Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

MSFS Live Stream Tomorrow!

I love these guys. They are so genuine. And also very tired. Cant remember his name, but it's the french guy with grey heir on the right. I was just thinking he needs take a nap 😄

It was awesome seeming them and hearing them taking the questions and explaining whats going on and their side. I do believe they really read most things that goes on both here and on youtube etc. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

1 minute ago, Kopteeni said:

I wonder if they knew in the beginning they would have to have a big dedicated team for autopilot 😃

yeah ,  complex engineering to get it sorted . I'm an engineer so I can relate

Semper Fi 

1 minute ago, andrecarli737 said:

Feels bad about missions, seems like there'll be only the ones that are already in the preview build. 😐

They clearly do not want to repeat the "MS FlIght" experience..

• Like 1

Bert

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

They clearly do not want to repeat the "MS FlIght" experience..

It definetly looks like that. But I think some people wanted a "FSX" experience. Never gonna forget the beautiful Stika Landing

• Like 1

imyj2f-5.png

2 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Sympathic guys... autopilot team is fixing 50+ bugs per day. 😄

They might even catch 250+ til showtime!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andrecarli737 said:

It definetly looks like that. But I think some people wanted a "FSX" experience. Never gonna forget the beautiful Stika Landing

They did not rule that out... they are just not do going to present "Wedding cake missions" etc

• Upvote 1

Bert

31 minutes ago, joec63 said:

1st update - FX system

I thought that was really interesting. They're redesigning the whole FX system. So heat blur must be about all we'll have until the first update. Tire smoke, water spray, (maybe engie fires?!), etc. is to come later because the whole system is being redone. Since we saw tire smoke early on, the FX system must have been considered inadequate and they went back to the drawing board. That seems on-brand for Asobo who have always said they want to do things right.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

And also very tired

Absolutely Sebastian Wolch looked absolutely exhausted, as one would expect for the CEO. I hope they have a good holiday next week and spend quality time with their families.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Door opening: Decided not to start with it. Something they can bring in the future, but not a high priority item.

Now that's just strange. All animated doors need is just like every other animation: a pivot point that is aligned properly, and a few lines of code to drive it.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

48 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

TREES hahahah @MatthewS

Sounds like tree height differences can be different based on real location even if the species are the same, so they are going to take feedback for specific areas based on real world photographs that show the trees are too big etc. 

This is the biggest pressure point in the beta. You don't need more "feedback" to know that 300 foot trees towering over runways are wrong. There's an issue with the general height almost everywhere on the planet. It's not just a regional, every now and then thing. It's almost everywhere except certain arid climates.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I love these guys. They are so genuine. And also very tired. Cant remember his name, but it's the french guy with grey heir on the right. I was just thinking he needs take a nap 😄

Yeah, he was missing half the questions. 😄

Funny when he asked about the cloud question and the girl went like "yeah, thanks". 😄

They must have their behinds full of work right now.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 minutes ago, bonchie said:

This is the biggest pressure point in the beta. You don't need more "feedback" to know that 300 foot trees towering over runways are wrong. There's an issue with the general height almost everywhere on the planet. It's not just a regional, every now and then thing. It's almost everywhere except certain arid climates.

They mentioned that they make the vegetation based on biological data, but the problem probably stems from the problem that that data only tells you the range (min and max) but not the average height in a region or area. I was a bit surprised that they seem to be working on this on a case by case basis. Sounds like a very resource demanding method.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

Yeah, he was missing half the questions. 😄

Funny when he asked about the cloud question and the girl went like "yeah, thanks". 😄

They must have their behinds full of work right now.

Crunch time is always rough at game studios, they end up working very long hours. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Jeez, that was mostly awesome IMHO. What did you like best? Here's some of my favs:

• No career mode (yeah, I really like that haha).
  • G1000 seems to have gotten more features with all the updates, they say it's "fairly" complete, so I'm excited to see the results.
  • I found it very interesting that they in fact can and actually do tweak the world manually here and there, if good enough information is available. I remember a couple months ago it was rumored they would not want to do that but instead train the AI better to do it, which seems quite contradictionary. I think that manual tweaking, or at least having the possibility, is just the right way to go, as you probably can't train the AI in a way to fix all these issues all on its own.
  • They shed some light on the never ending tree discussion and I clearly heard that (surprise) the system won't just "scale" the trees on some factor, even less of an .ini file... They started with 80 (that's 'eighty') tree types and are now at a few hundred (!). Just to give an idea of the complexity involved here. They also say the aerial won't necessarily be a good source for tree height, but if photos are sent in, they can "fix it easily" for given spots on earth.
  • Snow makes runways slippery. Makes me think that rain makes runways slippery too and will hopefully affect aircraft performance.
  • New FX system not in the RTM but in the first update. Sounds great and I hope it's a step up from what we know, whatever that'll be.
  • Shared cockpit at some point, sounds super duper awesome. Hope it will be such an open architecture that works with more complex aircraft too with custom code.
  • World updates: maybe per region, depending on the updated data, with new POIs, new and more handcrafted airports (!). Sounds great to me!
  • Never ever charge for sim updates. Maybe for huge updates like helicopters, while still the actual helicopter functionality would be in the base sim for everyone.
  • Complete tool set in the SDK, available for everyone.
  • ALL 37K airports are hand crafted in the sense of ground features. Generic buildings placed procedurally by blackshark. As from all we know this seems to work pretty well...
  • Autopilot systems probably not bug free, but with the biggest team working on it >50 bugs get fixed PER DAY. Even better: They realized that autopilot systems vary a great deal among aircraft types, so apparently this will be reflected somehow and the autopilot will be unique for each aircraft. Amazing.
  • More cloud types and improvements to the weather system could come for the custom weather.
  • Actually one of the best news IMHO: Dev Q&A once a month! Bravo!!! It's amazing to get these insights from the team, something I think we never ever got before.

Not that I didn't have other questions (what about fog and visibility/RVR settings, what about 8.33 kHz implementation and bugs, runway and airport lighting issues and customziations...), but maybe I can get some covered in a future episode now that they are coming regularly. Super pumped, thanks to each and everyone the team, you guys are amazing!

Edited by badderjet
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

They mentioned that they make the vegetation based on biological data, but the problem probably stems from the problem that that data only tells you the range (min and max) but not the average height in a region or area. I was a bit surprised that they seem to be working on this on a case by case basis. Sounds like a very resource demanding method.

The simple answer is that they simply shouldn't have 300 foot tall trees in the asset library.

Their solution of trying to hand fix everything isn't workable. They just need to set a hard limit on tree height at this point, and if they can't do that, they need to limit the heights via the assets themselves. If that robs of us a few massive sequoias, that's a price worth paying for 99.9% of the rest of the trees to be right. We can't possibly send them the millions of pictures required to fix everything on a case by case basis, nor would they have the resources to do that.

This has been a frustration in the beta. We keep telling them that this is a world-wide issue that needs to be handled at the macro level (i.e. a global tree height limit) and they keep saying "send us pictures of individual areas."

Edited by bonchie