Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Prepar3D v4.2 has been released

I see in the change notes some optimization has been done for dynamic lighting, I’ll be interested to see how much performance has increased.

Lots of fixes for time zones too, perhaps that will fix the issues some people have with trans Atlantic flight and ctd’s over Labrador.

• Upvote 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I've downloaded the update but i'm going to wait to see what other people make of it first. i.e. is it worth updating looking at the changelog i'm not so sure?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

If it fixes CTD at Labrador and improves DL I am a happy camper :)

• Upvote 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Darn it!  Why no updates to airports?

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

So the only things we will miss if we only update the Client is the following ? That's perfect as I guess most of us is not interested on these.

cwqubjI.png

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

WIll be interesting to see the improvement with Dynamic Lighting. Good to see that in the log.

4 minutes ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Darn it!  Why no updates to airports?

Like what?

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Like what?

Maybe he is reffering to navaids, vor, ils... ???

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Wow, lots to like in this one compared to 4.1. 

Ones I like:

1. Minor improvements to terrain paging performance. Hopefully this will help with the slow autogen loading on arrival.

2. DL improvements.

3. Cloud shadows fix for multiple views. Hopefully when turning my head with Track IR I can now see consistent shadows instead if them disappearing.

4. Ultra water performance with 10 series Nvidia cards.

5. All the time zone and DST fixes.

• Upvote 3

Eric 

If you have ANY add-ons that require a specific P3D V4.x version, then you need to contact the vendor, not LM.  There are MANY 3rd party add-ons that do version checking ... a short list

ChasePlane
F1 GTN 750/650
HiFi AS4
REX Weather Radar
FSUIPC (yes Pete is on vacation and will be back 12/20)
and more ...

There were many fixes that several 3rd party vendors were waiting for in order to complete and/or update their products.

There was some Dynamic Lights performance tuning that in my testing did help performance but don't expect miracles.  CUDA libraries was also updated to v8.0 which should benefit nVidia 10 series GPUs (CUDA is used for water processing, Ultra).

I would STRONGLY ADVISE you wait for your 3rd party vendors to have updates available BEFORE you update to V4.2.

Cheers, Rob.

3 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Now THAT is funny.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

4 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

If you have ANY add-ons that require a specific P3D V4.x version, then you need to contact the vendor, not LM.  There are MANY 3rd party add-ons that do version checking ... a short list

ChasePlane
F1 GTN 750/650
HiFi AS4
REX Weather Radar
and more ...

There were many fixes that several 3rd party vendors were waiting for in order to complete and/or update their products.

There was some Dynamic Lights performance tuning that in my testing did help performance but don't expect miracles.  CUDA libraries was also updated to v8.0 which should benefit nVidia 10 series GPUs (CUDA is used for water processing, Ultra).

I would STRONGLY ADVISE you wait for your 3rd party vendors to have updates available BEFORE you update to V4.2.

Cheers, Rob.

Pete already said last week that the newest version of fsuipc will work with 4.2.

• Upvote 3

Eric