Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JUST4ARTIST

ORBX True Earth GB / FPS insane killer!

Recommended Posts

On 2/20/2019 at 2:15 PM, kevinfirth said:

I could have optimised the settings more, I wanted to use the same one as in the Bronco vid to show a direct comparison.  The overall framerate could keep up at 30, but there were low points and stutters as scenery loaded.  I hope that the 30% performance increase mooted by JV will help eliminate those.  London apart, the scenery is good and should be useable for most.

Sorry but you cannot optimise more, I really have tried. And to me those stutters are totally unflyable. At UK 2000 Gatwick, even Orbx's very own Southampton its unflyable on the top PC money can buy!

I have that PC and it smashes framerates everywhere, 60-100FPS with JVs settings sat at London City, the stuttering not the framerate is the only issue with TEGB. If you lock at about 15FPS then the stuttering reduces to almost invisible but 15FPS sucks.

A limit is being hit but without LMs help sadly we cant even know where. What is sad is if LM and ORBX worked together (fingers crossed they have been) they could solve it easily, I'd prefer a texture or polygon 10 miles away gets skipped or delayed rather than the FPS tank from 60FPS to 5FPS every 10 seconds. Hopefully LM are monitoring these threads and will address in V5. 

I'd love to run some debugging tools/mode in P3D that would tell me what is blocking, my guess is new 3d model processing (texturing), however my CPU and GPU are not maxed, VRAM isn't, RAM isn't. Furthermore reducing texture sizes to the lowest level doesn't make a lot of difference.

Its quite confusing, but it could be that the load stage is all single threaded? In my testing I have noticed that 1 core/CPU always stays maxed when flying around TE GB even when the overall CPU isn't.

Stuttering occurs outside London but its less noticeable as the number of 3D buildings is reduced. The fundamental problem remains that they did not beta test properly and rushed a product out without providing a way to graduate scenery density, its either ALL or NONE. We have had scenery density sliders for 30 years now for this very issue! They knew this would happen but took a commercial decision to release and take the flak on a few threads, as a loyal customer I find that hard to stomach.

Please stop parroting 'its hardware' or 'its old FSX code' or 'turn your settings down', all red herrings. You don't release a new car that is configured only for a race track and complain that public roads haven't caught up yet. Perhaps if you're the only car manufacturer it makes sense.

Lastly all those videos you posted are using JVs reduced settings profile which are a huge step back from what most of us run, no dynamic lighting, no shadows, no AI planes, no traffic, low res textures, smaller mesh quality etc etc. You have to have a specific profile just for flying slowly around the countryside. All developers should as a minimum give us a way to run standard settings that work across other products, hopefully the FTX control panel makes this a reality.

Apologies for the rant! 

Edited by DellyPilot
  • Like 2

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, DellyPilot said:

Apologies for the rant! 

You are right in I think all points. Notably I do agree, we don't need all the new possibilities of P3D4.4 and expensive powerful machines to finally turn all features down.

However, keep in mind that John Venema conceded this product was rushed out and not beta-tested properly, in the mean time:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/168539-the-future/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-1485283

I am positive they will improve performance and provide a patch after proper beta-testing, which obvisouly will take longer than the initially estimated one week. Personally, I would like them to improve some other features like the ugly green roads, if that's possible in the short time.

Kind regards, Michael


MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, DellyPilot said:

Sorry but you cannot optimise more, I really have tried. And to me those stutters are totally unflyable. At UK 2000 Gatwick, even Orbx's very own Southampton its unflyable on the top PC money can buy!

I have that PC and it smashes framerates everywhere, 60-100FPS with JVs settings sat at London City, the stuttering not the framerate is the only issue with TEGB. If you lock at about 15FPS then the stuttering reduces to almost invisible but 15FPS sucks.

A limit is being hit but without LMs help sadly we cant even know where. What is sad is if LM and ORBX worked together (fingers crossed they have been) they could solve it easily, I'd prefer a texture or polygon 10 miles away gets skipped or delayed rather than the FPS tank from 60FPS to 5FPS every 10 seconds. Hopefully LM are monitoring these threads and will address in V5. 

I'd love to run some debugging tools/mode in P3D that would tell me what is blocking, my guess is new 3d model processing (texturing), however my CPU and GPU are not maxed, VRAM isn't, RAM isn't. Furthermore reducing texture sizes to the lowest level doesn't make a lot of difference.

Its quite confusing, but it could be that the load stage is all single threaded? In my testing I have noticed that 1 core/CPU always stays maxed when flying around TE GB even when the overall CPU isn't.

Stuttering occurs outside London but its less noticeable as the number of 3D buildings is reduced. The fundamental problem remains that they did not beta test properly and rushed a product out without providing a way to graduate scenery density, its either ALL or NONE. We have had scenery density sliders for 30 years now for this very issue! They knew this would happen but took a commercial decision to release and take the flak on a few threads, as a loyal customer I find that hard to stomach.

Please stop parroting 'its hardware' or 'its old FSX code' or 'turn your settings down', all red herrings. You don't release a new car that is configured only for a race track and complain that public roads haven't caught up yet. Perhaps if you're the only car manufacturer it makes sense.

