Hello, i have an idea:

a platform in where you can rent an airport. For example, if i want to go from Barcelona to Venice, i rent those airports for the time of the flight (a Little bit more) for example: 3 hours. That would mean, 3 euros. Like this, you dont have to buy an airport that maybe you Will not use never more. Like this, every time i want to go to venice, i Will pay3 euros. I would have to go 10 times to venice to reach the Price of it. Some people may not want to pay, but some people like me:yes!.

• Like 3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Pretty sure that’s the landscape we’re all are going to be in 2-3 years from now

46 minutes ago, abranpuko said:

Hello, i have an idea:

a platform in where you can rent an airport. For example, if i want to go from Barcelona to Venice, i rent those airports for the time of the flight (a Little bit more) for example: 3 hours. That would mean, 3 euros. Like this, you dont have to buy an airport that maybe you Will not use never more. Like this, every time i want to go to venice, i Will pay3 euros. I would have to go 10 times to venice to reach the Price of it. Some people may not want to pay, but some people like me:yes!.

Interesting. How many addon airports I have purchased and used less times then I have fingers to count. 

Kind of like a Netflix for add-ons? Rent with option to buy.

Edited by PATCO LCH
  • Like 1

Yeah it's a software model some companies are starting to explore.  I wonder though if software written like this would somehow be easier for the hackers to steal for full-time use.  I'm an IT guy but the cyber stuff is moving quicker than I can keep up with.

I've got a self-imposed mortarium on buying any new airports until I visit the ones I've already purchased!

Mark

• Like 2

God no, hell no, and did i mention, (heck) NO!!!

Edited by charliearon
We get your point!
  • Like 5

Great idea!

Also, we could have mandatory commercials at tod, maybe skippable if you pay a certain amount.

Pushback? That will be $5 please.

Fuel truck you say? .....

🤣

• Like 2

I guess I'm not understanding or agreeing with this concept.

With the renting idea, a few basic things to consider: 

• will all developers participate? who decides?
  • which airports, all of them? cities too? which ones, the closest only? or what if where I want to fly is not available? If all airports are available, then we already have it! Its called P3D!
  • what about standards of quality? - them standards will suffer if rental is a dollar an hour, and because there is no guarantee of anybody renting the product.
  • how much would the platform cost? Free?
  • what about the airplanes, rent them too?
  • What about alternates? I usually have 2-4 alternates in my plan.

What if I intended to fly from KDFW to KELP IFR; KELP has an Airforce base (KBIF) 2 NM northeast that can very well be mistaken for KELP, will KBIF just not be there or will I have to rent that too for realism?

If you're talking a single developer (whether LM or LR) could develop a platform with the whole world in, for example Flightbeam/True Earth quality, but somehow block all airports until somebody rents one, this would be a total shame and waste. 

It is very obvious that the majority of this community over several decades has totally dismissed this idea of incomplete flight sim platforms.

The way and as much as I fly, it could cost me $1000-$4000 a month, and I would own nothing!  

If Lockheed Martin could/would hire (people from) quality add-on companies so they could go totally full time (even overtime) developing (scenery aircraft utilities), this would get us where we need to be.

Edited by pracines
  • Like 2

The concept sounds great but the practical application and usability might not be that easy 

+5 who wants to rent a airport, unrealistic if you ask me

Hmm, absolutely not! It will be going down the road of subscription simming. Like so many things today, drip, drip money out of your acccount. The day that happens is the day I hang up my simming jacket. EDIT: Actually, it may be a good idea as an option, but not if it was mandatory.

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Too much hassle and probably money, too. Too many incidental airports/towns along the way. I don't want to have to do that much thinking and planning about scenery before I would fly somewhere.   If that sytem became mandatory,  I would just lock my sim down where it is now, fly, and be happy.

Jeff

• Like 1

Won’t happen .

Developers are there to make money and waiting for someone to rent an addon is a very unsure concept...

And for us Fs pilots : imagine 4 flights  per week = 4X 2 euro = 8 euro per week = + 400 per year = 1000 euro in 2.5 year...

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

Most people rant about couatl (which would be a realistic tool to realize such a time-based system), but a lot of people like the idea of a rent system.

This doesn't fit together.

As things are never white or black, there is the wonderful option that a person can choose whether to buy an airport or rent it. The best thing in this world is to have the option to choose.
There are certain airports that I only want to go to once in my life. With respect to piracy, currently all the airports that are sold are also pirated. With which, one still has the option to choose whether to buy or download them. So I would not think about the pirates at the time of offering the rent of an addon.
with the passage of time I have discovered that I do not wish to possess things eternally. That I am happy using them from time to time. Imagine 20,000 users paying more than ten times the rent of Barcelona, San Francisco, etc ...

There may also be new developers that offer this idea apart from those that already exist. After all, I could design an airport and rent it myself.

That’s thinking outside the box for sure, however I personally wouldn’t like that idea, I enjoy Knowing that right now I can start the flight sim and use it for 4 hours and it won’t cost me anything (other then my “overhead” cost you can say)

It's kind of an interesting idea on the face of it, but it's not really a practical proposition when you begin to think about the actual mechanics of how it would/could be implemented.

I like the idea as an option, but not as the only way to acquire an airport.

