Sign in to follow this  
buspelle

Moving over to SSD or not?

Hi, just wonder, I have MSFS installed on my "normal" harddrive today... Its ok, but will I gain better preformance, and better fps/smoother "simming" and less stutter if I reinstall MSFS into my DDS drive?

Love

Buspelle

If you have the room, I'd do that. You probably won't see a major change in performance but there will be some improvement. I have mine on an M.2 drive with an RTX3800 and a 5900X and do not see stutters on Ultra settings.

Edited by ricka47

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

15 minutes ago, buspelle said:

Hi, just wonder, I have MSFS installed on my "normal" harddrive today... Its ok, but will I gain better preformance, and better fps/smoother "simming" and less stutter if I reinstall MSFS into my DDS drive?

Love

Buspelle

Games that are installed on your SSD will load quicker than they will if they were installed on your HDD.  So yes, you should install MSFS20 onto your SSD.

SSD vs HDD Tested: What’s the Difference and Which Is Better? | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

• Like 1

Faster loading of everything would be the result. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

51 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Faster loading of everything would be the result.

but only if on the same drive as the OS (ie both on the SSD) .... ???

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

Not sure why anyone is still on normal HDD these days for gaming....SSD all the way. Load times are quicker and it'll be a lot smoother as less time spent waiting for the I/O to fetch stuff from disk since it's A LOT quicker.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, vadriver said:

but only if on the same drive as the OS (ie both on the SSD) .... ???

nope

• Upvote 2

As above, load times will be quicker but there probably won't be any noticeable difference in performance. That said, if you do decide to go with the SSD it doesn't matter whether or not the OS is on the same drive. Because of the elimination of the latency caused by the mechanical movement of the HDD drive's head he old advice to put the OS on a separate drive doesn't apply to SSDs..

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks for Your kind and helpfull answers! I will uninstall MSFS from its present place, and reinstall it on my SSD... Hopefully I have the space I need...

Love

Buspelle

4 minutes ago, buspelle said:

Hopefully I have the space I need

If not, SSDs of moderate size have become very cheap these days.   You can get a fairly well regarded model of 512GB NVMe drive, which will hold plenty of data, for under $100.  Or a similar one if you need to go with SATA.  

(I've not used that first one, but I've owned several versions of the latter over the years.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buspelle said:

Thanks for Your kind and helpfull answers! I will uninstall MSFS from its present place, and reinstall it on my SSD... Hopefully I have the space I need...

Love

Buspelle

Good idea to leave some headroom. How big is your SSD?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'd certainly want to run MSFS & Windows from SSD, although (personally) I would only put both on the same drive if it was 1TB+ - guess that largely depends on your attitude to add-ons (including World Updates)...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

SSDs are fabulous for your OS drive (way faster boot) and any data intensive programs like MSFS.  Load times will be a big improvement I’m sure.  I was using P3D when I made the change and the load time reductions were dramatic.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Good idea to leave some headroom. How big is your SSD?

237 GB, but  there is other things in there that take some space, so I hope it will be enough...😀

4 hours ago, buspelle said:

Love

Buspelle

I had to move MSFS off of my SSD because I ran out of space.