Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Capping FPS needed to cool down GPU

3 hours ago, Ixoye said:

And due to the fact that I run my monitor at 60 hz, the fps never goes higher than 60 during the start up of the game either.

Are you sure that this is the reason as I have been using an 60Hz monitor either and without limiting the fps in nivdia control panel fps were in the 700's if I recall correctely.

Temps with my 3090 are high too. MSFS uses around 70-80% of GPU and 11-20ish percent of CPU. Temps are rocket high especially for cpu 90°ish. GPU is around 80°C.

I cap my frames at 33 Frames, and it look, I made it right.

20210801_194050.jpg

Over 3 Monitors

20210801_194256.jpg

• Like 1

Stephan from Germany

My System

24 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Are you sure that this is the reason as I have been using an 60Hz monitor either and without limiting the fps in nivdia control panel fps were in the 700's if I recall correctely.

Temps with my 3090 are high too. MSFS uses around 70-80% of GPU and 11-20ish percent of CPU. Temps are rocket high especially for cpu 90°ish. GPU is around 80°C.

I use Steam fps counter and it shows 60fps while the game is loading, and it show 100 fps before when I run my monitor at 100hz, my GPU temperature rarely goes above 70C, it lays normally between 62-65 C, the same goes for my CPU.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Something has changed with SU5 which is affecting the behaviour of my 3090. Earlier for instance it ramped up to 100% usage with temps at 91C.

my GPU never hits 100% @1440p Ultra, only when I use 150 render scale or at times slightly less will it max out like that. 

and those temps are a little scary IMO 

during the example earlier I was flying near LA towards Van Nuys, over some hills with insane tree coverage 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

4 hours ago, RobJC said:

I noticed on my system that my GPU can hit 90+ C really fast if I am not using fan control software like MSI Afterburner. The other thing is, once I clamped down on the runaway FPS (i lock my FPS at 60) I noticed that not only did my GPU temps drop to from 71-71 C to 67-68 C, but my RAM dropped 5-8 C and my CPU cores dropped maybe 8-10 C. The entire system just runs cooler when you cap the FPS. By letting my FPS jump to 80+ during flight, and 600+ in menus, I was creating a ton of unnecessary heat, and that was leading to CTDs in MSFS. 

Now everything is cool and stable. And... no CTDs. 

Did you cap it within msfs ? doesen’t seem to work for me, I set 30 but it goes well above 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webstef68 said:

Did you cap it within msfs ? doesen’t seem to work for me, I set 30 but it goes well above 🤔

It's becasue like many things its wrong, or put a better way very misleading.

First V-Sync ON Thats set to your screens Refreash rate. 

FPS Locked to 30 FPS or 20FPS, thats BS well not totaly.

I will give you two E.G.

If your screen is set to 60Hz

V-Sync ON

FPS set to 30FPS it will set 30 FPS and it also will Set 20 FPS

Now here is the BS

If you set you Refresh rate to 120Hz

Lock it as 30 FPS.......It now will lock your FPS to 60 FPS

Lock it as 20 FPS.......it now will lock your FPS to 40 FPS

Becasue the interface is so bad.

It should read

Lock you frames to 1/2 of your refreash rate

Lock your frames to 1/3 of your refreash rate

Its no wonder so many people think it does not work....Its OK its not you just the terrable way they word it.

I hope that helps?

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

It's called Adaptive V-Sync.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Using G-Sync does the same thing, it just matches and links my FPS with my monitor (which I've set at 95 Hz). 
It provides a really smooth performance, and the card doesn't get into the "runaway FPS" situation. 
No frame limiter or V-Sync required.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

6 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Using G-Sync does the same thing, it just matches and links my FPS with my monitor (which I've set at 95 Hz). 
It provides a really smooth performance, and the card doesn't get into the "runaway FPS" situation. 
No frame limiter or V-Sync required.

As I look at my screen now, in the corner it says Nvidia G-Sync, but as you know there is G-Sync and there is "G-Sync"..very diffrent.One like mine is very miss leading but I know that before I bought it, did not buy it for that. A True G-Sync is a great thing.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've had only one CTD after SU5 so far, but I do remember it was during a session where I had deliberately turned off nVidia fps limiting (which I usually set at 30 fps, which keeps my 3070 nicely cool and quiet) to check if SU5 reaches higher fps. I noticed that with some menus fps went over 800, which seemed strange to me. After placing my nVidia fps limit back, this time at 36, I haven't had any CTD anymore.

Could it be that some / many / most CTD's people experience may have to do with graphics cards shutting down?

This could be worth a poll:

- I use fps limiting and I do not / seldom have a CTD

- I use fps limiting and I do have frequent CTD

- I do not use fps limiting and I do not / seldom have a CTD

- I do not use fps limiting and I do have frequent CTD

Edited by RudyB24
  • Like 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

3 hours ago, webstef68 said:

In nvidia control panel. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

8 hours ago, Nyxx said:

It's becasue like many things its wrong, or put a better way very misleading.

First V-Sync ON Thats set to your screens Refreash rate. 

FPS Locked to 30 FPS or 20FPS, thats BS well not totaly.

I will give you two E.G.

If your screen is set to 60Hz

V-Sync ON

FPS set to 30FPS it will set 30 FPS and it also will Set 20 FPS

Now here is the BS

If you set you Refresh rate to 120Hz

Lock it as 30 FPS.......It now will lock your FPS to 60 FPS

Lock it as 20 FPS.......it now will lock your FPS to 40 FPS

Becasue the interface is so bad.

It should read

Lock you frames to 1/2 of your refreash rate

Lock your frames to 1/3 of your refreash rate

Its no wonder so many people think it does not work....Its OK its not you just the terrable way they word it.

I hope that helps?

Thank you for the explanation! I have a Free Sync G-Sync compatible samsung screen set at 144 at the moment, i will try 20 in msfs to cap it down to 36 if y understood correctly 😉. Because my GC runs at 100% / 80 deg at the moment (MSI afterburner) and that means fans are running at 90%, louder than the DC-6 engines 😁

8 hours ago, Nyxx said:

As I look at my screen now, in the corner it says Nvidia G-Sync, but as you know there is G-Sync and there is "G-Sync"..very diffrent.One like mine is very miss leading but I know that before I bought it, did not buy it for that. A True G-Sync is a great thing.

I have an Acer Predator X34A 100 Hz 3440x1440 IPS monitor. It's a few years old now, but I do believe it has true G-Sync. I'm running it at 95 Hz because there's some minor shimmering in the top left corner at 100 Hz. Very happy with it, it's great for Flight Sim.

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

My GPU could get quite hot, but my CPU temps were OK before SU5.  Now my GPU is running cooler at about 70c but my CPU is getting really quite hot, going over 90c at times.  Specs below and running at stock.

Pauses and stutters seem to occur when my CPU gets into the high 80s.

I did find limiting FPS to 30 helped a little with CPU temps (though I would have expected that to affect GPU temps more).

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)