Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Live developer Q&A on Twitch at 10:30am PST.

Everyone needs to watch this. It was super informative and you can see that the team is trying very hard to make this sim as amazing as possible. It is clearly a HUGE task but these guys have the talent and commitment to deliver. We just need patience, and we need to support them by reporting issues in as much detail as possible over at the msfs website. 

• Like 18
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

4 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

they talked about 5M DEM

The 5m DEM is for the Japan update. Jorg said that the US DEM will be “crazy high” by comparison (or words to that effect)

Edited by Redge
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Good Q&A in general, though I'm really bummed that they misunderstood / misinterpreted our request for a scenery (airport) gateway system, as well as my question on accurate taxiway names and airport updates. Yes, they have a team going through airports, but that's ineffective and not scalable. We just need (1) the ability to edit / modify default airports, and (2) the ability to upload them to the sim so that everyone can have the correct scenery layouts. Hopefully they see this soon enough. Inaccurate taxiway names and signs are probably my biggest issues with the sim right now.

Yes, I have the feeling that Jayne missed the main point of this question. Don't get me wrong, I think she's doing a great job at interacting with the community, and selecting / communicating the questions to Jörg and Seb, but on this one she got a bit lost. Great interview though, great Q&A and great work from everyone involved in this live stream!

• Like 4

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

2 minutes ago, Farlis said:

In case no ones mentioned it to you yet that was the last thing Sebastian adressed.

He said they DIDN'T reduce anything on the draw distance. They are in fact working on expanding the LOD that you see on higher altitutes because that comes at next to no data or performance cost.

They are seeing the reports, they are noticing that something is going on in those screenshots and they look into what could be the cause. But they didn't purposefully reduce the LOD of anything. So it must be some sort of unexpected bug.

He did however mention that something in the process may have potentially hosed the LOD. What's worrying here is that their regression testing or lack of it is pretty evident. The other guy from Microsoft said that they know they're releasing too much and are going to scale down the update content and working on an actual pre-release closed beta system. Phew.

• Like 3

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

3 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Night lighting on terrain was explained very well along with the fix.

I missed that. Do you happen to have a time stamp so that I can check it back on twitch?

Edit: I just started watching the Q&A from the top and it tickled me to hear Jörg introduce himself as Jorg Newman instead of Jörg Neumann.

Edited by Farlis

Nothing about the logbook and nothing about partnering with a 3rd party avionics developer?  I understood there was an indication they would improve the default Garmins, but it sounded like they went light on it to allow developers some access.  But my understanding is that the SDK may fall short of providing what the developers need.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

they talked about 5M DEM

USGS seems to have 1m DEM for the continental US and 5m for Alaska. See https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/item/543e6b86e4b0fd76af69cf4c

The one-meter DEM is the highest resolution standard DEM offered in the 3DEP product suite. Other 3DEP products are nationally seamless DEMs in resolutions of 1/3, 1, and 2 arc seconds. These seamless DEMs were referred to as the National Elevation Dataset (NED) from about 2000 through 2015 at which time they became the seamless DEM layers under the 3DEP program and the NED name and system were retired. Other 3DEP products include five-meter DEMs in Alaska

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

7 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

they talked about 5M DEM

For Japan. It could be even higher resolution for the US.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Nothing about the logbook and nothing about partnering with a 3rd party avionics developer?  I understood there was an indication they would improve the default Garmins, but it sounded like they went light on it to allow developers some access.  But my understanding is that the SDK may fall short of providing what the developers need.

They've changed their mind on the G1000/G3000 because 3rd party dev would like to us theirs as part of their 3rd party aircraft instead of making their own. So they might not have single page but it will improved dramatically 

Edited by fogboundturtle
  • Like 6

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

6 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Night lighting on terrain was explained very well along with the fix. LOD being looked at as well as being increased. Good stuff.

What was said about night lighting on terrain?

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

5 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

What was said about night lighting on terrain?

They're actively looking into the availability of high quality photographic night terrain data. They said currently they fall back to the low quality data below 10km (below 30000ft), and they're trying to push the use of the current data beyond 20-30km altitude, with a better quality for anything below

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

What an absolutely GARBAGE update that was....total dumpster fire! I mean sure they spoke to almost every question and concerned brought up over the last few weeks. But not ONE SINGLE WORD about the "Honeycomb issue" 🤬 UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

....Whew that was a close one!, Sorry this thread was trending way too positive. Somebody had to bring it back to Earth. You can thank me later </s> 😉

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Chris

11 minutes ago, Redge said:

The 5m DEM is for the Japan update. Jorg said that the US DEM will be “crazy high” by comparison (or words to that effect)

I just wonder what that kind of resolution means in practice. What settings do I need to apply to see it at 5 m, and at what distance/height does it become downgraded? 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

4 minutes ago, pstrub said:

They're actively looking into the availability of high quality photographic night terrain data. They said currently they fall back to the low quality data below 10km (below 30000ft), and they're trying to push the use of the current data beyond 20-30km altitude, with a better quality for anything below

Hmm, don’t know how to take that. From what I’ve seen, the night lighting in alpha/beta looks WAY better than we have now. Why not just revert back to that? Seems easy.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot