Sign in to follow this  
nas123

The BIG question: Multicore usage in MS2020

I know we haven't got any info from the MSFS Team about how they have implemented multicore usage in MSFS2020, but...

Will MS2020 implement code to fully utilize multicore usage?  Which will be the most important, clock speed, cores or threads?

Speculation mode on. 🙂

A clue might be in the early CPU specs for the upcoming Xbox Scarlett: "Custom AMD with Zen 2 and Navi technology, 8 cores." With that capacity in the Xbox and multi-core becoming standard on PC, they'd be crazy not to use it to some extent.

That doesn't necessarily mean it will be fully optimized for multi-threading, because it's common for one core to do most of the work in current games and sims. But it can certainly help reduce the load, and I'd expect it to be optimized as far as they can.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

35 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

FSX, P3D, XP11 has never been single core, so no idea what this post is about?

Skip to 6:00 min, all my cores working hard loading scenery ... never really understood why people say these simulators don't use multi-core?  Only time the multiple cores remain low utilization is if one is sitting stationary and not flying.

I guess what's being said here is that FSX/P3D (can't speak for XP) don't take advantage of multi core CPUs as you'd wish they did. Of course all cores are working, but most of the time I find one of my cores is doing most of the work (close to 100% actually) while the others are relatively low on utilization. Are you using anything like an AM to have them work so evenly?

Edited by threegreen
  • Upvote 3

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

16 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I guess what's being said here is that FSX/P3D (can't speak for XP) don't take advantage of multi core CPUs as you'd wish they did.

Thanks for helping me out here. A good multicore utilization should be more than using extra cores for loading etc, they should be used much more in the rendering code and flight system code. I think the P3D solution to multicore usage is not the best way of doing it.

And to Rob, why do we not all jump to the 12 core AMD CPU if cores are used in the best way? A CPU with 12 cores / 24 threads should be superior to Intel CPU with an 8 core / 16 thread. Why is that not the case?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For me, a bigger question will be will we need Multi-Core and how badly?

• Will the real weather be able to read much more than METAR 2-3 cloud layer reports? 
  • Will the cloud layers be limitless to 60,000+ Feet?
  • How far will the clouds draw before the sim protests? 200-500 NM I hope is more the standard (no popping)
  • How about Autogen draw distance? I hope 200+ NM is more the standard, adjustable down to whatever a system requires.
  • How about AI quantity - Will KTEB or KVNY have hundreds of planes based on the field? Will KATL have a thousand flights daily? I'm talking ability with-out CTD or crippling the sim.
  • Will we be able to fly all day for weeks with out exiting the sim? 

These are just a few quick things that I know (would) cripple ESP and any other sim out there.

No matter how many cores are used, no matter how powerful the system, the sim itself has to be able to handle what developers develop days/years from now!  

4 minutes ago, pracines said:

No matter how many cores are used, no matter how powerful the system, the sim itself has to be able to handle what developers develop days/years from now!  

That is why the MSFS engine (FSX++) should be scalable so it takes advantage of more cores. The way forward in CPU technology is more cores and not faster cores.

33 minutes ago, nas123 said:

That is why the MSFS engine (FSX++) should be scalable so it takes advantage of more cores. The way forward in CPU technology is more cores and not faster cores.

Taking advantage of more cores can help with FPS and a beautiful scene, but if the SIM itself crashes because of too much data, then who cares how many cores it can take advantage of. Reminiscent of that disaster OOM, which was completely unnecessary!

Either way, faster cores are always going to be eventually necessary. We simply cannot remain satisfied with 5.xx GHz.

My point is that the SIM must remain strong and stable under the HUGE pressure of realism.

Dang, dang, dang...I had it on good authority that the programming team for MFS2020 was kept locked in the basement for the last 10 years and not allowed to read any news regarding developments in computer hardware...as a result they were programming the new simulator on a 16-bit OS for a 4:3 1280x1024 CRT monitor driven by a DX9 card running on a single 2.4GHz Pentium IV CPU.  Now that they've discovered Turing video cards and multi-core CPUs by reading about it for the very first time here on AVSIM, they're going to have to go back and completely re-think how to use all this new-fangled hardware.  Ugh, I can feel the release date slipping to 2022 already.  /snark

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the dev team probably knows a wee tiny bit about modern hardware and projected future capabilities...maybe even a wee little bit more than most of us.  I think it might even be reasonable to suspect that some of those guys have a few intel and nVidia engineers on speed dial...

• Like 12
  • Upvote 4

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 hours ago, nas123 said:

I know we haven't got any info from the MSFS Team about how they have implemented multicore usage in MSFS2020, but...

Will MS2020 implement code to fully utilize multicore usage?  Which will be the most important, clock speed, cores or threads?

Actually, it should be "none of the above".

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

So you have one core at 100% and you want all cores at 100% then what are you going to do after that.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

17 minutes ago, rjfry said:

So you have one core at 100% and you want all cores at 100% then what are you going to do after that.

They'll wait for the system to catch up... cuz they seem to think only full 100% use is of value.  When it shuts down audio, drive access, etc... then they'll complain that the software has bugs.

• Like 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

3 minutes ago, WarpD said:

They'll wait for the system to catch up... cuz they seem to think only full 100% use is of value.  When it shuts down audio, drive access, etc... then they'll complain that the software has bugs.

I am thinking more like how many cores would they like it to run on 1. ok 4 cores 2. better 8 cores 3.even better 16 cores 4. super 64 cores top end $5,000 CPU😎

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg