Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Navigraph Flightsim Survey results published

4 minutes ago, katice said:

There aren't that much quality GA planes (of course, there was RealAir, there is A2A which is a class in itself), but it's certainly a market niche when it comes to real quality.

In X-Plane though, there are a lot of high quality options that can satisfy the niche of light twin GA flyhing.

I completely disagree. As a GA pilot, it is the lack of very high quality GA planes in XP that keeps me from using it more than I do. Yeah maybe I'm spoiled by A2A, RealAir...and now apparently Vertx, but those are the standards against which other planes will be judged. It is a mistake to assume a GA pilot will settle for less simply because it isn't a transport category aircraft.

Chris

15 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Yeah,  I don't get that either @Bobsk8   In fact,  most VA flyers I'm aware of don't even use VATSIM.  They press buttons to communicate with ATC.

I don't use Vatsim, because I get really tired of flying with no controllers anywhere I want to fly and landing and taking off with Unicomm. That being said, many of the VA's I have flown with and fly with now have a very active Vatsim group. Where did you get your info from or did you just imagine that is the way it is? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't use Vatsim, because I get really tired of flying with no controllers anywhere I want to fly and landing and taking off with Unicomm. That being said, many of the VA's I have flown with and fly with now have a very active Vatsim group. Where did you get your info from or did you just imagine that is the way it is? 

I was just ribbing you Bob.  

16 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I completely disagree. As a GA pilot, it is the lack of very high quality GA planes in XP that keeps me from using it more than I do. Yeah maybe I'm spoiled by A2A, RealAir...and now apparently Vertx, but those are the standards against which other planes will be judged. It is a mistake to assume a GA pilot will settle for less simply because it isn't a transport category aircraft.

There are plenty. The TBM for instance is, for me, the gold-standard in GA flight-simulation, but this is a discussion for another topic. 

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

5 hours ago, ErichB said:

I'm still not convinced that the $200-$300 per year spend on payware addons is a genuine and accurate reflection of the community at large.  Surely not.

I find this one somewhat hard to believe. I know many simmers who can blow that in a month on addons easily. 

I'm moved this topic to the hangar chat so others can chime in. There was a duplicate thread started in the X-Plane forum, so would make sense to keep it one place.

1 hour ago, Milviz said:

I am pretty sure that Ed is right (I cannot beleive I am agreeing with him but there ya go).

XP is popular... more than it was last year. Is it more so than P3D/FSX?  Certainly not when it comes to sales generated by the same product numbers.  In the same amount of time, for the same product, sales on the C310 were less than half on XP than they were on P3D/FSX.  That's a fact.

I'm not sure that I would consider doing a XP only product at this point... 

Make it closer to quality HotStart TBM-900 and then your entrance to XP market will be more noticeable. In any case I bought your 310 to support your  XP effort. And this despite the fact that I lost my investment into 350i which I will never see because I ditched P3D and never coming back 🙂

• Like 4

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

X-Plane is evidently not too popular on AVSIM in comparison to the Prepar3D Forums.  I would suspect most conversations are conducted on the X-Plane site or other forums.  Here's a chart from our system of New Topics created each month.

New_Topics.thumb.png.0333446bb82d13e1ea947a3f83e3aef5.png

99% users who are interested in XP are using on x-plane.org forum simple as that.

• Like 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, simbol said:

I concluded long time ago that investment as developer for XP is not for me, specially when Lockheed Martin is providing 3rd party developers like you and me lots of support, that is very valuable as developer, it ensures my time and investment on the platform is sound and strong.

If anything, now is the time to invest some effort and time into X-Plane because it will become much more competitive over the next few years. Many of the big names are now making products for X-Plane, and for those that don't, somebody else will just come along and do it instead. I get a little tired of hearing developers saying they won't make products for X-Plane because it doesn't support specific features, only for another developer to come along and do it anyway (and some even do it for free).

1 hour ago, katice said:

You know who is a real winner? We, the simmers.

All this boasting from some X-Plane users or some deluded denial from some P3D users is baffling.

In the end, good, healthy competition breeds progress for all.

+1 to this. Pretty much sums up the general attitude of this entire thread.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

99% users who are interested in XP are using on x-plane.org forum simple as that.

I'd say the majority are actually sat on Facebook groups such as XPNG, which is very popular and much more active than the forums.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 9:06 AM, ErichB said:

Yup, they had better pull something rather significant out of the bag very soon.

Rubbish, the revenue made from military contracts far exceeds the revenue from gaming simmers using xp, they got nothing to worry about. 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

19 minutes ago, tooting said:

Rubbish, the revenue made from military contracts far exceeds the revenue from gaming simmers using xp, they got nothing to worry about. 

I’m not saying they have commercial concerns with flightsim users. I’m saying that needs to happen to keep people from leaving p3d - fence straddlers

12 minutes ago, tooting said:

Sure. In a sense, we now feel the hole left by the missed Dovetail approach. While this one has been flawed from the very beginning (in my mind), another approach might have been quite successful indeed and filled that hole.

Not sure about the fate of the game license of the MS engine. Maybe, MS gave up on it? But they certainly wouldn't if they could squeeze another few bucks out of it. So maybe it's still around to be picked up by someone else?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

39 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I’m not saying they have commercial concerns with flightsim users. I’m saying that needs to happen to keep people from leaving p3d - fence straddlers

Which is chicken feed to LM.  

They didnt start P3D for pensioners and teenagers, they started to make mega bucks of the military 

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, Milviz said:

I am pretty sure that Ed is right (I cannot beleive I am agreeing with him but there ya go).

XP is popular... more than it was last year. Is it more so than P3D/FSX?  Certainly not when it comes to sales generated by the same product numbers.  In the same amount of time, for the same product, sales on the C310 were less than half on XP than they were on P3D/FSX.  That's a fact.

I'm not sure that I would consider doing a XP only product at this point... 

Have you tried the Org store?  Many more xp users are over there....  I'm betting many didn't even know MV has entered the XP market.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, ErichB said:

Yeah,  I don't get that either @Bobsk8   In fact,  most VA flyers I'm aware of don't even use VATSIM.  They press buttons to communicate with ATC.

Couldn't agree more here...

André