scottb613

Flight1 vs RXP GNS ?

Recommended Posts

Hi Folks,

In the market for a new GNS...

Now we have two choices - competition is good... I see that after paying around $120.00 for both GTN versions - Flight1 now includes them both for a single package lower price - I would assume as a direct result of competition with RXP...

===========================

Flight1 - GNS 430/530 - $54.00

vs

RXP -  GNS 430 - $49.95

RXP - GNS 530 - $49.95

===========================

So - while I appreciate Jean-Luc being back in the game - the obvious price choice seems to fall to Flight1... I don't see any price break for customers who owned previous versions of RXP products and I owned just about everything they made... LOL - I've purchased (4) GNS units from them already - both WAAS and Non-WAAS versions of the 430/530...

Is there any compelling reason - other than price - to choose one vendor over the other ? They obviously both use the same trainer software produced by Garmin...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

30 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

In the market for a new GNS...

Now we have two choices - competition is good... I see that after paying around $120.00 for both GTN versions - Flight1 now includes them both for a single package lower price - I would assume as a direct result of competition with RXP...

===========================

Flight1 - GNS 430/530 - $54.00

vs

RXP -  GNS 430 - $49.95

RXP - GNS 530 - $49.95

===========================

So - while I appreciate Jean-Luc being back in the game - the obvious price choice seems to fall to Flight1... I don't see any price break for customers who owned previous versions of RXP products and I owned just about everything they made... LOL - I've purchased (4) GNS units from them already - both WAAS and Non-WAAS versions of the 430/530...

Is there any compelling reason - other than price - to choose one vendor over the other ? They obviously both use the same trainer software produced by Garmin...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Excellent support. As a frequent visitor to their forum RXP Flight Sim Jean-Luc has responded to customers questions, issues, and suggestions on an almost daily basis except maybe on weekends. I too have purchased all RXP products from 2005 onwards. Have been very happy with the latest products GNS 430/530 and GTN 650/750.

I had purchased the F1 GNS for P3D before RXP's latest releases but it wasn't up to the same quality IMHO.

 

Share this post


Link to post

The Flight 1 GNS 530/430 includes this important note:

Product Note: The product does not include keyboard/joystick support for buttons/knobs. Crossfill/TCAD features will be available as a plug-in (for an additional cost) in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, LDP1949 said:

The Flight 1 GNS 530/430 includes this important note:

Product Note: The product does not include keyboard/joystick support for buttons/knobs. Crossfill/TCAD features will be available as a plug-in (for an additional cost) in the future.

This is very important if you use, or plan to use, Goflight or Saitek modules.  I have a Goflight module set up for the RXP GNS 530 (which does have controller/knob support) so that I never have to use my mouse with the RXP GNS 530.  Much more realistic twisting knobs and pushing buttons with my fingers than with a mouse!

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Is there any compelling reason - other than price - to choose one vendor over the other ?

Flight1 has always been there supporting their stuff, even in those dark days after ACES disbanded and demand for FSX products started tapering way off.

The RXP developer, OTOH, disappeared on us, was completely absent from his forums, and left his customers high and dry without support--for years. 

Fool me once...

Regards

 

Share this post


Link to post

The RXP units come with Crossfill.. that might matter if you have more than one unit in the panel.  They also come with a "no bezel" option.. may or may not matter to you..

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Folks,

Thanks one and all for your input - much appreciated... I haven’t decided yet but plenty to consider...

Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post

Scott,

I guess it's difficult for most of us to make direct comparisons between the two principal GNS products on the market because the likelihood is that we'll buy either one or the other.

In my case it was the RXP GNS 530 and I've been more than happy with the product itself and the support from Jean-Luc. As an RXP customer from a while back, I'm well aware of the hiatus in terms of development and support for existing products, but I welcome the return of RXP: competition drives innovation and all that!

My decision to go for the RXP offering was driven mostly by the richer set of features. However, I'll admit that the pricing made me think carefully. Although the RXP products are very good value compared to F1's original pricing structure, F1 did drop their prices dramatically as you noted. I also suspect this was a direct result of the reemergence of RXP as an active developer for FSX/P3D. Whilst I didn't expect RXP to match the new pricing level set by F1, I hoped for something like a half price 430 for 530 customers, and vice-versa.

 

20 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Is there any compelling reason - other than price - to choose one vendor over the other ? They obviously both use the same trainer software produced by Garmin...

It's worth pointing out that although both products use the Garmin trainer, the RXP GNS units use an updated version 3.3 which is compatible with newer database files from the GTN trainer.

