Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

I just saw benchmark results and those left me disappointed.

• Like 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Forgive me, but the expression on that guy's face is all the reason I need NOT to click on the link. 😄 

Someone else review the video and let us know if it is worth watching.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I'm not actually sure what I just watched to be honest.

Seems to be more of a short form art film where nature scenes are superimposed with screaming cowboys, and dire looking cpu and gpu percentages, and then a desktop pc blows up.  I see it as a neo-dadaist piece, against the oppression of the bourgeois state, but lacking in depth.

Edited by ShawnG
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Forgive me, but the expression on that guy's face is all the reason I need NOT to click on the link. 😄 

Someone else review the video and let us know if it is worth watching.

Hook

I only lost 36 seconds of my life, but I can tell you now, it's not worth watching. (I know you will be watching it anyway, lol).

• Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

4 hours ago, Alvega said:

I only lost 36 seconds of my life, but I can tell you now, it's not worth watching. (I know you will be watching it anyway, lol).

The magic of clickbait, we dont want it, dont like it, but as soon as we know its existence we (most) have to watch it.

Interesting thread. I just got me a new PC (10900K, 2080Ti, 64GB), a reason to buy it now was being ready for MSFS. I ported over my old XP11 installation, and for the past three weeks I have been rather happy with it - I'm running Orthos, X-Europe, HDMesh, ActiveSky and like 500+ addon airports, I can leave objects and textures on full in the ToLiss. Frames are 30+, and everything looks good. I'm not even sure if I'll go get MSFS20 on the first day.

Been watching quite a bit of Beta footage (on my 2nd Monitor of course). Okay, VFR looks nothing but sweet. But, from genereting a lot of orthos I know Bing is pretty weak in places, there are holes in the HiRes coverage, whole areas covered with clouds etc. I'm excited (and a bit anxious) to see how Asobo has dealt with those.

Plus, the current default airports look ridiculous. Seems like trucks, buses and cars drive around aimlessly, even on runways (?), rendition/placement of buildings is poor, too. Higher altitiude footage, say from a tubeliner or a Kingair: the world does not look all that nice suddenly compared to the amazing eye candy of low VFR.

I'm not too worried about frame rates, though.

I don't even know why I'm writing this. Maybe I just want to say I'm just going to stay with both sims as I expect MSFS to have weaknesses, too. I put too much of my time and effort (some money, too) into my XP-11-world to just drop it - I'm happy there's something else coming my way and of course I'm going to buy it, and see, and fly.

Edited by steffets

36 minutes ago, steffets said:

Interesting thread. I just got me a new PC (10900K, 2080Ti, 64GB), a reason to buy it now was being ready for MSFS. I ported over my old XP11 installation, and for the past three weeks I have been rather happy with it - I'm running Orthos, X-Europe, HDMesh, ActiveSky and like 500+ addon airports, I can leave objects and textures on full in the ToLiss. Frames are 30+, and everything looks good. I'm not even sure if I'll go get MSFS20 on the first day.

Been watching quite a bit of Beta footage (on my 2nd Monitor of course). Okay, VFR looks nothing but sweet. But, from genereting a lot of orthos I know Bing is pretty weak in places, there are holes in the HiRes coverage, whole areas covered with clouds etc. I'm excited (and a bit anxious) to see how Asobo has dealt with those.

Plus, the current default airports look ridiculous. Seems like trucks, buses and cars drive around aimlessly, even on runways (?), rendition/placement of buildings is poor, too. Higher altitiude footage, say from a tubeliner or a Kingair: the world does not look all that nice suddenly compared to the amazing eye candy of low VFR.

I'm not too worried about frame rates, though.

I don't even know why I'm writing this. Maybe I just want to say I'm just going to stay with both sims as I expect MSFS to have weaknesses, too. I put too much of my time and effort (some money, too) into my XP-11-world to just drop it - I'm happy there's something else coming my way and of course I'm going to buy it, and see, and fly.

If only XP11 had some decent weather and clouds...... Thats what lets it down massively. This is where MSFS is shining. I have a similar system as yours, and yup, FPS are not a worry, what is, is stuttering. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Upvote 2

On 7/30/2020 at 9:45 AM, devgrp said:

Have you actually played the game to know what performance you will be able to get? An i7 and a 1070 should be no problem at med settings. I play on 4k at high settings and performance is good. Also remember the game is still being optimized 

Why do you need to play at 4K??

30 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

If only XP11 had some decent weather and clouds...... Thats what lets it down massively. This is where MSFS is shining. I have a similar system as yours, and yup, FPS are not a worry, what is, is stuttering. 

Yup. And they seem to have at least FSX level AI ATC. The complete absence of meaningful ATC in X-plane bothers me even more than the chunky, frame rate eating clouds. At least King Austin is willing to allow for improvements in that (weather) field. The XP11 ATC is probably going to stay crappy forever😕

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, steffets said:

The XP11 ATC is probably going to stay crappy forever😕

Pilot2ATC works very nicely with XP11 and it's a whole lot better than what's been reported for MSFS, which still relies on text messages and not Text to Speech and Speech Recognition (TTS/SR). As a feature, speech probably falls into the same category as VR and DX12. I suspect that it shouldn't take Asobo too long to incorporate a more modern speech-based interface into the default ATC, but they were probably concerned about getting the sim out the door and not degrading performance with too many additional features. Microsoft's most advanced speech packages are server-based, as opposed to what's built in to Windows 10.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oldschool61 said:

Why do you need to play at 4K??

Because that's the monitor I have 

the ATC says the waypoint instead of spelling them now. In case you were wondering. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:08 AM, andyjohnston.net said:

do they look choppy to you?

They do to me, but then I had a career in television in my past life. I can definitely see the difference between 24 and 30 (er... 29.97) fps.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:12 AM, ThomseN_inc said:

Yes, they do! Just compare a video on Youtube running at 30FPS and then the same running at 60FPS

That's not necessarily a fair comparison without knowing the technical details of the vids in question. Depending on how you change a 60fps video to a 30fps one (or vice versa) you can introduce jerkiness and other oddities. This used to be a very annoying problem trying to get programming from Europe/etc transferred to American standards -- going between PAL and NTSC can introduce all sorts of irritating visual problems. My wife had me watching some Australian show about a female detective in the '20's. I actually enjoyed the show, but the format conversion was done horribly and any time something moved on the screen, it looked absolutely terrible.

All that said, when it comes to gaming, as long as it pretty consistently hits 30fps or higher, I'm happy. While it is possible to see the difference between 30 and 60fps, it's not nearly as much of a problem as the difference between 15 and 30fps like many of us are dealing with now when we fly over somewhere intensive like NYC or O'Hare. I did slide-show flight sims back in the old Apple II days, and I don't like it when I'm yanked back to that kind of framerate. 😉

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Pilot2ATC works very nicely with XP11 ...

I know. But I don't necessarily need a headset, proper phraseology and painstakingly filing flightplans - if I wanted that, I'd be on VATSIM  all the time. I'd just like to go to an airport, turn in the right frequency and listen to all the AI chattering and hear/see AI aircraft flying to proper destinations instantly - not silence and emptiness (for the latter at least there's Traffic Global). But that's all off topic, sorry..

• Upvote 1