will work simultaneously on one computer. Some developers such as Orbx have confirmed that they will.

Walter Meier

The PMDG products can coexist with any combination of P3D, FSX and FSXSE but I'm not sure they will install to P3D v3 and v4 at the same time.  That would changes to the installer and Operating Center and separate instances of each version for things like liveries.  Might get messy and I don't expect PMDG to want to accommodate something like that. It will be interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 2017-05-23 at 9:53 PM, Hoang said:

Good news, thank you for the fast response to the community.

Now I just don't know how I'm going to handle the sim without FSUIPC...

Hoang Le

Even more good news: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/83388-fsuipc-sdk-64bit/#comment-503251

Apparently he's running FSUIPC 5 64bit with v4 already.

I was worried about that too.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

17 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Even more good news: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/83388-fsuipc-sdk-64bit/#comment-503251

Apparently he's running FSUIPC 5 64bit with v4 already.

I was worried about that too.

Yeah, after we got the information that there will be FSUIPC5 very soon after V4 comes out along with PMDGs,ORBX,AS16,etc.... I immediately uninstall P3D V3 and everything from FSX:SE. Will go straight for V4.

Cheers,

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5