Sign in to follow this  
Victoroos

VRAM, new graphics cards and MSFS

9 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I bought the digital version of MSFS 2020, so don’t know what it says on the packaging. All of the previous versions were both developed and published by Microsoft, so this is a little bit of a change, but not unusual in the software gaming market. 

I didn't want to continue this debate as it'soff-topic but would you have bought it had the name on the box been Asobo? A change of developer is a massive change. Who had heard of them until 15 months ago? Done for pure marketing purposes but very misleading because I suspect Microsoft programmers were nowhere near it. And it shows.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I bought the digital version of MSFS 2020, so don’t know what it says on the packaging. All of the previous versions were both developed and published by Microsoft, so this is a little bit of a change, but not unusual in the software gaming market. 

It isn't a package: Ray said 'box' (in inverted commas).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I didn't want to continue this debate as it'soff-topic but would you have bought it had the name on the box been Asobo? A change of developer is a massive change. Who had heard of them until 15 months ago? Done for pure marketing purposes but very misleading because I suspect Microsoft programmers were nowhere near it. And it shows.

Sorry, but I have to jump in...

What you mean by "it shows"? Have you purchased the product or is there some sort of regional rivalry going on here? What is the point of mentioning the developers are French?? 

You may not have heard of ASOBO, but I and many others did. They are an established studio currently with two titles on the Steam top-10 list.

With that  being said, MSFS is a great product at launch with the best set of default GA aircraft ever released on a base simulator, amazing graphics, groundbreaking scenery and weather technologies and performing much, much better than FSX back in the day.

In other words, it is precisely what I have hoped for: an astonishingly well designed base sim that will for be a great platform for users and third-party developers (already is scenery-wise and will be IFR-wise once the SDK is improved).

As I said before: may the simming dieties forever bless whichever MS manager selected ASOBO for this project!

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I haven't purchased it but as a mod I have had to approve a lot of posts from new members who have problems with basic things. And these have been mentioned by many more established members.

1) The A/P on several aircraft don't work. 2) Joysticks and other related hardware wasn't being correctly recognised. 3) Weather not live but delayed.

Had the beta period been longer I'm sure many of these could have been sorted out.

Just some of the more common complaints raised. I didn't mention the nationality of the company. I don't subscribe to Steam so have never heard of Asobo. It just seems odd that Asobo have developed it but Microsoft's name is on the 'box'. Done for marketing purposes I'm sure.

That's all I'm saying as I don't wish to deflect further from the topic.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Sorry, but I have to jump in...

What you mean by "it shows"? Have you purchased the product or is there some sort of regional rivalry going on here? What is the point of mentioning the developers are French??

Where did anyone mention that the developers are French??  All I see is the point that the developers are external to Microsoft, not that they are French, or European, etc.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

21 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Where did anyone mention that the developers are French??  All I see is the point that the developers are external to Microsoft, not that they are French, or European, etc.

See the quote below:

24 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But of course it isn’t. It’s created by a French company with no previous experience in flight simulation. That might go some way in explaining its pretty dreadful state on release.

MSFS is absolutely not "dreadful" and even if it was, it has nothing to do with the company being french.

It is arguably in a much better state than P3D v5 wich just crashed on me (DGXI device hung). Never had a single crash in almost 100 hours of usage in MSFS...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 4

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That's all I'm saying as I don't wish to deflect further from the topic.

Thank you!  😄

• Like 2

Bert

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you would like to get to know the background and inform yourself.. watch some of the excellent developer videos that Microsoft and Asobo have released over the last year.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Kind of disturbing to see mods ranting about a product they don‘t even own. Mods are supposed to act like role models on a forum. 

• Like 4

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Back to the topic.  I'll be getting the 3090.  If the 3080ti was definitely coming and we had a locked in VRAM figure that would probably be my pick.  But I haven't seen anything that seems to lock that in.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

interesting enough.  Gamers nexus will be including MSFS in benchmarking of the new cards.  this should be a big help for all of us. 

gamersnexus_will_be_benchmarking_msfs_20https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/isme4w/gamersnexus_will_be_benchmarking_msfs_2020_for/

Edited by micstatic
  • Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Yes I saw that. That will help in the decision of which way to go on my rebuild. 

• Like 1

Asus ROG  Strix x 470-f, Ryzen 2700X,Flare X (4x8)3200 CL14 ,EVGA  GTX 1070 Ti, 970 EVO 500GB  NVMe, 860 EVO 1TB, 860 EVO 2TB,Seasonic TX-850, Hauppauge 1 HVR-1265, LG  27UK650-W 4K Monitor

26 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Back to the topic.  I'll be getting the 3090.  If the 3080ti was definitely coming and we had a locked in VRAM figure that would probably be my pick.  But I haven't seen anything that seems to lock that in.  

There is a gap of 14gb of VRAM between the 3080 and the 3090. All previous generations have had Ti versions. I am pretty sure it will come or at least be announced until the mid of 2021.

Considering the huge loss of value, I may end up keeping my 2080Ti until that happens...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

There is a gap of 14gb of VRAM between the 3080 and the 3090. All previous generations have had Ti versions. I am pretty sure it will come or at least be announced until the mid of 2021.

Considering the huge loss of value, I may end up keeping my 2080Ti until that happens...

yeah that makes sense.  Assuming the benchmarks show some value in MSFS at 4k I'll probably go 3090 as I don't see myself waiting another year.  Not to mention I can immediately use the extra VRAM in V5.  MSFS says I'm GPU limited.  So I would expect some improvement.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorry if my comment came off as a debate. Wasn’t intended to be taken that way.

Meant it more as information, as some people don’t realize that a software publisher may not be the developer and vice versa. 

• Like 2