Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

How much of a difference in performance would one expect to a 9900K which boosts up to 5 GHz on all cores only when necessary and remains at 3.6 GHz base frequency without much demand?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, threegreen said:

How much of a difference in performance would one expect to a 9900K which boosts up to 5 GHz on all cores only when necessary and remains at 3.6 GHz base frequency without much demand?

The 9900K achieves 5.0 GHz only on 2 cores, not on all, thats the differents.

Edited by Chandler

Sounds great, but as one of the commenters to that article remarked, a security flaw will be found and the patch will greatly reduce the core speeds.  That does seem to be the path for Intel CPU's go these days.

23 minutes ago, stans said:

Sounds great, but as one of the commenters to that article remarked, a security flaw will be found and the patch will greatly reduce the core speeds.  That does seem to be the path for Intel CPU's go these days.

But that comment was just a stab at Intel with no evidence to back it up.

One thing for sure when the tester`s get there hands on this one they will not stop at 5Ghz.

22 hours ago, Wise87 said:

Like the 8086K was for the 8700k, the new 9900KS will be a selectively binned in order to achieve 5.0 GHz.

Intel Announces 8 Core i9-9900KS: Every Core at 5.0 GHz, All The Time

Very interesting.  I configured by Haswell (i7-4770K, still a champ) to run at 4.5GHz on all 4 cores all the time and it runs P3D like nobody's business.  In fact, I've been running it that way for about 3 years, and I fly and use the computer a LOT!   As a former computer engineer I have to admit I'm not sure which is better longevity wise, ramping up and down of processors or having them run at a constant speed (with adequate cooling), but thus far I've not had any issues whatsoever.

9 hours ago, Chandler said:

The 9900K achieves 5.0 GHz only on 2 cores, not on all, thats the differents.

And would those two cores be the one that P3D mainly runs on?

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

And would those two cores be the one that P3D mainly runs on?

Yes

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I have to admit I'm not sure which is better longevity wise, ramping up and down of processors or having them run at a constant speed (with adequate cooling), but thus far I've not had any issues whatsoever.

99.99% of CPUs are killed by obsolescence.

Cheers!

• Like 2

I still have a 2006 vintage X6800 Conroe CPU running at a 35% overclock. It's my last WinXP box, which I use with a couple of orphaned devices and software packages that are still, on occasion, useful. 

And all of those that followed...an i7-975, i7-2600K, i7-4790K, i7-7700K, and i7-8086K are all still running at fairly aggressive overclocked voltages and speeds. 

The excellent experience I've had with my 8086K (a top-binned 8700K) would lead me to try the KS if I ever decided to go with a 9900K.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

I still have a 2006 vintage X6800 Conroe CPU running at a 35% overclock. It's my last WinXP box, which I use with a couple of orphaned devices and software packages that are still, on occasion, useful. 

And all of those that followed...an i7-975, i7-2600K, i7-4790K, i7-7700K, and i7-8086K are all still running at fairly aggressive overclocked voltages and speeds. 

The excellent experience I've had with my 8086K (a top-binned 8700K) would lead me to try the KS if I ever decided to go with a 9900K.

Icouldn't agree more.  I've been waiting (and waiting, and waiting...) to build a new system with a processor that flipped my switches and came close with the 8086K, but just wanted more than that.  The 9900 has my attention!

AMD could possibly take over the CPU mantle from Intel over the next few years. I'd hold off on any high end system purchase until this change shakes out. AMD just announced its 7 nm CPUs:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/26/amd-unveils-the-12-core-ryzen-9-3900x-at-half-the-price-of-intels-competing-core-i9-9920x-chipset/

Intel may release 7 nm server CPUs in 2021.

3 hours ago, w6kd said:

Yep, the 9900KS is definitely something I'll be looking at.  And an easy drop in for those who already own a Z370 board.  Although I'm too cheap to pay their prices at release... webeesee after a few weeks or months.  Until then my 8086K will "struggle" along! :biggrin:

Greg

One of the tech youtubers I follow "JayzTwoCents" had a new video yesterday talking about Ryzen 2 and things to think about when planning a new build in relation to the computex announcements.  He mentioned the 9900KS and said it's not uncommon for the 9900K to already hit 5Ghz  (obviously your luck in the "silicon lottery" will apply) and then referred to the 9900KS as the "9900 Keep Spending).  Still, it's a good choice obviously for someone who has the money and wants to guarantee they hit the speeds without the hassle of dialing in an OC.

I can run the 9900K @5.2Ghz without getting overly aggressive with the overclocking so I tend to agree with those in JTC's way of thinking.

10 hours ago, Harold_Finch said:

I can run the 9900K @5.2Ghz without getting overly aggressive with the overclocking so I tend to agree with those in JTC's way of thinking.

Agree, its like the 4770k-4790k,  6700K-7700K,  8700k-8086k,  9900K-9900KF its a pattern if you find or lucky with the lottery  the first cpu have the same OC potential.

look at this from Silicon lottery they sell prebinned 9900k and 9900KF big difference? i

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 10:11 PM, Chandler said:

Yes

NO, read intel spec, In P3D 4.7gz for the 9900K if you not enable sync all cores in bios.

Edited by westman

14 hours ago, Harold_Finch said:

Ditto. 5.2 on air all cores, HT off. Single fan on Noctua. Temps 75C. Volts 1.3.

Posted (edited)

Westman, those are Intel's stock speeds.  It is trivial to lightly overclock the 9900k by syncing the cores, setting the BClock ratio to 52 and adjusting the Voltage if needed.  I am still running stock voltage.

You do have to provide ample cooling and a good VRM solution on the motherboard.  

Edited by Harold_Finch

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Harold_Finch said:

Westman, those are Intel's stock speeds.  It is trivial to lightly overclock the 9900k by syncing the cores and setting the BClock ratio to 52 and adjusting the Voltage if needed.  I am still running stock voltage.

You do have to provide ample cooling and a good VRM solution on the motherboard.  

yes at stock it run 4.7ghz not 5ghz on 2 cores when run p3d.

i run my 9900k 5,4ghz ht off 5,0 cashe 4133 c16 1T on Apex X Z370 vcore 1.325v set in bios AIO fractal 360 cooling.

bench timespy at 5.5ghz hton with this cooling, but 5.4 is nice forthe sim 

here is the link https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6979937

Edited by westman

Guessing we'll pay a premium for this one though?

Would like to know the price of one of these?

as I will be upgrading from a i7 4790k 

On 5/30/2019 at 2:03 PM, westman said:

NO, read intel spec, In P3D 4.7gz for the 9900K if you not enable sync all cores in bios.

Okay, got you...no need to write in capital letters though 😉

16 minutes ago, Chandler said:

Okay, got you...no need to write in capital letters though 😉

not my intention, there we go my bad eng once more,  I apologise