South World Scenery

FAOR , Johannesburg O R Tambo

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Great news! Now we just need Orbx to finally release their Africa land class...

James

There is a comprehensive preview coming this week apparently.

Please do scenery for FALE King Shaka International, FAPE Port Elizabeth, FAEL East London, FABL Bloemfontein, FAKN Kruger National International, FAGG George

18 hours ago, kurtb said:

Please do scenery for FALE King Shaka International, FAPE Port Elizabeth, FAEL East London, FABL Bloemfontein, FAKN Kruger National International, FAGG George

Have a look at these airports from NMG. Realistic and light on frame rates.

Regards.

Leon

22 hours ago, kurtb said:

Please do scenery for FALE King Shaka International [...]

A freeware version is being done by the developer 'Rouwei'. You can search for the 'King Shaka International Airport (Durban)' WIP thread on the FSDeveloper Showroom forum.

3 hours ago, Baron58 said:

Save yourselves €17 and wait for the freeware version of FALE instead. It will be of a better quality than the NMG one.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:43 AM, South World Scenery said:

More previews of OR Tambo on our page

https://www.facebook.com/SOUTH-WORLD-Scenery-176410579623018

Looking forward to more preview shots and the release date announcement!

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened to South World Scenery and their Johannesburg scenery development.

Their Facebook page is gone and their suggested timeline of Fall / Autumn has been and gone....

Thanks

Well that's a huge pity.  I've just noticed the same.  It would be odd if someone put that amount of development into a scenery and then just disappeared.

Sad if true.  But then, a good metaphor for South Africa generally.

A quick correction - they are now back up on Facebook with new screen shots. No news of a delivery date yet but quality takes time and given there is hardly any good scenery for SA (apart from the new FACT), I can wait 😉

On 11/4/2018 at 8:23 PM, Baron58 said:

The NMG FAOR scenery is fairly primitive and basic.  I'm definitely hoping this new one will step things up at Jo-Berg.

In addition to their new FACT scenery, FSDG has Nairobi/Jomo Kenyatta Intl depicted on the addon map displayed on their website, and if you click on it "October 2018" comes up, but their product page has nothing there.  I'm guessing they missed their target release date and aren't keeping their website current, so maybe we'll also have HKJK in the mix before too long.

A whole lot of the airports across Africa are fairly simple, with open ramps, relatively few hangars/buildings etc...pity that more of them aren't being done.

Regards

5 hours ago, w6kd said:

The NMG FAOR scenery is fairly primitive and basic.  I'm definitely hoping this new one will step things up at Jo-Berg.

In addition to their new FACT scenery, FSDG has Nairobi/Jomo Kenyatta Intl depicted on the addon map displayed on their website, and if you click on it "October 2018" comes up, but their product page has nothing there.  I'm guessing they missed their target release date and aren't keeping their website current, so maybe we'll also have HKJK in the mix before too long.

A whole lot of the airports across Africa are fairly simple, with open ramps, relatively few hangars/buildings etc...pity that more of them aren't being done.

Regards

A HKJK *was* released a long time ago by OrientalSim. I remember using it and quite liking it, though it's outdated since the HKJK fire and new concourse that was constructed. Still, best we have right now. I have not installed it in P3Dv4 but I did install their Dammam OEDF, which works well for me. Might be worth a try if you don't want to wait for FSDG?

https://secure.simmarket.com/orientalsim-nairobi-intl.phtml

The Orientalsim HKJK works fine in P3D v4, and even years later isn’t a bad scenery (certainly miles ahead of anything NMG have released).

James

3 hours ago, honanhal said:

The Orientalsim HKJK works fine in P3D v4, and even years later isn’t a bad scenery (certainly miles ahead of anything NMG have released).

Did you do anything special to get it to work?  I had showstopper-level problems with missing ground textures when I tried it in P3Dv4.

Regards

15 hours ago, w6kd said:

Regards

Yup, Nairobi is on my wish list for sure.  FSDG have filled a huge gap with their choice of airports - and excellent quality levels.

Glad SWS is up and running.  Would have been hugely disappointing to lose FAOR again after the Aerosoft fiasco.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

Did you do anything special to get it to work?  I had showstopper-level problems with missing ground textures when I tried it in P3Dv4.

Regards

Just took a look in the scenery folder and it looks like I left everything as is, nothing disabled or altered. I didn't notice any missing ground textures when I installed it and used it a while back, although it's possible I just missed it.

James

On 1/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, ErichB said:

Well that's a huge pity.  I've just noticed the same.  It would be odd if someone put that amount of development into a scenery and then just disappeared.

Sad if true.  But then, a good metaphor for South Africa generally.

A bit "jittery" there maybe? 🤣 Metaphors aside, be patient. I'm also looking forward to the release. Don't judge all your expectations on a Facebook page going offline.

11 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

A bit "jittery" there maybe? 🤣 Metaphors aside, be patient. I'm also looking forward to the release. Don't judge all your expectations on a Facebook page going offline.

It's not like developers haven't disappeared into the ether before.  Glad this is not the case here.

29 minutes ago, ErichB said:

It's not like developers haven't disappeared into the ether before.  Glad this is not the case here.

Agree. As you said, why develop so far and then abort the project? I see they have updated their page with new pictures. Hopefully we also get ORBX OLC Africa next month as advertised in their forum.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:02 PM, Benjamin J said:

A HKJK *was* released a long time ago by OrientalSim. I remember using it and quite liking it, though it's outdated since the HKJK fire and new concourse that was constructed. Still, best we have right now.

I was there in person in April 2016 and will be returning this March. Agree with what you say and am pleased it works in P3D v 4 too,but bit outdated by today's standards. Would love some more African airports to evolve through some developer, one day.

4 hours ago, vc10man said:

Would love some more African airports to evolve through some developer, one day.

FSDG is your best bet by far. They've made some good quality scenery and are pumping out at least three more African airports this year: DTNH, GMMN and HKJK.

African airports already released by them: FACT, GOBD, DTTJ, HEMA, HESH, GMAD.
Technically, their FIMP, FSIA and island of Reunion (FMEE & FMEP) sceneries are also African, sitting on the African/Somali tectonic plate.

All of their sub-Saharan airports are real world destinations from FAOR.

6 minutes ago, F737NG said:

FSDG is your best bet by far

Already have a few from them, i.e Seychelles, Cabo Verde, Mauritius, Tromelin,Reunion, Paro

HKJK I very much look forward to.