Sign in to follow this  
pots

FSX and ACES Studio gone for 10 years soon..

Due to my jubilee started here to think about things that happened 10 years ago and then just came to my mind. Would 23. January be the 10. anniversary of end of Microsoft Flight Simulator?  Aces Studio was closed on 23. January, ~100 people were RIFed...

Microsoft put their faith in the XBox and they were correct. Too bad that they didn't Port a flight simulator.

LM took the sim to the new levels...and will be taking it higher as with each version backward compatibility drops.  MS did a great job - Aces team truly helped create Simulation software ecosystem - they had vision, and FSX still amazes me at times....(though hate the VAS issues)...They did create the stage for LM to improve on for which I am grateful.

10 years ago MS, was run really bad....they missed entrance to key industries...and they were all over the map with horrible priorities...but today's current CEO did turn around the company.... 

So many divisions got changed then.....Aces team under pressure did amazing the FSX updates and left an amazing legacy to build on.  Kudos to the team

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Gone but not forgotten! 🍻

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Most certainly was NOT the end of Microsoft Flight Simulator..

A check on the sim sites & forums will show how alive the various MS sims are, & how much they are still being supported by both freeware & payware developers.

It was a simple business decision to close down ACES Studio. The directors of Microsoft, like any other large company, are responsible to their shareholders, and as their sim gaming side was lacking, it got pruned. A simple financial business decision.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I don't have a problem with Microsoft thanks to them they had the wisdom to give it to the flight sim community to carry on the support for the platform, but for them we may not be were we are now.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I'm grateful for what the ACES team did, sad that MS ended their flight sim line, happy that LM has a license to develop the FSX engine and has turned it into a 64-bit version.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

LM needs to get a hold of the FLIGHT engine.  That was a truly evolutionary path forward that Microsoft gutted to make it more of a game (ATC, weather, etc).  An Ace member stated it started out as FS11 and it was impressive what that engine was capable of.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

WE will, in all probability never see a flight simulator game from Microsoft again. Their whole product range & marketing has moved on from sim gaming, & they do not have the infrastructure, interest nor staff to develop sim gaming any more.

Stan, Lockheed Martin NEVER got the licence to the FSX engine.... That went to Dovetail!

FLIGHT was a gaming engine, & the gaming side of simming from Microsoft went to Dovetail.

In 2009 Lockheed Martin announced that they had negotiated with Microsoft to purchase the intellectual property (including source code)Microsoft ESP (Enterprise Simulation Platform) product. Microsoft ESP is the commercial-use version of "Flight Simulator X SP2". On May 17, 2010,[14] Lockheed announced that the new product based upon the ESP source code would be called Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. Lockheed hired members of the original ACES Studio team to continue development of the product.

On July 9, 2014, Dovetail Games announced that Microsoft had granted them rights to develop the next Flight Simulator in the series. Dovetail Games also announced the release of Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition on Steam for late 2014, named Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition was released on 18 December 2014, and is a re-release of the FSX Gold Edition, which includes the Deluxe and Acceleration packs and both Service Packs. It includes "all standard Steam functionality", and replaces the GameSpy multiplayer system with Steam's multiplayer system.[16]

Flight Sim World[edit]

In May 2017, Dovetail Games announced Flight Sim World, which released later that month.[17] Only a year later, on April 23, 2018, Dovetail announced end of development of Flight Sim World and the end of sales effective May 15, 2018.[18]

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Interesting that Dovetail did the proverbial oops we bit off more than we can chew....got all kinds of folks excited and then pulled the rug just after release.  Left a bad taste as many people simply got jacked!   I think that is why FSX still endures because of people like Dovetail.  We simmers are a niche market with just enough purchase power to keep some of it going but always remember that the share holders hold the keys to any vehicle (I.E. X Plane/ Prepare) past history doesn't bode well for them.

Dovetail did pull the plug and users felt robbed, but for what it cost a few quid it pales into comparison when compared to what the hardware manufactures are doing, even Nvidia are now in a round about way admitting the 20 series price is putting punters off and have downgraded there forecast, and it would not surprise me if the AIB partners are limiting production after getting burnt with the mining fallout.    

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

23 hours ago, fsusem36 said:

We simmers are a niche market with just enough purchase power to keep some of it going but always remember that the share holders hold the keys to any vehicle (I.E. X Plane/ Prepare) past history doesn't bode well for them.

I disagree. For one thing, P3D and X-Plane are part of a diversified series of products from their respected developers. Lockheed-Martin makes scads of taxpayer money in other areas, and Laminar makes money from the pro version of XP, private contracts with the aerospace biz, and the XP phone app.

Neither of these two companies needs to operate the same way a game developer would. They could afford to subsidize their respective PC sims if they had to, although I suspect both sims actually do turn a profit.

Also In the case of X-Plane, Laminar isn't publicly traded so there are no shareholders. It's Austin's pet project as sole owner and CEO. I do worry about what might happen if Austin leaves the scene for whatever reason, but he may have structured Laminar in a way that the company could survive him. And Lockheed Martin sure isn't going away any time soon. I suppose the big worry is that at some point, they might decide to develop an entirely new sim platform that wasn't open to the public, and let P3D die off. No sign of that yet, though.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

6 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I do worry about what might happen if Austin leaves the scene for whatever reason

We'll have aircrafts that handle better in crosswind, probably. 😈

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Actually, it's the add-on developers that keep our hobby going! Yes, Laminer, Lockheed, Microsoft gave us the sim engine, BUT it's the developers that has made our hobby what it is.

So what if Austin leaves.. his legacy will still remain, & developers will still develop. 

Look whats happening with FS2004.. After 16 years, there are still great aircraft being developed. Have a look at Nigel Richard's Avro that has just been released. So unique & good that the FSX & P3D'ers want it as well. 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...