Lastly all those videos you posted are using JVs reduced settings profile which are a huge step back from what most of us run, no dynamic lighting, no shadows, no AI planes, no traffic, low res textures, smaller mesh quality etc etc. You have to have a specific profile just for flying slowly around the countryside. All developers should as a minimum give us a way to run standard settings that work across other products, hopefully the FTX control panel makes this a reality.

Apologies for the rant! 

Rant understood. I'm not a rep for Orbx so my views are exactly that, my own :)

My videos arent using JVs settings though, mostly they are way above.  Some have full shadows (obv not the London ones) , most have significantly higher autogen and LOD radius sliders.  I do agree the beta testing appears it could have been more thorough.  There's a lot to like about it for the price, there's also a lot more that could have been achieved IMHO.  


Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

My videos arent using JVs settings though, mostly they are way above.  Some have full shadows (obv not the London ones) , most have significantly higher autogen and LOD radius sliders. 

Cool, next time you do a vid please flick through settings, it will help people (like me) optimise. I too run above JVs settings (AI, textures, mesh) but only away from complex airports/London, buildings/vegetation shadows have a huge hit for me which is a shame, even cloud shadow cast which I love.. does look like ORBX might allow users to mark their buildings with NO SHADOW FLAG in the update which should help. The biggest killer though is dynamic lighting/reflections, its impossible to run anywhere in TEGB even with a 2080TI / 9900K. I dont see this changing anytime soon but not the end of the world.

3 hours ago, pmb said:

Personally, I would like them to improve some other features like the ugly green roads, if that's possible in the short time

No chance of that I would say but you are right, the roads are shocking!


Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

Share this post


Link to post

I bet the roads are not as shocking as some of the horrible colour saturation problems that are apparent in the Horizon photoscenery of England and Wales. That is the biggest problem (for me), and I will be glad to see the back of it when TrueEarth GB Central is released.

  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Share this post


Link to post

EGOD into the Mach Loop.  Testing out a new overlay (top left) so you can see the GPU load, CPU core loads and frame info.

 


Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/28/2019 at 10:14 PM, kevinfirth said:

Hi What is the name of the GPU overlay that you are using?

 

 

Edited by Joburgtaxi

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Joburgtaxi said:

 

RTSS - riva tuner statistics server


Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Share this post


Link to post

This is on sale at the moment but I won't purchase if it's going to turn my simulation in to a slide show. Have performance issues been resolved without having to resort to binning half the 3D objects? I already have Horizon VFR Gen X and Treescapes so the whole point of switching would be for the 3D objects.

 


ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

This is on sale at the moment but I won't purchase if it's going to turn my simulation in to a slide show. Have performance issues been resolved without having to resort to binning half the 3D objects? I already have Horizon VFR Gen X and Treescapes so the whole point of switching would be for the 3D objects.

See my post here:

Modest improvement, though a slider to control the percentage of "3DM" buildings on display would've been the most useful control panel addition.

I find performance over cities that aren't London, is more than acceptable.

Coming from Horizon VFR and Treescapes (like I did), you may find as many cons as you do pros. A sale really is the best time to be picking it up.

Edited by F737NG
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks @F737NG, having read that I think I will hold fire until the product has matured some more (e.g. SP1) and other regions are available (South is not my home area). Also awaiting the P3Dv4.5 hotfix.

  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

D a m n, i should have read this topic earlier, befor i purchased TE GB South.

I'm a real ORBX fan and i own TE Netherland and tought, that TE GB is build the same way (or even better because newer).

But the first load at London Airport took 10 Minutes and it was no joy flying over London with 7 FPS. I am very disapointed and again, if i had read this topic earlier i would not have bought it.

Now i have to play around with the TE GB settings and deactivate several things to make it flyable?!

Or just erase and forgett it. I don't change all my hard-won P3D settings just for one scenery.

Anyone interested in buying TE GB South, almost new, hardly used...

Edited by Raller

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Raller said:

D a m n, i should have read this topic earlier, befor i purchased TE GB South.

I'm a real ORBX fan and i own TE Netherland and tought, that TE GB is build the same way (or even better because newer).

But the first load at London Airport took 10 Minutes and it was no joy flying over London with 7 FPS. I am very disapointed and again, if i had read this topic earlier i would not have bought it.

Now i have to play around with the TE GB settings and deactivate several things to make it flyable?!

Or just erase and forgett it. I don't change all my hard-won P3D settings just for one scenery.

Anyone interested in buying TE GB South, almost new, hardly used...

London was always been a sink hole even before orbx TE was released, no amount of hot fixes and tweaking is ever going to change that. same with LA and Toronto.

 

  • Upvote 1

 
 
 
 
14ppkc-6.png
  913456

Share this post


Link to post

Are these recent complaints all with ver 4.5?

I had pretty good performance until that landed and broke my sim!

If you have only ever tried it in 4.5 then don't write it off until you have tried it once the fix is out.

Share this post


Link to post

No, i am still on 4.4.

Normaly i am a "update-junkie" but with 4.5 i could hold myself back (luckily)

PS: I can not imagine how bad it must be with the 4.5 fps issue 😬

Edited by Raller

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...