Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Caution on CCLeaner

I know a lot of users on Avsim use this product - this article is just a caution - also the new version could affect performance by running in the background.

This is meant for information only - 

https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

Vic

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I stop updating ccleaner for some time now i noticed that where a lot of updates without changing anything on the program core, at least visible changes.

Theres also a clean simple alternative... BleachBit https://www.bleachbit.org/

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

There is a lot of junk in the registry but I would never use any sort of "Cleaner" tool to attempt to make it "better", since registry entries are so very application specific and can be used for any number of reasons there is no way a "Cleaner" could know those reasons.  Not to mention, many of the CCleaner's often have a virus an/or root kit in them ... these end up being "hacked" versions making to main stream download servers.

If one needs to check their registry for possible corruption then use Microsoft's own built in tool "SFC /SCANNOW" https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Another product to watch out for is WinZip ... considering WinZip is payware, it's shameful that they install monitoring software that often triggers Virus scanners ... WinZip claim it's not malware, but IMHO it clearly is and most of the Virus vendors will agree that it's malware and hence don't exclude it in their virus/malware databases.  WinZip itself is fine, but it installs WinZip Smart Monitor ... this is the problem.  However, you can just delete the folder C:\Program Files\WinZip\WinZip Smart Monitor (it will not impact zip/unzip operations).

Cheers, Rob.

I never use registry cleaners for the reasons Rob outlined. I've seen a lot of Avsim users who post about using CCleaner which prompted my warning.

And, for the record, we don't need a litany of users posting that "they've been using registry cleaners forever with no problems".

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I read where Windows 10 updates will soon delete programs like CCleaner, Advanced System Care, Bleachbit , etc., and treat them as malware.  Not sure how upset I would be if I owned a $20 program and Microsoft came in and deleted it.  Programs like Malwarebytes will remove them too (by putting them into Quarantine).  I personally have no problems with the payware program, Advanced System Care, but I just use it for Registry Cleaning and fixing shortcuts.  I've used CCleaner before but it just removes too much and I can see where others would get upset if all of their saved passwords in cookies were lost after a cleaning. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

25 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I read where Windows 10 updates will soon delete programs like CCleaner, Advanced System Care, Bleachbit , etc., and treat them as malware.

If thats the case Microsoft is going to have another pile of law suites in their hands, because they cant mark anything as malware and delete it from any computer that is not, i found that one hard to believe, but you know their are the masters of the old good propaganda!

• Like 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

You are right but they will try to get around the law by calling it malware.  I'm going to have to see if I can dig up the article I saw.

Ah, here's one -

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I used CCleaner once, and the very next day I discovered I'd lost all my hair, and my goldfish had died. Far worse though, my bubblegum had lost its flavor on the bedpost overnight!!!

Was that just a coincidence? I think not. Beware! :laugh:

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I've used CCleaner before but it just removes too much and I can see where others would get upset if all of their saved passwords in cookies were lost after a cleaning. 

There are times when you want the system pretty much bleached. Afterwards, Roboform still retains all my trillions of years of passwords that would otherwise long since be forgotten.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've been using registry cleaners forever with no problems. This is not an endorsment of any specific product and is meant for information only.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

I've been using registry cleaners forever with no problems. This is not an endorsment of any specific product and is meant for information only.

Me too.  Even the registry cleaner inside Ccleaener.  No issues whatsoever. 

Thb, Microsoft is just as bad.  Windows 10 is a joke.

Edited by Orlaam
  • Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

4 hours ago, Orlaam said:

Me too.  Even the registry cleaner inside Ccleaener.  No issues whatsoever. 

Thb, Microsoft is just as bad.  Windows 10 is a joke.

To bad then it will be the only windows in town some time in the future poss 2020.

Maybe Facebook will make an OS it only wants your contacts web history to sell.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

In Win 10 go to Start => Apps => Startup and switch CClearner off. It won't star next time you reboot Win's.

Cheers,