There are also a number of other features which seem useful to me: the keyboard shortcuts as mentioned above, the excellent in-sim GUI for changing settings and of course the TAWS-B/TCAD and crossfill functions. Another factor which drew me to the RXP was the fact that the pop-up display doesn't disable the unit's screen in the VC.

New features are being added continually and one that I really like is the fact that the NAV volume control can be used to adjust the volume of morse idents. (I believe it works by adjusting the global 'cockpit sounds' level.)

There are a few things I don't like with the RXP implementation though. The COMM volume switch on the bezel works too, but its power-off position isn't implemented at present, though I'm hopeful it will be with a future update. The wind vector is also missing, though J-L has indicated that this may be fixed in the next update too. I also dislike the startup screen somewhat, specifically the fact that it shows a "registered to [my name]" message or words to that effect, which is a bit of an immersion killer in my opinion.

Anyway, my vote is for RXP!

Nick

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Nick M said:

Scott,

I guess it's difficult for most of us to make direct comparisons between the two principal GNS products on the market because the likelihood is that we'll buy either one or the other.

In my case it was the RXP GNS 530 and I've been more than happy with the product itself and the support from Jean-Luc. As an RXP customer from a while back, I'm well aware of the hiatus in terms of development and support for existing products, but I welcome the return of RXP: competition drives innovation and all that!

My decision to go for the RXP offering was driven mostly by the richer set of features. However, I'll admit that the pricing made me think carefully. Although the RXP products are very good value compared to F1's original pricing structure, F1 did drop their prices dramatically as you noted. I also suspect this was a direct result of the reemergence of RXP as an active developer for FSX/P3D. Whilst I didn't expect RXP to match the new pricing level set by F1, I hoped for something like a half price 430 for 530 customers, and vice-versa.

 

It's worth pointing out that although both products use the Garmin trainer, the RXP GNS units use an updated version 3.3 which is compatible with newer database files from the GTN trainer.

There are also a number of other features which seem useful to me: the keyboard shortcuts as mentioned above, the excellent in-sim GUI for changing settings and of course the TAWS-B/TCAD and crossfill functions. Another factor which drew me to the RXP was the fact that the pop-up display doesn't disable the unit's screen in the VC.

New features are being added continually and one that I really like is the fact that the NAV volume control can be used to adjust the volume of morse idents. (I believe it works by adjusting the global 'cockpit sounds' level.)

There are a few things I don't like with the RXP implementation though. The COMM volume switch on the bezel works too, but its power-off position isn't implemented at present, though I'm hopeful it will be with a future update. The wind vector is also missing, though J-L has indicated that this may be fixed in the next update too. I also dislike the startup screen somewhat, specifically the fact that it shows a "registered to [my name]" message or words to that effect, which is a bit of an immersion killer in my opinion.

Anyway, my vote is for RXP!

Nick

Nick, Well stated and I think the RXP support has been excellent. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Nick,

WOW - now THAT's a PIREP - thanks so much for taking the time to write it up and sharing your insights...

Regards,
Scott

 

Share this post


Link to post

My needs are not managed by price (there is not so much difference between both product) but by functionalities and quality.

i own GTN (750+650) and GNS (530+430) from both F1 and RXP.

i must admit RXP is a better product. No one fps loss (compare to Flight1 units that eats my fps) even with both VC and popup displayed, unit more responsive (not lag), far better graphic rendering, crossfill for GNS, units settings inside the sim without having to restart, hardware and shortcut support, can use default sim gps event, export GTN/GNS Flight plan to the sim (can be automatic), lastest trainer support (i like visual approach). better Taws managment, And i can continue...

The support ? the few issue i had has been resolve into the week with an update.

they have diseapers in the past ? i don't care, they are here now and responsive with a better product and full of projects for future (G500/600 for example but not only).

I have uninstall F1 units. there are not bad, they are good, but rxp ones are just better (for what i'm searching for.). So  my vote is for RXP

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know if the RXP GNS integrates with Flysimware's Cessna C441, 402C or Lear 35A?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

You basically have to use their RXP in-sim config app to set it up.

Share this post


Link to post

The RXP installation tool is a breeze and very user friendly. Moreover, there is a user panel.cfg thread on the RXP forum that contains fine tuning for many popular aircraft. 

Share this post


Link to post

I am in the market to get both a GNS 530/430 set and the GTN 760/650. Trying to decide between the two vendors has stalled my purchase so I am glad to see this thread. I have a few question for those that are familiar with or have used both.

