Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

August 20th, 2020 - Development Update

50 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

Just flown from Bristol down to Exeter post storm, 30+ FPS on my rig, mixture of high and ultra settings with absolutely no stutters.

Sure there are issues, the main ones for me being glitchy ATC using Azure - seems to be fixed now. 

And Glitchy real world traffic behaviour

@1440p

GPU 99% @1911Mhz, cram 6249

CPU 22%

RAM 14920

FPS 35

Yes the Azure ATC has been fixed now, noticed that too yesterday 

Edited by omarsmak30
typo
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

6 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Yes the Azure ATC has been fixed now, noticed that socks yesterday 

The weather is working for me now too. / seems things are being fixed behind the scenes. 

12 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The weather is working for me now too. / seems things are being fixed behind the scenes. 

Details? What was off before that's fixed now?

Also, if things are being fixed without patches, that's yet another thing put into the major Pro column.

• Like 1

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

33 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

Also, if things are being fixed without patches, that's yet another thing put into the major Pro column.

The weather always had a wind of 3KTS no matter where you were, at least for me now its working correctly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SKEWR said:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I don't know if I really want to see "ported" planes. Maybe if they are cheaper sure, but I do not believe we'll be seeing discounts for planes fixed just enough to work in MSFS' legacy mode. There have already been examples of this in P3D. I'm very much against buying the same plane over and over. Maybe my understanding of legacy mode is different than Asobo's, but I'm hoping that the quick ports (sold at the same price or more) aren't possible. Just my opinion.

I think the reference to porting C++ code with WebAssembly pertains more to the kind of complex systems logic that you see from companies like PMDG. It makes sense to be able to port this code, rather than having to rewrite what likely amounts to hundreds of thousands of lines of code. The complexity in an FMC alone is staggering - no add on developer is going to want to throw away a code base that has years of development invested in it. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

I don't think this is a client issue which could be fixed with patches, seems more a back end thing to me. 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Dear Flight Simmer-

These are early days, and with the release of a revolutionary (not evolutionary) sim platform, on a world wide user base, teething pains are to be expected.  What I'm excited about it the simulator skeleton they have built.  That framework, if bolstered by a robust SDK will transform Flight Simulation as we know it.  The potential energy exists!

Sure, there are installation problems.  Sure, there are definite performance problems (which are much when worse on Vatsim). Yes, I too despise the large black pop-up boxes.  Yes, the Cessna should have an interaction between Mixture ratio, fuel flow and EGT.  Yes, I too would love to see Street Maps in window. I will stipulate to a thousand small issues- all of which are solvable.  That does not bother me.  The simulator is named Microsoft Flight Simulator and they were far thinking enough to not put a 2020 label on it (for some reason we have).  The next few weeks and months will move the sim towards maturity.

LM has done a superb job, but even now there are some issues in their Sim I would like to see improved.  This sim is now in version 5 (soon to be 5.1 I hope 🙂).  MSFS is at RTM release 1.  I know patience is not in abundance, but it is indeed a virtue.  What excites me is that MSFS will improve.  That the potential exists.  That the secondary benefit is that it will pressure LM and LR to improve their simulators out of necessity.  I am obliged to LM and will continue to support them and use them- why shouldn't I?  They have taken the old ESP framework to new heights and done so brilliantly.  Their current 3rd party fleet offerings are brilliant.  They deserve support.

I have never understood the all or nothing mentality.  Why feverishly support the new Sim, and then rabidly abandon it days after release?  Isn't there potential that is apparent?  Isn't there a fairly large machine behind BOTH sims, with dedicated teams working hard?  The only sim that I haven't quite understood or appreciated is XPL (and even that I keep trying in the hopes that their vocal supporters may be on to something). DCS has a separate nVme on my system- it is brilliant as well (and also has had growing pains).

I say all this to say- these are early days.  There have been moments in the new Sim where I've yelled out to the Trolly Dolly to come see!  She does so with the same bemused (and bewildered) look she often employs with our 3 year old Niece.  There have been moments of wonder.  Surely, that should allow the flame of hope to burn bright?

Threads such as these are useful and I'm glad to see it here on AvSim.  The vitriol and sheer volume of self proclaimed pundits denouncing MSFS is disgusting.  Give the lads from Asobo a chance- they (and we) deserve it.

Per Ardua ad Astra apud Asobo!

