JUST4ARTIST

ORBX True Earth GB / FPS insane killer!

Hi, I just have bought the new ORBX True Earth Great Britain for P3D, very nice product but an insane FPS killer.

I have an i7 with the RTX 2080 and 32 GB RAM, and it's impossible to fly over London. I got between 7 to 17 FPS what makes impossible to fly.

Loading time up to 6 minutes, I thought my PC was blocked due to it stops 3 minutes in 6%.

I also own True Earth Netherlands, I have no problem to move it at 45 FPS in Amsterdam airport.

Does anybody have the same problem in FPS or loading times?

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi !  There is an very interesting thread of Rob Ainscough on the ORBX Forum - TE GB Performance issues

which goes congruently with your observations.

Rob claims that he also got no problems with TE Netherlands vs TE Great Britain, and that this serious performance issue is - most likely - a P3D CPU bound problem during rendering.

Maybe this helps you (sorry, don't have both of these sceneries).

All the best,

Konrad

1 hour ago, JUST4ARTIST said:

Hi, I just have bought the new ORBX True Earth Great Britain for P3D, very nice product but an insane FPS killer.
[...]
Does anybody have the same problem in FPS or loading times?

1 hour ago, KBUR said:

Hi !  There is an very interesting thread of Rob Ainscough on the ORBX Forum - TE GB Performance issues

Rob claims that he also got no problems with TE Netherlands vs TE Great Britain, and that this serious performance issue is - most likely - a P3D CPU bound problem during rendering.

We have an 11 page thread on the problems with TE GB South here:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/550009-orbx-trueearth-great-britain-south-released-for-prepar3d-v4/

Mainly caused by building objects in the scenery files located in the FTX_EU_!GBS_05_SCENERY folder. The suspect files have *3DM* in their name and there are 30 of them in that folder.

A patch to help performance is apparently being worked upon and will be released soon. In the meantime, there is a workaround described here:
https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/168114-tegb-south-p3dv44-settings-for-smooth-performance-at-4k/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KBUR said:

All the best,

Konrad

It's always your pc remember that always. 

It couldnt possibly be your trying to put 10 gigs of scenery into an software engine designed 20 years ago.  

And if you think a software developer is going to say 'well it kind of works if you fly the default baron into St Athan, go on let's have your money then' 

Bottom line, it's great for GA flying not much good for tubelining into LL, KK, SS, GW with a High quality addon tube liner. 

I could of told you that before it was released you cant expect to put a massive amount of scenery whether it  be 10 gigs of blades or grass or 10 gigs of extra chimneys at battersea and council flats into a simulator designed in the late 90s and expect miracles no matter how much orbx try and shill it 

Edited by tooting

Not for everyone it seems.....

In and around Bristol, not exactly the lightest area ever...30fps smooth

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Not for everyone it seems.....

Depends on the aircraft. Would like to see PMDG results :)

• Like 1

For London this is what I did :

- backed up all 3M bgl files

- made a copy of the GB Scenery / texture folder 

- copied the Prealsoft London VFR AG into the GB Scenery / texture folder

Now I have a very well covered London and a much better franerate.

Loading time at London City airport : 1 min 12 sec

( With everything TE GB : 2 min 8 sec )

14 minutes ago, zmak said:

Depends on the aircraft. Would like to see PMDG results :)

Not tried yet, Im not really a PMDG flyer...but I should inagine some settings compromises should make it workable

2 hours ago, tooting said:

whether it  be 10 gigs of blades or grass or 10 gigs of extra chimneys at battersea and council flats into a simulator designed in the late 90s

Like X-Plane was?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Plane_(simulator)

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

I'm glad it isn't just my system that got slammed then. I've gone back to horizon genx and treescapes for now, & will wait for the patch from orbx.

4 hours ago, pmb said:

Like X-Plane was?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Plane_(simulator)

Kind regards, 

I don't remember xplane being dumped half way through like fsx/aces was leaving it bug ridden and a pile of gash. 

Trueearth In xp11 works fine, I've got all three.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Not tried yet, Im not really a PMDG flyer...but I should inagine some settings compromises should make it workable

Lovely.  Now a video into egll, eglc, eggw???  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tooting said:

I don't remember xplane being dumped half way through like fsx/aces was leaving it bug ridden and a pile of gash. 