1. From what I have read so far it appears that the only advantage of the Flight 1 products is price and all the functional and performance advantage goes with the RXP units. Is this correct?

2. If a 3rd party addon aircraft has an option to install a Flight 1 version of one of the gauges in its virtual panel does that mean an RXP version will work also and vice versa?

3. At some point in time I understand that Garmin removed some 4000 small airports from the trainer nav database. If I am lucky enough to get a copy of an earlier database with all the small airports included can this be installed in either vendors products?

4. How long does it take to switch databases? Flying in rural areas one would like the old database installed whereas in urban areas the latest one would probably be preferred.

Any feedback on these questions is much appreciated,

Ted

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I am in the market to get both a GNS 530/430 set and the GTN 760/650. Trying to decide between the two vendors has stalled my purchase so I am glad to see this thread. I have a few question for those that are familiar with or have used both.

1. From what I have read so far it appears that the only advantage of the Flight 1 products is price and all the functional and performance advantage goes with the RXP units. Is this correct?

2. If a 3rd party addon aircraft has an option to install a Flight 1 version of one of the gauges in its virtual panel does that mean an RXP version will work also and vice versa?

3. At some point in time I understand that Garmin removed some 4000 small airports from the trainer nav database. If I am lucky enough to get a copy of an earlier database with all the small airports included can this be installed in either vendors products?

4. How long does it take to switch databases? Flying in rural areas one would like the old database installed whereas in urban areas the latest one would probably be preferred.

Any feedback on these questions is much appreciated,

Ted

1.) This is highly subjective and since I don't own the Flight 1 G530/G430, it would be unfair and inappropriate for me to answer. However, as a RXP G530/G430 owner, I am very satisfied with the functionality, performance and support of the product;

2.) As previously mentioned, the RXP installation tools are very intuitive and user-friendly. Therefore, RXP installation for a 3rd party aircraft is very easy whether the aircraft indicates support or not. Case (s) in point for me are: Carenado T210M; Alabeo C207, C404; and the Milviz C310R. For the Alabeo C404, the RXP G430 legacy option for the FSX model never worked and Alabeo never responded to fix the problem. With the RXP V2, installation was a breeze. For the Milviz C310R with the REX Weather Radar and RXP Legacy G530/G430, I again experienced unsolvable installation problems. Again,  with the RXP V2 installation - No problems whatsoever. 

I'm not qualified nor knowledgeable enough to respond to #3 or #4. 

By the way, I am only a satisfied customer and not connected to RXP in any way. 

 

Les Parson

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, LDP1949 said:

Therefore, RXP installation for a 3rd party aircraft is very easy whether the aircraft indicates support or not

Thanks for responding Les. I assume that this statement means installation into the virtual panel and not a 2d panel or as a pop-up gauge.

Ted

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I assume that this statement means installation into the virtual panel

Yes.

To answer #3 & 4. The GTN allows your choice of Americas or Worldwide navdata. This you can do in sim on the fly.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I assume that this statement means installation into the virtual panel and not a 2d panel or as a pop-up gauge.

Ted,

Provided that the virtual cockpit has the 3-D geometry in place to support an existing GNS unit (or units), it shouldn't be a problem to integrate the equivalent RXP GNS V2.

That's exactly what I've done with A2A and RealAir's products. It just requires some minor edits to the panel.cfg file which can be done manually or with the help of the RXP installation tool.

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, bills511 said:

This you can do in sim on the fly.

Thanks Bill. That sounds very easy. :biggrin: I assume this is for both Flight1 and RXP.

Ted

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Nick M said:

it shouldn't be a problem to integrate the equivalent RXP GNS V2. That's exactly what I've done with A2A and RealAir's products. It just requires some minor edits to the panel.cfg file which can be done manually or with the help of the RXP installation tool.

Thanks Nick, that's the answer I was hoping to hear. Sounds like all this is boiling down to "you get what you pay for" in deciding between the two vendors.

Ted

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Flight1 and RXP

I can't speak for Flight 1 don't have their product.

I just double checked concerning changing the databases. It just takes seconds to change. And as an example Americas database includes Orbx Swanson 2W3 Worldwide does not. The GTN comes with cycle 1611.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

Thanks Bill. That sounds very easy. :biggrin: I assume this is for both Flight1 and RXP.

Ted

 

With RXP you make it on the fly into the sim.
for Flight1 you have to use their external application (but i don't know if you can do it with sim running)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now