Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Shorter Posts

Posts can be as long as they want but who is going to read them?  

So before you submit a long post ask yourself who is going to read (all of) this?

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

3 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

I understand why some posts are long (> 10 lines / paragraphs) because the poster want to be clear. 

No.

Edited by n4gix
NO reason to quote the entire darn post for a two-letter reply!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stubbornswiss said:

If a post is too long for you, just ignore it and move on to the next.

Exactly, meaning I'm not reading your well constructed post.

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

One of the things I appreciate about this forum is that -- for the most part -- we have a high rate of literacy and many people who are capable of both creating thoughtful content and sharing it in a way that is fluid, comprehensive, and highly consumable.  Sure, there are also some folks here who seem borderline illiterate or incapable of stringing two thoughts together, but you get that everywhere.

The written word is a wonder, one of the crowning achievements of human culture, and just because we live in a world where peoples' attention spans are being destroyed by everyone needing to chunk their thoughts up into 140 characters to fit in a tweet doesn't mean there shouldn't be places where those who have complex thoughts to communicate are able to do so in a way that is worthy of the history of the written word.

I'd suggest that if you think a post that is only a few hundred words long is "too long" you should do one of two things:  find a community that is more inline with your tastes in media consumption, or do what most folks do when we see something on a forum that we don't consider worthy of our time:  skip it and move on.

There's a third option, too:  work to culture a longer attention span.  Some things in life cannot be TLDR'd.

(This text up to the end of that sentence has only 238 words.  Is that really so bad?)

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

^

'

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

It isn’t about quantity. It is about quality. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I appreciate all the response.  I grew up when speedreading was the thing - IOW I can read 10 paragraphs in 5 seconds by only reading the first line of each paragraph (if there are paragraphs) and scan the rest until I get the gist of the content. 

Problem is is that the long post may have alot of irrelevant content (to the original post) so I throw it out.

Like I said less is more especially when so much info is being thrown around.

bs  

18 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Exactly, meaning I'm not reading your well constructed post.

bs

A case of 'can't have your cake and eat it'.

Albert

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;
2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, stubbornswiss said:

A case of 'can't have your cake and eat it'.

Question is - is it cake or a lot of baloney?

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

42 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I don't mind long posts, as long as the info is interesting and relevant

Hear hear.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

they ... require excessive storage on the servers...

Given that the bulk of the forum's servers contents are in plaintext, the forum messages should be easily compressible and not an issue.

For example, I'm working on a second draft of a novel, and I'm writing it in plaintext. My word count is right about 16,000 words, so roughly 64 formatted pages if printed as a US trade paperback (rough rule of thumb says 250 words = 1 page). This takes only 96 KB of space. On a 1.44 MB floppy disk, I could store this file 15 times—even though this technology is so old and so space-restricted that none of us use it.

And this is uncompressed. If I compressed the file, I could probably fit even more copies. In fact, for kicks and giggles, I compressed the file using 7z. This compressed the file down to 36 KB. Now I could fit roughly 41 copies of the file on the 1.44 MB floppy disk.

Storage is so ridiculously cheap today that it's a non-issue.

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

they take a long time to read, ... and often lead to information overload

Given others have already addressed this, I'll try to not pile on, but just to suffice that if you've read Nicholas Carr's The Shallows, he likens the literary mind to a landmark development which allowed the human race to do a great many things. He argues that studies are demonstrating that computers and the internet in particular are destroying the literary mind, creating a mind which rewards small hits of dopamine in rapid succession (i.e. social media) and is unable to sustain the concentration required to read a book. This is terrifying.

Edited by samcan
Word choice
  • Like 3

PC Specs: Intel i5-7500, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB GPU, 1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2, 1TB spinning rust HD (via SATA), 3TB spinning rust HD (via USB), Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

FSX: SE | MSFS2020

If you want shorter posts, got to twitter.

Edited by Farlis

I rather read a very long well-thought, knowledgable, interesting and constructive post than a dozen short-sighted, hostile, know-it-all and self-opinionated posts that are completely useless and are of no avail at all for the community.

Unfortunately the latter are much more prevalent on avsim - just like on almost every other internet forum - than the former. I'd like to have more of the former.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

I understand why some posts are long (> 10 lines / paragraphs) because the poster want to be clear.  However they take a long time to read, require excessive storage on the servers and often lead to information overload.  Then it may be quoted 1 or more times to exacerbate the problem.

Please state your message concisely and relevant to the topic and if needed add more clarity in a second paragraph.

We with old eyes will appreciate it.

Thanks

bs

TL;DR (soz 😉)

• Like 3

spacer.png
filbertflies.comYouTube | Twitch

i7 13700k, GeForce RTX 3080Ti, 32GB RAM