ray hughes

RTX 2080 installed

Hi, just for interest to those contemplating a graphics card upgrade.

I have removed my GTX 980 and put in place the RTX 2080 8Gb.

I chose not to upgrade my CPU ( I7 overclocked to 4.0 GHZ) for the time being, and nor do I have an SSD

I have a 4K 27" monitor and have set the resolution to 4k within the Simulator.

In general I am very happy with this purchase.

I am seeing an increase of around 11 to 20 FPS even after tuning up the graphical options  - and much more detailed sharper images. I am using the latest NVidia drivers.

It runs smoothly with AI traffic set at 80 percent. Orbx scenery, 3rd Party Airports, GSX.. Flight 1 GTN and a number of 3rd party aircraft.

Happy camper..

• Like 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good to know.  I've got a 980 at the moment... but really my entire systems needs an update.

For sure, You will recive nice FPS impact from 980 to 2080. Between 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti its a small difference, like few fps but less stutters.  

• Like 1

I have switched from GTX 1080 to RTX 2080 ti and I noticed no fps improvement on the same high settings. I have recorded 2 videos using P3D replay and ran it on both cards watching fps.

I think that RTX series is an overshoot for Prepar3D for now

However, I have noticed significant fps gain in DCS (no less than 70%) and in XP11 (but for that sim I haven't done any benchmark).

Edited by twojastara

9 minutes ago, twojastara said:

I have switched from GTX 1080 to RTX 2080 ti and I noticed no fps improvement on the same high settings. I have recorded 2 videos using P3D replay and ran it on both cards watching fps.

I think that RTX series is an overshoot for Prepar3D for now

However, I have noticed significant fps gain in DCS (no less than 70%) and in XP11 (but for that sim I haven't done any benchmark).

It depends on your settings.

GPU : resolution , AA , shadows , water ultra

I would be highly surprised if there is any real improvement over a 1080ti, which to be honest, is the real yardstick. There is bound to be a clear improvement over a GTX980 😀

Edited by Rockliffe

I upgraded from a 1080ti to a 2080ti and i have found a real improvement in P3D4.

As Gerard noted, it depends what and how are you flying.

Using DL and 4K, i have increased some settings having higher number and more stable FPS flying with Storms, Rain, etc..

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

I would be highly surprised if there is any real improvement over a 1080ti, which to be honest, is the real yardstick. There is bound to be a clear improvement over a GTX980 😀

My current 2080Ti performs exactly like my 2x 1080Ti SLI setup before..

One 1080Ti performer 40% less.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Good to know.  I've got a 980 at the moment... but really my entire systems needs an update.

Me too.  The finding from the OP is very good.  I am also eyeing the whole system, but looking at the steep price tag, I may have to just settle for the GTX 2080 only for now.  My CPU is still very good and still going strong after all these years.

27 minutes ago, GSalden said:

My current 2080Ti performs exactly like my 2x 1080Ti SLI setup before..

One 1080Ti performer 40% less.

Wow, Gerard! Hmmm, so what difference is there between the 1080ti and the 2080 in real terms? I need  to be convinced 😂

Edited by Rockliffe

My 2GB GTX 770 performs, er........not quite as well as the above power stations. However, it has been a loyal and trusted companion for the past four years, and I didn't need to re-mortgage my house to get it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Wow, Gerard! Hmmm, so what difference is there between the 1080ti and the 2080 in real terms? I need  to be convinced 😂

I have 3 views, water at Ultra, clouds/terrain shadows distance at Max, and Clouds DD at Max

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

I have 3 views, water at Ultra, clouds/terrain shadows distance at Max, and Clouds DD at Max

Hmm, interesting. And I see you are running three monitors Gerard? I'm assuming these are 1920x1080?

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, interesting. And I see you are running three monitors Gerard? I'm assuming these are 1920x1080?

You beat me too it. 

How much VRAM gets consumed when high terrain textures is enabled?.  Best test would be in PMDG bird in KSFO, installed on top of Orbx NorCal, installed on top of FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC NA.  Along with UTL AI.  And Active Sky Next+ASCA.  

How is the performance of the 2080?  I really want to know, very excited to hear your experience and congrats on getting a very cool card.  

34 minutes ago, tooting said:

You beat me too it. 

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Yes , 3x 1920x1080

If they were 4K I needed a 2080Ti SLI set or 3 seperate 2080Ti cards.