There are lots of really good airports out there I will never buy because I would only fly to them once or twice.  I’d certainly rent them for the occasion if the price was right.

Major hubs and airports I use a lot I would continue to purchase.

2 hours ago, abranpuko said:

As things are never white or black, there is the wonderful option that a person can choose whether to buy an airport or rent it.

Many things in business and life are black and white (sometimes red!).

This concept cannot even be closely be compared to services like Netflix, I urge everyone not to be fooled with this comparison. 

I'm sincerely trying to understand how this could work on a large scale. On a small scale I have no problem understanding an individual like yourself trying this, but I don't see much success. Just with a quick thought; for a company, that barely has enough time and resources as it is, to be able to survive on making and managing rental options for their products. Where is the time if done manually? If its an automated process, that's a whole new set of programming and management that will cost time (possibly very time sensitive!) and money as well, w/o a certain profit.

Won't implementing anything like this make the price of scenery go up for those who prefer to buy?

The other thing that comes to mind is "big brother", it would seem that there will have to be more intrusion.

For those who like this idea, can any one of you suggest a cost effective, fool-proof, successful, or practical way of implementing this (even as an option) for the good of all the community?

It would also be good to hear from some reputable scenery developers about what they think.

Edited by pracines

41 minutes ago, pracines said:

The other thing that comes to mind is "big brother", it would seem that there will have to be more intrusion.

+1

The airports that you rent (hourly)? Are they streamed? What if the providers server crashes midflight. What if after a long flight you reach your destination and there is a graphic issue, elevation, AI traffic, outdated AFCAD gate assignments, etc.

Reminds me of Microsoft Flight. Charging gamers for downloading extra content, scenery. We all know how that turned out.

Edited by BillS511

Certainly seems like an interesting idea to me. That said, they key from the consumer side is that it’s an option, not the only way to get an airport. In other words, I’d absolutely want the option either to buy forever or to rent. A model where my only option was to keep paying again and again I’d view very, very negatively.

James

Subscription = bye bye

Having to pay everytime before I can do what I want to do = bye bye

As an option it might be nice though. But I absolutely don't see this happen.

I don't think abranpuko was saying he had the mechanics and business model worked out but was only putting forth an idea. You know, like Edison  , Bell and the Wright Brothers had an idea. "They'll never get that thing off the ground."

The customer would simply be given the option to rent for say a day or buy the product if he so chooses. Or he/she could simply use default airports if so desired. Much the same technology that allows some developers to offer time limited trial periods. No one could make anything mandatory.  It would be completely up to any developer if they wanted to offer their product through this or any other venue. Purchase prices might go down if developers were seeing decent return on their product from rental or at least encourage further development. Maybe not. If you don't want to spend you can start your sim and fly free as a bird to any default airport in your sim as I often do to places over seas I fly to knowing it will be a while before I fly that route again. Or to an addon you already own.

Yes. it would be started with out a certain profit, like every other business venture since the dawn of man.

In reference to the Big Brother he's already there so what more intrusion would you be worried about. 

Good idea abranpuko. Keep thinking man. Every improvement begins with an idea.

Edited by PATCO LCH
  • Like 1

The idea would be invented and thought to work, not for there to be problems. (That's my philosophy of life)

If I start thinking about the aspects against, things will probably stay as they are.

This idea arises to think that many times we will not travel more than once to a certain airport.

Someone has said to rent them in a ridiculous idea ... but, buy them not?

What do I do with "mikonos airport" all my life?
Or charles de gaulle?

It depends on my tastes, my needs.

So it can be an "option" and not the only way.

Invented example:
- Buy Tenerife Airport: (for example, 35.5 euros.)
-buy barcelona airport: (for example) 45.5. euros

options:
-to rent tenerife airpot + barcelona: 2 euros.
(idea: when renting them, you have them for a whole day)

otherwise, the developers have to think about how they are very well designed and studied so as not to fail in the servers. But currently, the simulators, cards, air traffic, and airports sold, often fail in presentation, mesh, details, etc, etc ...

anyway. it's just an idea although maybe ... something else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I don't think abranpuko was saying he had the mechanics and business model worked out but was only putting forth an idea. You know, like Edison  , Bell and the Wright Brothers had an idea. "They'll never get that thing off the ground."

The customer would simply be given the option to rent for say a day or buy the product if he so chooses. Or he/she could simply use default airports if so desired. Much the same technology that allows some developers to offer time limited trial periods. No one could make anything mandatory.  It would be completely up to any developer if they wanted to offer their product through this or any other venue. Purchase prices might go down if developers were seeing decent return on their product from rental or at least encourage further development. Maybe not. If you don't want to spend you can start your sim and fly free as a bird to any default airport in your sim as I often do to places over seas I fly to knowing it will be a while before I fly that route again. Or to an addon you already own.

Yes. it would be started with out a certain profit, like every other business venture since the dawn of man.

In reference to the Big Brother he's already there so what more intrusion would you be worried about. 

Good idea abranpuko. Keep thinking man. Every improvement begins with an idea.

thank you very much!!! i Will continue thinking about that and more. 

for example, the guy who invented PSXseecon traffic is an inspiration for me about the good things where the ideas can come true!

(sorry for my english)

thanks PATCO and also to the others for discussing.