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 9

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

In the "Welcome Bing" video at 6:50, thats really interesting! First, even as a long term Win10 Pro user, I had no idea such an app even existed on the computer. Next, how cool to hear that its the exact image database that MSFS uses. So it can serve as a quick way to check if a region has been updated. Or even scope out an area before jumping in the sim.

One thing I cannot help noticing is that for some areas (like the Philippines) Google has better imagery and also its newer. I hope that Bing catches up soon in this and other areas.

I dont have MSFS but it looks very impressive and I enjoy seeing the screenshots, discussions and videos. 

Edited by ThrottleUp

29 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

In the "Welcome Bing" video at 6:50, thats really interesting! First, even as a long term Win10 Pro user, I had no idea such an app even existed on the computer. Next, how cool to hear that its the exact image database that MSFS uses. So it can serve as a quick way to check if a region has been updated. Or even scope out an area before jumping in the sim.

One thing I cannot help noticing is that for quite a some areas (like the Philippines) Google has better imagery and also its newer. I hope that Bing catches up soon in this and other areas.

I dont have MSFS but it looks very impressive and I enjoy seeing the screenshots, discussions and videos. 

Funny you mentioned that about the Philippines.  Flew from Naga city over to Legazpi last night to check out Mount Mayon in the sim.  Holy word not allowed the detail!   All the way down to the old lava flows that you see in real life.  Even Lignon Hill was there.  These are the moments in the sim that just take my breath away.  Certainly has changed the way I fly in the sim and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. 

• Like 5

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

10 hours ago, flycln said:

They are now working hard to fix bugs that were reported “recently”? 

What about all the bugs testers reported months ago?

Oh man...

That's very cynical thinking, and deliberately so, why? Why choose the negative while we got so much positive to begin with...and this is only the beginning. You talk to your kid like that, pointing out all it's failures and shut up about the good things it did?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

8 minutes ago, Wildblue said:

That's very cynical thinking, and deliberately so, why? Why choose the negative while we got so much positive to begin with...and this is only the beginning. You talk to your kid like that, pointing out all it's failures and shut up about the good things it did?

Luckily the companies I pay for providing a service or a product aren’t actually my kids. 

Apples. Oranges. 

And I just find it a little disheartening that most of the bugs have been around since 2019. Despite endless bug reports. 

Edited by flycln

30 minutes ago, Wildblue said:

So about the 'positive things to begin with' - please tell me about it as I'm unable to use the software I have paid for and therefore cannot see the wonders the developers might have created.

And yes it's them to blame not us users. I have 20 games and many more programs on my machine. All of them work flawlessly or at least don't crash after a few minutes - so every peace of critic is justified reagrding their poor Alpha/Beta test

22 minutes ago, flycln said:

Luckily the companies I pay for providing a service or a product aren’t actually my kids. 

Apples. Oranges. 

And I just find it a little disheartening that most of the bugs have been around since 2019. Despite endless bug reports. 

100% agree

Edited by chatman

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

I can understand unforeseen bugs - which would be acceptable whenever new software is released - but the Asobo team had to aware of a whole host of bugs from the Alpha/Beta testers?  However, in defense of the Team, they did not set what is now an apparently premature release date.  The Microsoft Corp. did that! They have their reasons:  Which for all corporations is economics; the bottom line.  Get the product out there now!  Our customers out there are clamoring for this software product!  So lets give it to them!  We'll fix any and all the problems in due time.

I believe all the download problems are nothing new to MS software products:  Just consider those poor souls out there who were trying to re-install FSX Gold from discs.  First they have to call a MS 800 number to get some kind of new key code or something for a software product that is now 14 years old!  

And now, MSFSXX customers have to wait up to 20 hours or more to D/L this product.  If you are lucky, it succeeds on the first try...  Those who were mandated to purchase the disc set must leave it spinning in the DVD player to use the new flight sim!    

My solution:  I believe everyone should have received an encrypted CD set to install this monster 90-plus gigabyte app:  A one-time on-line key code could have been provided for each person based on a purchase order. Re-installs could have had a maximum number per CD set.  Plus, the set should be stored away for any re-installs in the future - and not forever spinning while you fly... 

I don't understand. That coral-reef effect in the tropical water in the Around the World video (flying over Moorea)... I don't have that. My water is not showing this - 'just' a slightly different tint of light-blue/green around the island; but not coral-reef effects anywhere... Is there some setting I'm missing somewhere? 🙂

🙂