Trueearth In xp11 works fine, I've got all three.  

That's certainly true, I own all three parts as well. But this may be less a fault of Prepar3d than ORBX who first developed the XP version and later on ported it - obvisouly with flaws - to Prepar3d. Take France VFR which has the same detail and runs quite well. Or take ORBX' own TE NL which was natively developed for Prepar3d and is a joy to fly.

I think it's a common misbelieve just making the age of the ESP code responsible for shortcomings. Both code basis are the same age and have been rewritten in large parts several times, Prepar3d between versions 1 and 2 eliminating legacy assembly code and more and versions 3 and 4 while transferring to 64 bit.  

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, GSalden said:

For London this is what I did :

- backed up all 3M bgl files

- made a copy of the GB Scenery / texture folder 

- copied the Prealsoft London VFR AG into the GB Scenery / texture folder

Now I have a very well covered London and a much better franerate.

Loading time at London City airport : 1 min 12 sec

( With everything TE GB : 2 min 8 sec )

Didn't quite follow your logic. What has actually been replaced (if at all) to accommodate the Prealsoft London VFR AG in the Orbx GB scenery/texture files?

7 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Not for everyone it seems....

Totally OT, but had to call out how fantastic the Bronco is for sightseeing 😉 Which livery is that?

1 hour ago, DylanM said:

Totally OT, but had to call out how fantastic the Bronco is for sightseeing 😉 Which livery is that?

Thats why I love it, massive bubble canopy gives beautiful views.  Its my own repaint..G-KEVF

• Like 1

Didn't quite follow your logic. What has actually been replaced (if at all) to accommodate the Prealsoft London VFR AG in the Orbx GB scenery/texture files?

The ORBx 3DM files seem to contain all of the scenery object data that is not POI or autogen related. Therefore, Gerard has presumably removed these files from the FTX_EU_!GBS_05_SCENERY/scenery folder (because these custom scenery objects are stored in BGL files), and added the Prealsoft London VFR autogen buildings to the FTX_EU_!GBS_05_SCENERY/texture folder. In other words, he has replaced the framerate killing scenery objects with far more framerate friendly autogen.

This begs the question......why did ORBx not build the city of London from autogen if Prealsoft could? Is it simply a matter of model and texture quality?

Edited by Christopher Low

14 hours ago, JUST4ARTIST said:

I also own True Earth Netherlands, I have no problem to move it at 45 FPS in Amsterdam airport.

On that endorsement alone, just bought it as it's in that Valentine's Day sale. Hope I don't regret it.😀

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

This begs the question......why did ORBx not build the city of London from autogen if Prealsoft could? Is it simply a matter of model and texture quality?

Using bespoke custom buildings enabled ORBX to match the photo scenery footprint better than using autogen buildings.

Here's Prealsoft with just autogen in the City:
181930_LDN6.jpg

Here's ORBX's attempt:
5c5c968ab8690.jpg

Looks much nicer, but the higher polygon count from the more complicated building shapes is part of the reason as to why London is a resource hog in TE GB.

The autogen buildings in that Prealsoft screenshot are all over the place, with no apparent attempt to match them to the base image. There is no way in hell that I would accept that on my PC.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The autogen buildings in that Prealsoft screenshot are all over the place, with no apparent attempt to match them to the base image. There is no way in hell that I would accept that on my PC.

That is only at several spots.

PSD-7.jpg

In total way better for jetflying with higher fps. Standing on the rw at AS Heathrow Pro and facing London I see 31 fps ( triple view + many clouds )

At the AS forum they did the same with Orbx London and had 7-17 fps ...

What would you prefer ?

I made a batchfile to switch between Total Orbx and Orbx Hybrid ( Prealsoft )

Edited by GSalden

As for now it's in the recycle bin the only place where it's useful 🙄

Hope they will implement it like in TENL which has a far better performance and tuning tools as the current TEGB 😉

Have the XP version also installed and that one is very smooth...

Edited by awf

20 hours ago, tooting said:

Lovely.  Now a video into egll, eglc, eggw???  

Here you go...direct approach into EGLC, you can clearly see EGLL visible in the flight all loaded, takea a little frame hit but not unmanageable

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Like 1

Thanks for video.

I would like to see that scenario with PMDG B737 or FSLabs A320.

BRGDS

Edo

• Like 1