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

How much VRAM gets consumed when high terrain textures is enabled?.  Best test would be in PMDG bird in KSFO, installed on top of Orbx NorCal, installed on top of FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC NA.  Along with UTL AI.  And Active Sky Next+ASCA.  

How is the performance of the 2080?  I really want to know, very excited to hear your experience and congrats on getting a very cool card.  

My experience so far has been great. I have hi res REX textures on clouds, 4k Res, and All of the above Orbx Stuff. Usage with my older I7 seems to have not made too much difference as I cannot detect bottlenecks - but then I haven't tried all my 3rd party aircraft yet, mainly the Aerosoft A320 Prof and Leonardo Maddog.

What I specifically notice with the lastest Nvidia drivers and this card at 4k res, is the sharpness and detail. Aircraft and scenery has never looked to so good.

To be fair, I did run into one oddity on an evening flight - EBBR to LOWI. As I approached LOWI and the Alps, the mountains remained blurred for the longest time before suddenly sharpening into detail. I was flying the Airbus A319 and descending per the flight plan. Not sure why or what happened in this case. The same flight in daytime was fine.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ray hughes said:

My experience so far has been great. I have hi res REX textures on clouds, 4k Res, and All of the above Orbx Stuff. Usage with my older I7 seems to have not made too much difference as I cannot detect bottlenecks - but then I haven't tried all my 3rd party aircraft yet, mainly the Aerosoft A320 Prof and Leonardo Maddog.

What I specifically notice with the lastest Nvidia drivers and this card at 4k res, is the sharpness and detail. Aircraft and scenery has never looked to so good.

To be fair, I did run into one oddity on an evening flight - EBBR to LOWI. As I approached LOWI and the Alps, the mountains remained blurred for the longest time before suddenly sharpening into detail. I was flying the Airbus A319 and descending per the flight plan. Not sure why or what happened in this case. The same flight in daytime was fine.

Wow!!!! Thank you for sharing your excellent experience with the RTX.  

4 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I'm using a 2080 in VR because my 1080 is in repair under warranty. It is possible to crank up shadows and increase SSAA=4 and Oculus supersampling to 2.0 with a GPU load of roughly 75%. The image in a rift first gen headset with this heavy AA is very usable image quality for GA and good enough to wait for second generation headsets to arrive. Overall smoothness of head tracking has improved slightly but it was already very good. Downside is that most of the sim is CPU limited so there is little FPS improvement and when the bank angle is significant and the terrain is moving quickly there can still be long frames on SSAA=4 but not on MSAA=8. Overall I doubt the performance gain is worth the price because a decent 1080 drives first gen VR very well in P3D with only slight concessions when the settings are appropriately applied. EDIT: If you have a lot of money to burn an RTX card is still "nice".

Edited by glider1
  • Like 1

Glider1 thanks for the comment.  I consider the gain absolutely worthwhile for me because of the two generational difference. Obviously upgrading from a 1080 you would see less impact and from the 1080 TI apparently, little impact. But for those on older graphics cards (980 or less),  I say it is definitely worth the upgrade - and I switched from SSAA=2 to SSAA=4 and was able to push most P3DV4 settings to high or max.

Interesting thread.

I'm planning a much needed new computer and a jump to P3Dv4.x and have an i7-8700K with a RTX2070 card as possible paired candidates. Planning to run on a single 1440p 27" monitor. Slightly confused regarding which would be better. A 1440p @60Hz or a 1080p @144Hz? Budget-constrained too, so please keep that in mind.

I went with an MSI RTX 2080 with a hybrid cooling system.  The TI's were too hot for me and I like the higher boost clock on the 2080.

Regards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

I think the 60hz would be better....  I mean clarity would be better at 1440p.... but fps would be less.  Although looking at your ivy bridge system.

59 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I think the 60hz would be better....  I mean clarity would be better at 1440p.... but fps would be less.  Although looking at your ivy bridge system.

It'll be a completely new build. Keeping the old one for FSX and the newer one will be purely P3D.

I'm not hung up on fps, to be honest, as long as the experience is smooth with no noticeable stutters / microstutters. Agonising over VAS is getting tiring 🙂

1 hour ago, speedyTC said:

It'll be a completely new build. Keeping the old one for FSX and the newer one will be purely P3D.

I'm not hung up on fps, to be honest, as long as the experience is smooth with no noticeable stutters / microstutters. Agonising over VAS is getting tiring 🙂

Oh well then I'd probably go 1440

• Like 1