Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

Carenado PA44 mini review

So here is a list of bugs I discovered so far.

Bad:

1. When fuel pump is on, fuel pressure dashes pass red tick  or max 8 psi 

2. Turning off left or right magneto for given engine  doesn't effect RPM. RPM should drop! 

3. Blue tick at Vy 88kts is missing on airspeed indicator

4. Shutting down fuel valve doesn't shut down engine right away. Usually it take 5 to 10 seconds

5. Day/night switch inop 

Good:

1, Can feather engine, shut down and restart

2. Cowl flaps seems affect both speed and cylinder temperature

3. Can sync prop using engine sound aka wawa  

4. Turning off alternator causing annunciator light lit 

• Like 5

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Overall....like or no like?

I know you probably need more time in it for that question, but I'm staying away from this one because I really don't think I'll fly her in day to day.

If they pop out a Cheyanne though....that might be hard to resist. 🙂 

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

17 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Overall....like or no like?

I know you probably need more time in it for that question, but I'm staying away from this one because I really don't think I'll fly her in day to day.

If they pop out a Cheyanne though....that might be hard to resist. 🙂 

Carenado produced so far 3 planes. I flew them all in real life (not necessarily the same modification though!) Coincident? 

Well, I'm not entirely blown off, but I sure do appreciate feathering prop and loss control below Vmc ! So yes I'm excited about that!

I'm still testing. But it seems Carenado PA44 little out perform in climb though. Need some more research. For those who wants to try

image0.jpg?width=1729&height=1297

image0.jpg?width=1730&height=1297

This is tempting....I assume this is basically the Alabeo version?  I had that one some time ago in P3D and it was decent and if I recall Carenado partnered with them (?).  I did my Multi rating in a brand new Seminole back in the 90's so have some affinity towards it.  Might be a long wait for the A2A Aerostar.....

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

12 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

This is tempting....I assume this is basically the Alabeo version?  I had that one some time ago in P3D and it was decent and if I recall Carenado partnered with them (?).  I did my Multi rating in a brand new Seminole back in the 90's so have some affinity towards it.  Might be a long wait for the A2A Aerostar.....

Given lack of aircraft add ons...starvation for feathering prop...LOL I think it will fill the gap meanwhile. However, if I had to choose between A2A and Carenado I would prefer A2A! But given circumstances I think it's OK to get PA44!

P.S. I flew only 3 twins IRL. PA44, BE76 and BE95. Although  most of my hours in PA44, so I have emotional attachments with this one 🙂

• Like 1

Found another one HSI doesn't sync when GNS in GPS mod (it should because there is GPS indicator on HSI). However, I'm using GNS530 mod so may be that is why

Does the fuel pump switch work with an assignment (Alt-P is the default) or the logitech switch panel? Or is it broken like the Mooney has been since it's release?

James

44 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

The Milviz 310 is in the pipe... and looks to be good! I too am waiting for the Aerostar and figure it will be late 2021 or even 2022. I wish they could port over some of the other A2A models. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm having trouble with the autopilot.  I turn the AP on and select the NAV function and sometimes it follows the NAV line other times especially after hitting the ALT hold switch it takes a nose dive I must be doing something wrong guess I need to read the documentation!  

16 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

Does the fuel pump switch work with an assignment (Alt-P is the default) or the logitech switch panel? Or is it broken like the Mooney has been since it's release?

I don't use default  assignment for fuel pump. There are actually two fuel pumps (one per engines) so I don't know it it will work or not with ALT-P

Blast from the past!

ss2.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg?width=1947&height=1298

IMG_8922.jpg?width=1947&height=1298

IMG_8913.jpg?width=1947&height=1298

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Todd2 said:

I'm having trouble with the autopilot.  I turn the AP on and select the NAV function and sometimes it follows the NAV line other times especially after hitting the ALT hold switch it takes a nose dive I must be doing something wrong guess I need to read the documentation!  

That demonstrates its Port-over DNA.

In the climb in the Alabeo 44 when you hit ALT on the AP the Bendix has already nailed the altitude you selected ALT at and will dive the aircraft to intercept - if you were in the climb at the time.

Correct procedure is to see the aircraft levelled off nicely and in trim before introducing the automatics. Never simply throw the aircraft at the AP; sneak up on it with it, if that makes sense?

Whenever you 'put in' the AP on any aircraft whatsoever - there should be no discernible change in the aircrafts pitch, roll or attitude. That happens after you have satisfied yourself that the aircraft is stable in AP.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

Blast from the past!

Is that 3rd pic CRQ?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Is that 3rd pic CRQ?

Yes

• Like 1