Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

World Update 2: USA - Scope?

20 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

They have said repeatedly that all the world updates will be free.

It sounds like world updates are free at this time, although I suppose the wording is loose enough that they could change their plans later.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-dlc-updates-roadmap notes:

Future free updates come split across two primary forms: world updates addressing its globe, and changes to the simulation. The team hopes to deliver focused updates, cycling between the world and simulation, to achieve "something meaningful" every month.

And paid DLC is described as other expansions outside of core features:

Microsoft Flight Simulator will also introduce paid DLC every "two to three months," set to add new flagship features outside of the free updates and content refreshes. Those milestones will delve into new facets of simulation, beyond its initial focuses for launch content.

The first DLC for Microsoft Flight Simulator plans to introduce helicopters...

Microsoft will announce further paid DLC packs as they come, remaining coy on upcoming plans.

Edited by samcan

PC Specs: Intel i5-7500, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB GPU, 1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2, 1TB spinning rust HD (via SATA), 3TB spinning rust HD (via USB), Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

FSX: SE | MSFS2020

A better DEM for the US would be among the best things I could imagine for an update. It's already really good around popular areas such as the Angeles National Forest bit it lacks once you venture further. Will be interesting in terms of performance. In X-Plane, both the HD and the UHD mesh, especially the latter, cost FPS. 

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

22 minutes ago, samcan said:

It sounds like world updates are free at this time, although I suppose the wording is loose enough that they could change their plans later.

Doesn't sound loose to me.

World + sim updates are free. Then there will be paid DLCs additionally.

Of course, one of these might also contain scenery.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

5 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Doesn't sound loose to me.

World + sim updates are free. Then there will be paid DLCs additionally.

Of course, one of these might also contain scenery.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much like a lawyer (IANAL, nor do I play one on TV), but I could interpret this as non-exclusionary:

1. We have free world updates.
  2. We have paid DLC which "add new flagship features."

I could argue that "flagship features" don't necessarily include the world scenery.

Compare the Standard version with the upgrades: The Standard version includes the same airports as the upgrades, but the upgrades include some of those airports as "handcrafted." Microsoft could make an argument that any base updates to the world map are free, meaning you get whatever the AI auto-creates from satellite imagery, but if you want this "SUPER DUPER Handdrawn Bridges Pack" (or whatever), that will be paid.

Edited by samcan

PC Specs: Intel i5-7500, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB GPU, 1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2, 1TB spinning rust HD (via SATA), 3TB spinning rust HD (via USB), Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

FSX: SE | MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Todd2 said:

and add boats lots of boats.

This is crazy ... Surely the priority must be on mud crabs in a muddy creek under 10 feet of dirty water.  If MSFS put boats ... lots of boats we will never see those crabs because they will be hiding under the boats. LOL

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 hour ago, Todd2 said:

and add boats lots of boats.

Sounds like a DLC opportunity for some entrepreneur to make some $$$.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

This could be the fix that adds all the missing towers - radio towers, cell phone towers, water towers, and the cross country pylon type high voltage electrical distribution lines and underground pipeline right of ways.  As mentioned earlier, tons of classic highway and railroad bridges, and all the marinas that are partially underwater.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

26 minutes ago, raymar said:

the cross country pylon type high voltage electrical distribution lines

I got a bunch of these in  last update.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Hi Guys,

Disregarding the nonsense in my last response to this topic, I see any world update as a huge plus. I have yet to fly in the last updated Japan nor have I flown in the US but I have to say that regardless of the content in this projected US update, I cannot really see any negatives in it. 

I am hoping that NONE of these world updates become any form of payware and that it remains much the same as in Xplane. (in principal only, because the XPlane scenery included in the default version is not all that great. It is however freeware for the entire globe.) Maybe, just maybe, this aspect would have been a better approach ie offer a world map in which each country or continent is downloadable without having to download the entire world which some may never fly in.  Then introduce the world updates as they appear to be doing now.

I know that MSFS will probably miss out on a revenue stream but I would really like to see it become much the same as all the other platforms ie have a good and working base and let the 3PDs create and perfect the aircraft and some specific sceneries and utilities.

In order to achieve this, the SDK very much needs updating and whilst the world updates (hurry up with OZ please LOL) are very welcome, I would very much like to see the SDK become a first priority, AFTER the bug fixes which have affected some people.  

In the meantime, despite the problems and frustrations experienced by some, we really do have a great platform on which to build.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Will be interesting in terms of performance. In X-Plane, both the HD and the UHD mesh, especially the latter, cost FPS. 

I was wondering about this but haven’t noticed any difference in FPS in Japan for MSFS, whereas the UHD Japan mesh came at quite a hit (fantastic though it was).

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

42 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I am hoping that NONE of these world updates become any form of payware and that it remains much the same as in Xplane

XP remains a bit of a free-for-all with addons, and long may it remain so. Its own HD meshes were all down to the largesse of a true freeware hero (Alpilot X), but afaik he’s said he’s out of the game now.

I’ve been very impressed with Asobo’s Japan update so would also be really happy if they were able to eventually bring most areas of the world to a similar standard for free. Also if their goal is to have a high quality world engine to sell to other game devs / use for other games of their own, then it makes sense for them to do this groundwork for MSFS.

OTOH I doubt anyone would be surprised if more niche areas start to be charged for.

Edited by scotchegg

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I personally really hope the next world update after USA become Scandinavia, it is really needed as it looks very bad.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

I got a bunch of these in  last update.

I saw those for the 1st time today, I almost hit it one of the high voltage towers, never thought I had to worry about them, much less see one.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

6 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

...In order to achieve this, the SDK very much needs updating and whilst the world updates (hurry up with OZ please LOL) are very welcome, I would very much like to see the SDK become a first priority, AFTER the bug fixes which have affected some people...

You have to understand, that there are more than one group of developers are working on MSFS improvement. Sure isn't possbible, that all of developers works on everything in MSFS 🙂 . But some of deveopers works on SDK, other developers works on world scenery, other developers work on custom 3D objects, other developers works on planes etc. I'm sure, that the most of graphic developers can't do programming the SDK or aircrafts systems and the most of SDK programmers can't do a graphic side of MSFS. There are a few groups of developers in Asobo, each of this are working on the independent part of MSFS and it isn't possible moving people between group. So it's a very probably, that work on world updates don't affect work on SDK and the aircafts systems.

Edited by ludekbrno

10 hours ago, Drumcode said:

I guess due to my time limitation of being a fairly new parent, plus checking out the base scenery, I had no idea there was so many mods for this sim already. My lord, this is crazy! Thanks for sharing it. 

Mod question, are these getting erased with each new MSFT update? 

Make sure that you have moved all your mods out of the community folder when you update. Also worth noting that it is Blackshark that are working on the World updates, and they have probably been updating the U.S. for months.

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!