Wise87

Is SunSkyJet still working KDTW?

Recommended Posts

Like many of you I'm waiting on Detroit (KDTW) by SunSkyJet. The last preview someone did of the airport was several months ago during a live stream during a Vatsim FNO. Their Facebook page hasn't posted anything new in almost a year and all inquires go unanswered. Last word was it was almost complete a year ago. Now its dead silence. So my question is, is this scenery even still coming out? I know Dave was testing it for them at one time. I sure wish a PayWare developer would make it as we defiantly need Detroit scenery. 

Edited by Wise87
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Agree with everything you said. Would love to have KDTW but i have given up on this one now. Im happy the commercial developers left DTW alone and given a freeware developer the chance, but sad how we have ended up with nothing as a result.

Maybe it will come, maybe not. Im enjoying KMSP as an alternative.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

No one other than the devs themselves know what's going on and if it's still coming. It seemed to be pretty much complete in the last previews and was in beta testing AFAIK. This silence however is discouraging.

Share this post


Link to post

Any updates on this would be much appreciated.  I appreciate the work they did on KPHL even though it is becoming somewhat dated.  It is a remarkable airport for freeware.  My only fear is that KDTW will never be completed and the payware developers won't touch it and we will never have a quality KDTW airport.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Im on the BETA team. Communication with the lead dev (Ian) has ceased. It has been several months since we've heard anything from him. I'd consider it on an extended hold. I have the latest BETA and it is very much unfinished. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for the honesty. Appreciate that. I hope the dev is ok.

Edited by Jetset408

Share this post


Link to post

That’s too bad.  Sounds like it’s time for a payware developer to call dibs!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Im on the BETA team. Communication with the lead dev (Ian) has ceased. It has been several months since we've heard anything from him. I'd consider it on an extended hold. I have the latest BETA and it is very much unfinished. 

That's really a shame. I would have paid for Shez to create it - his first DTW was the first scenery I installed into FS (FS2000, I think). Nonetheless, I think it is time to spread the word that DTW is fair game now, unless, of course, Shez or Ian say that the project is still on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, duckbilled said:

That's really a shame. I would have paid for Shez to create it - his first DTW was the first scenery I installed into FS (FS2000, I think). Nonetheless, I think it is time to spread the word that DTW is fair game now, unless, of course, Shez or Ian say that the project is still on.

 

 

I'm in contact with Shez, its Ian that nobodys heard from in ages. 

Share this post


Link to post

Paging Mr. Flightbeam to the white courtesy phone.  Mr. Flightbeam to the white courtesy phone, please.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

What a shame, especially for Shez.  All that hard work on his part and nothing to show yet.

Share this post


Link to post

KPHL is one of the best addons I have. And I lived and flew out of Philly for 15 years. So I am highly familiar with the airport and the surroundings That compared to what SunSkyJet recreated several yeas ago.

I use photoreal scenery throughout the east coast and SunSkyJets KPHL is totally rendered by my system with no perceptual impact on performance, including frame rates.  And that also with Megascenery Pennsylvania, Delaware, and NewJersey version 3s with Perfect Color loaded and running.

I so painfully wish I could get that same detail and performance from other 3rd party addon scenery around the USA.

Share this post


Link to post

extremely disappointing! was really looking forward for KDTW! Enjoyed their KPHL scenery. Hopefully he is good!

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I'm in contact with Shez, its Ian that nobodys heard from in ages. 

Ah, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Lets remember these guys push out payware quality airports for FREE!   

They can take as much time as they need and don't have to provide us a timeline, support, or any explanation since we pay $0.   

Shez does great work and will complete it someday and that day you'll be happy as kid who got a cupcake for free at a birthday party.  

Share this post


Link to post

I think we all get this, Jason.  The problem is, this scenery and very complex and large sceneries require a huge commitment and many, many hours to complete and perhaps, and don't think I don't appreciate Shez and Ian for what they've done with KPHL, but perhaps they've simply bitten off too much than they can chew. 

Perhaps big airports should be done by payware developers who have the man-power and resources to complete them and then to update them in a timely fashion.  As I said, as good as KPHL is, it requires an update.  Things have changed there and how in the world can Shez and Ian update that airport, let alone, push out KDTW.  IMHO, it's just too much.  One of the people who shared over on the Sunskyjet forum said that he feared he would be dead before he could enjoy the new KDTW scenery and that was about a year or so ago that he made that comment.  I don't think it was hyperbole. 

