Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Here is an early Beta testing video ... many things have improved/fixed since I did this video:

Rob, that is seriously impressive.  That scenery doesn't look anything like what I'm currently flying over in stock P3Dv4.5.  Is that custom scenery or is it P3Dv5 stock?

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, Blk Ed MB; Intel I7-4790K CPU (@4.5 Ghz); Deepcool 240 AIO Cooler; 16 Gb G.Skill RAM (F3-2400); Win10 Pro (P3D V5 HF1); 2 Samsung 1Tb SSDs;Toshiba 3Tb hard drive; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k;

4 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Here is an early Beta testing video ... many things have improved/fixed since I did this video:

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: this was done on my Dev PC not my NASA PC ... dev PC is 7900X at 4.5Ghz with older Titan X (pascal)

Rob,

You are about to go viral. 😀

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Suffice to say MSFS2020 now has some serious competition! Good thing too as it gives us an important viable alternative while encouraging both software development teams not to rest on their laurels. Future is looking good as our hobby enters this new era of flight simulation excellence.

Mike

I think P3D has many years left in it. It doesn't appear Vatsim/Ivao will be part of MS2020 as they plan their own servers which, if the past is any indication, is not realistic with human ATC and filled with morons doing everything wrong you can imagine. If so, I know a few thousand due hards that fly online will stay with P3D, me included.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

Judging by Watching the video by Rob there won’t be the need for shader mods? Tomatoshade PTA  etc etc ??

mike

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I think P3D has many years left in it. It doesn't appear Vatsim/Ivao will be part of MS2020 as they plan their own servers which, if the past is any indication, is not realistic with human ATC and filled with morons doing everything wrong you can imagine. If so, I know a few thousand due hards that fly online will stay with P3D, me included.

So what exactly is preventing the vatsim clients from creating a custom multiplayer session as shown in the FS trailer and continue to work as they have until now?

How do you know this and state it like it's a fact?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Makinen11 said:

So what exactly is preventing the vatsim clients from creating a custom multiplayer session as shown in the FS trailer and continue to work as they have until now?

How do you know this and state it like it's a fact?

He didn't say he knows this and he didn't state it like fact.  That's why he said "I think".  But I'm also a die hard vatsim airline flying kind of guy.  I'll be curious to how MS figures out how to allow that world to continue without the 10 year old flying their new "game" on their xbox at the same time.  So many questions.  The fact that my P3D ecosystem is relatively mature and will largely remain so with V5 is at the very least interesting and compelling to me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 | 1080Ti 11GB | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

Ok, I have answer about VR Mode -  support not worse than in P3Dv4.5. applause.png

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=136746&p=211928#p211918

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900K, RTX 2080 Ti 11Gb, RAM32Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3200MHz, 3xSSD+2xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TrackIR 5  [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX, FC] VR HP Reverb v2

Posted (edited)

A quick test here at FSDT KORD V2, to show some of the performance gain you can expect with V5, thanks to DX12:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23309.0.html

I tried my best to do an "apples vs apples" comparison, using the same settings, same airplane, same gate, same screen res, etc. TrueSky was enabled, you can disable it if you like the old clouds more, for a bit extra fps ( not much ). 

What is interesting, was my GPU occupation:

P3D V4 was at 60%, with about 5.0GB out of 12GB used

P3D V5 was a 5%, with about 6.0GB used.

So, other than the frame rate, it seems P3D V5 has more HEADROOM to accept more detailed scenery, textures, etc. Provided you have enough VRAM available.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, virtuali said:

A quick test here at FSDT KORD V2, to show some of the performance gain you can expect with V5, thanks to DX12:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23309.0.html

I tried my best to do an "apples vs apple" comparison, using the same settings, same airplane, same gate, same screen res, etc. TrueSky was enabled, you can disable it if you like the old clouds more, for a bit extra fps ( not much ). 

What is interesting, was my GPU occupation:

P3D V4 was at 60%, with about 5.0GB out of 12GB used

P3D V5 was a 5%, with about 6.0GB used.

So, other than the frame rate, it seems P3D V5 has more HEADROOM to accept more detailed scenery, textures, etc. Provided you have enough VRAM available.

This seems impressive! What's going on meanwhile with the CPU? I'm also a little surprised that VRAM usage actually goes up. Is this an expected trade-off with a lower GPU usage? Or is it a result of TrueSky?

Also: WOW that difference in sky. Seeing it side-by-side like this, it's really astounding...

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Trust me, Lockheed has indicated they are committed to the platform. I'd prefer to keep using Vatsim also. I'm sticking with P3D. 

UAL537.png

Clear Skies,

Brandon Mckay

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, B777ER said:

hink P3D has many years left in it. It doesn't appear Vatsim/Ivao will be part of MS2020 as they plan their own servers which, if the past is any indication, is not realistic with human ATC and filled with morons doing everything wrong you can imagine. If so, I know a few thousand due hards that fly online will stay with P3D, me included.

I'm one of them and I will obviously also get MSFS when it is released. 

But realistically,  I foresee a graduated transition to MSFS -  if it fully accommodates the type of flying I like to do.  It is also worth considering that by the time MSFS is eventually released, that P3DV5 will be a fully matured V5 platform -  already benefiting from a number of hot-fixes or incremental improvements, and masses of addons   The impetus to just 'jump ship' may not be as appealing at that stage as it might be today. 

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Thanks very much for the test. Apart from the striking difference in the sky due to TrueSky the performance gains seem stunning. It looked like you had around double the frame rate. Add the apparently increased GPU headroom available and I'm totally sold.

Prepar3D v5 | PMDG 737NGXu | FSLabs A320/A321 | www.united-virtual.com | www.deltava.org | ASUS Maximus XI Code Z390 | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6 MSI Lightning Z | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB | Samsung 43'' 4K curved TV | HP Reverb 2 VR HMD | Agronn 737 Captain's Yoke | VKB Gladiator NXT Stick | FSC 737 Throttle Quadrant | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

4 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Thanks very much for the test. Apart from the striking difference in the sky due to TrueSky the performance gains seem stunning. It looked like you had around double the frame rate. Add the apparently increased GPU headroom available and I'm totally sold.

Although it also seemed like it went up and down a lot. I see it often jump from 60 down to 30 and back up again. I don't know if this is an artifact in the FPS counter or a sign of stutters...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case