Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ual763

No More Photogrammetry Trees?

Recommended Posts

First, let me start out by saying that I am not a troll, or upset.

Anyways... 

I think the most recent video confirms that MS/ASOBO has indeed found a way to replace the blocky photogrammetry trees with generic 3D tree models, which should mean no more blocky trees as we’ve seen in a few of the previous videos.  This is indeed a step in the right direction.

With that being said, the new generic trees in the recent snow video look way too tall.  This was a known issue in FSX as well.  While I realize this is still very much in Alpha, and may very well already be noted already, but I would still like to humbly request the size of these generic trees are reassessed.

 

Here you can see the new generic trees are nearly as tall as the buildings surrounding the park:

1-CDE1-B91-1-D2-F-4-AE4-954-D-5-D229-F50

Here is the original MSFS2020 Central Park footage in which you can see the photogrammetry trees (notice the height compared to buildings).

B54-C0-E25-186-A-4-DAD-BA2-A-511-B018-A2

Here are the photogrammetry trees from Google Earth (useful in referencing height of actual trees):

F2-E8644-A-8-E53-44-F6-A3-B4-7-CD95-C81-

In the Chicago photo, you can also see these custom trees (and their extraordinary height) in the background:

2-BF1-A515-36-FA-4053-8-BDD-B3-CBB6-C01-

Also, as an aside, in this photo, you can see that there are some photogrammetry areas where they do in fact keep the original photogrammetry trees with an applied snow layer:

D92-EC6-DB-D918-4-B62-8017-B4-E5401-DEF1

Again, I think that generic trees in photogrammetry areas is a great step towards eliminating the blockiness of the photogrammetry ones.  It also makes all sorts of seasonal textures an easy possibility, as seen in the new snow video.  All I am asking is that the sizing of the generic trees be looked into and corrected if necessary.

Best Regards,

Rob

Edited by ual763
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still thinking that photogrammetry trees give a better leafy effect from the air. And also gives some size variation between trees. 
 

The problem with autogen ones is that always have the same size. And not always match the real trees form. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a very valid point.  I do see that there are some slight variations in height in the autogen trees, however, as a whole they are way too tall in the above shots, and as you said, they appear to all be coniferous rather than deciduous.  I guess, I just assumed that Azure could distinguish the differences (as it does with building heights/colors) and populate accordingly.

Edited by ual763
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ual763 said:

Here you can see the new generic trees are nearly as tall as the buildings surrounding the park:

if (trees == tall && !user.Name.Equals("mSparks"))
{
     trees.FindAll(t => t.Height > realistic).ForEach(tr => tr.Height = believable);
}

Just add this code snippet in <install_directory>/Asobo/FS2020(he-he-he)/Modules/Genius/workarounds.fs after line 10.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ual763 said:

I think the most recent video confirms that MS/ASOBO has indeed found a way to replace the blocky photogrammetry trees with generic 3D tree models, which should mean no more blocky trees as we’ve seen in a few of the previous videos.  This is indeed a step in the right direction.

With that being said, the new generic trees in the recent snow video look way too tall.  This was a known issue in FSX as well.  While I realize this is still very much in Alpha, and may very well already be noted already, but I would still like to humbly request the size of these generic trees are reassessed.

Good observations.  It does indeed look like they found a way to replace the blob trees with sim trees. That's a big deal IMO, even bigger than snow effects.  And if they can solve that, it should be relatively easy to size the trees better.  Those ones are Massive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take either but prefer the big trees, and they will figure out the scale at some point! To be honest I'm just happy to see Snow 🙂 Once again Alaska here I come in the X-Cub, the TBM 930, and other aircraft! Almost sure my first flight, ( well after messing around looking for my house and just getting used to the new sim ), will be PASI to PAFE, a quick Alaska flight. And if I see a Penguin ( not even sure they are in Alaska ) I'll freak out 🙂

  • Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/rF3btc2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The realism guys will definitely freak out if you see a penguin in Alaska.

  • Like 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aleex said:

I still thinking that photogrammetry trees give a better leafy effect from the air. And also gives some size variation between trees. 
 

The problem with autogen ones is that always have the same size. And not always match the real trees form. 

Autogen trees can have different sizes in P3D/FSX, for the same kind of tree or bush. You see that when you place them by hand with IS3 for instance.

PG trees may look good from altitude not so much at lower height. If you fly at 8000 feet over mountainous jungle, you see individual autogen trees. With PG trees I suspect you see a mass of blobs.

Since the beginning, I found that trees were the weakest spot of FS20, Asobo should hire a Ph.D. in trees 😄


Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MFS Standard version with Steam

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice find. This looks promising indeed. I’m sure adjusting the scale shouldn’t be much of a problem.

They also seem to have found a way to mix generic and photogrammetry trees as can be seen in the third image (Strasbourg).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the autogen tree are to big actualy yes, but if you look the screen, we can see they have different size.

I think the to hight scale it's not so hard to fix , because the hardest part was replace photogrammetic tree with autogen tree.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I9-9900K / 64G - 3333Mhz / RTX 2080ti AMP! Edition / 2T NMVE 970EVO+ / 512G NMVE 970 PRO / 2T 960 PRO / Oculus Rift CV1 / X56 Hotas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, domkle said:

Autogen trees can have different sizes in P3D/FSX, for the same kind of tree or bush. You see that when you place them by hand with IS3 for instance.

PG trees may look good from altitude not so much at lower height. If you fly at 8000 feet over mountainous jungle, you see individual autogen trees. With PG trees I suspect you see a mass of blobs.

Since the beginning, I found that trees were the weakest spot of FS20, Asobo should hire a Ph.D. in trees 😄

Well, I’m referring more to photogrammetry cities. In mountains and other places autogen it’s a better option (but maybe some more trees variation should be added at some point. I mean, I love what We have seen so far, but as far as I know Central Park doesn’t have that kind of pine tree, same as Statue of Liberty).

I miss some of those mass of blobs on other sims. I mean, there are places where you can’t difference one tree from the other from above.

Anyway, Let’s see how good they made this. They are making brilliant things with most of the weakest parts of the sims, so I expect the same with trees.

Edited by aleex
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we’re on the subject of trees, won’t annuals have dropped their leaves and so show much less snow cover? An algorithm that randomly mixes together annuals and perennials in a believable ratio for the region would be nice (possibly beyond Azure’s ability to distinguish between the two).

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bottle said:

While we’re on the subject of trees, won’t annuals have dropped their leaves and so show much less snow cover? An algorithm that randomly mixes together annuals and perennials in a believable ratio for the region would be nice (possibly beyond Azure’s ability to distinguish between the two).

 

53 minutes ago, aleex said:

 I love what We have seen so far, but as far as I know Central Park doesn’t have that kind of pine tree, same as Statue of Liberty).
Anyway, Let’s see how good they made this. They are making brilliant things with most of the weakest parts of the sims, so I expect the same with trees.

Mixing of annuals and perennials is something important ! Conifers and birch trees for instance, in the Great North. And I was also a bit surprised to see a forest of tall conifers in Central park. Come on Asobo, you can do better !

Trees have always been the poor cousin in FS sceneries. Lack of diversity, poor 3D modeling etc. I hope that Asobo will see to that.

53 minutes ago, aleex said:

 you can’t difference one tree from the other from above.

Define "from above" 😉

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MFS Standard version with Steam

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"wrong trees too high, snow not deep enough, missing snoring bears"
this questions are from a Minecraft Forum! 😂😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of reminds me of xplanes  20 foot water towers and 100 story churches 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    45%
    $11,410.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...