So, when people like Shez and Ian said, many years ago (7 plus?) that they were going to do KDTW, the big payware developers backed off.  What do we have today?  Nothing.  And with Ian dropping off the grid the project may not be completed.  Heck, even Shez hasn't commented on this in months and who can blame him.  I imagine it is very disheartening for him.

Just some ramblings from my point of view.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jason99vmi said:

Lets remember these guys push out payware quality airports for FREE!   

They can take as much time as they need and don't have to provide us a timeline, support, or any explanation since we pay $0.   

Shez does great work and will complete it someday and that day you'll be happy as kid who got a cupcake for free at a birthday party.  

No one is complaining and yes we know it's free which we all appreciate. What was asked was if the project was still being work, not an ETA. A year ago was the last official posting on FB and even one of the beta testers said he hasn't heard anything from him in months. I would still like to see a payware developer make KDTW for the fact it would get upgrades and support. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well I am here to confirm that I am keen as everyone to get this out. Unfortunately, Ian my codeveloper in SSJ has gone off the radar and not responding. This is not unheard of as he has a business he runs and gets very tied up, and he works in short bursts of activity so yes he will awaken one day (the same with me as you might have seen my output has slowed to nothing). I have proposed to him to give the code over to another developer or maybe even payware but he is determined to finish it. He has the main code for the scenery so I cannot even offer it to another developer to finish and to be fair I cannot anyway without Ian's consent. Alas.

If a payware developer wants to offer to take it over then feel free to contact me or Ian.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Shez... you don't have a backup copy yourself?  Yikes!  😲

Oh well, that means you now have time to work on Bob Hope Hollywood Burbank Airport for P3Dv4... a perfect match for simwestFOTOREAL scenery.  😄

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ShezA said:

Unfortunately, Ian my codeveloper in SSJ has gone off the radar and not responding. This is not unheard of as he has a business he runs and gets very tied up

I appreciate you chiming in here and giving a heads up. I think many of us, including myself, have had the apprehension somewhere in the back of our heads that something may have happened to him, so this is good news.

Predominantly for this reason and also to let people interested in the project know what the status is it would be great though if some kind of quick update could be posted every now and then.

Share this post


Link to post

Burbank is being done orbx so...that’s out. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I appreciate you chiming in here and giving a heads up. I think many of us, including myself, have had the apprehension somewhere in the back of our heads that something may have happened to him, so this is good news.

Predominantly for this reason and also to let people interested in the project know what the status is it would be great though if some kind of quick update could be posted every now and then.

Sure I can but not much happening so not much news. The beta I have is pretty good but has some glaring shortcomings like an orange polygon near 22L and most of the jetways still require SODE work. 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, ShezA said:

Sure I can but not much happening so not much news. The beta I have is pretty good but has some glaring shortcomings like an orange polygon near 22L and most of the jetways still require SODE work. 

I reckon the answer is 'no', but would you ever consider releasing a beta or release candidate version? Call it version 0.9, perhaps. That way you make it clear it's not done, but people get to enjoy whatever the current status of the scenery is? I suggest this because if the only issues are imperfect SODE jetways and some finicky polygons here and there, I'm perfectly fine overlooking those issues until a fix appears... It's better than no airport at all, in my mind!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I appreciate ShezA coming on here and letting us know whats up with Detroit. As much as I enjoy your Philly scenery I really hope a payware developer like FB, FSDT, IS, FT, etc decide to take you up on your offer. I think the payware developers stayed away Detroit seeing it was being developed by SunSkyJet out of professional courtesy. I can under stand you guys being busy but the last update was over a year ago on FB and there have been numerous request from followers/loyal fans asking if this project was even still alive. Again, thanks for the update and wish you and Ian the best. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I reckon the answer is 'no', but would you ever consider releasing a beta or release candidate version? Call it version 0.9, perhaps. That way you make it clear it's not done, but people get to enjoy whatever the current status of the scenery is? I suggest this because if the only issues are imperfect SODE jetways and some finicky polygons here and there, I'm perfectly fine overlooking those issues until a fix appears... It's better than no airport at all, in my mind!

Yes I can. Send me an email.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now