Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Installed P3dv5 today. My mind is made up!

Yep.  My mind is made up and P3dv5 is a REAL WINNER in my book!  Wow.  It's so good that I deleted all folders and files for P3d v4.5 not too long after.

First of all, P3d v5 is not so good without ORBX.  All of my ORBX files converted beautifully into v5.  What a difference it makes in the autogen, the scenery, and the realism.  Wouldn't fly without it..

Also, I pointed REX SkyForce to v5.  I was able to choose new clouds, and because I don't have Active Sky yet, I used the SkyForce Weather option.  I was very, very pleased with that.  I flew from KABE (Allentown, Pa) to KIPT (Williamsport, Pa) which is about 70 miles or so, and within 40 miles of KIPT there were beautiful snowflakes and reduced visibility.  The runways at KIPT were so realistic with snow and ice and overall wetness.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with performance.  Most of my sliders are full right and where I was getting 25-30 FPS in version 4, I am getting an unbelievable 50 to 70  (and greater) FPS with no stutters....and only very smooth flying.  I was flying the Commander and the Maule all day, and now I'm looking forward to some heavy iron and business/regional jets.  I especially like the CRJ's.

So far, so good.  I think this is going to be a wonderful marriage.

Stan

• Like 28
  • Upvote 1

You are spot on sir, Lockheed Martin has hit it out of the ball park again!😉

• Like 3

Intel I9 10900KF - ASUS 3080 TUF - ASUS ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming - 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @ 6300

Here we go! Let the positive vibes begin.

• Like 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

10 minutes ago, spilok said:

I flew from KABE (Allentown, Pa) to KIPT (Williamsport, Pa) which is about 70 miles or so, and within 40 miles of KIPT there were beautiful snowflakes and reduced visibility.

I'm up north a bit from you and it was like that all day. In real life. Sky Force is amazing. 

• Like 1

I think that REX will now finally have their redemption moment!

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

56 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

I'm up north a bit from you and it was like that all day. In real life. Sky Force is amazing. 

Just flew to Buffalo (KBUF) and the SAME thing.  It's snowing on April 16th!

Stan

• Like 2

has REX Skyforce been updated to work with P3D v5 yet? I want to wait for official v5 updates/installers just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Not as advance in testing as you but Orbx migration to library then to V5 is done today. Indeed that is a completely different experience. I had some flight near Orbx Skagit which was quite heavy on frame rate when I purchased it. The flight was very smooth and FPS was between 50-70 FPS. 

i tried different predefined weather and was surprised to see little change in performance between clear sky flying and fully overcast. Some more testing to do but my initial reaction was that it seem very robust to handle more complex skies. There is the limitation of only one layer of precipitation for the time being but it was not a major problem. 

Maybe I will give a try to REX tomorrow. Or A2A.... 

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

1 hour ago, spilok said:

Yep.  My mind is made up and P3dv5 is a REAL WINNER in my book!  Wow.  

So glad to hear that. The negativity here has been quite concerning the last couple of days.My new SSD arrives Saturday

and I cant wait to install.

• Like 2

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

Hi Stan,

I've been through similar motions like you, but today I installed most Orbx products and I'm currently using REX Sky Force 3D and its weather engine. I have never seen a sim look so good and run so smooth! And I too have been very skeptical upon first booting up v5. I still haven't even scratched the surface of what settings I prefer as a IFR commercial type simmer.

Until then, this is looking pretty good imho 😉

nJkR5BN.jpg

hObmAb6.jpg

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 6

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

These shots are stunning. I agree P3Dv5 is absolutely stunning. I look forward to seeing what can be done with the new tech. 

Clear Skies,

Brandon McKay

18 minutes ago, Peter Z KCLE_EDDN said:

Hi Stan,

I've been through similar motions like you, but today I installed most Orbx products and I'm currently using REX Sky Force 3D and its weather engine. I have never seen a sim look so good and run so smooth! And I too have been very skeptical upon first booting up v5. I still haven't even scratched the surface of what settings I prefer as a IFR commercial type simmer.

Until then, this is looking pretty good imho 😉

nJkR5BN.jpg

hObmAb6.jpg

Cheers,

Pete

I can't believe Sky Force and its weather component work so well in P3dv5!  Nice surprise.

Stan

• Like 2

I am in the process of swapping over completely to V5 right now. I found my settings sweet spot and it is just way smoother than v4.5 ever was, even with the hiccups and bugs.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor