Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

MSFS focusing for the hard core simmer market, not X-Box!

31 minutes ago, psolk said:

I would need a justification and someone to explain to me why we need historical weather as well to be fair.  In all my years of using ActiveSky it has been set to real world live weather depiction, I've never used historic weather in all my years of simming    

<sigh> 😉

I, among many, have explained why in this forum and over there.

When I fire up my sim at 3 pm in France and want to fly a midday flight in SE Asia (an example), MSFS gives me the LW of the middle of the night there. If I want to fly on the Pacific coast of the Americas, I get the early morning weather.

I want the LW set for the time I fly. This is only possible with historical weather. I personally would be content with a 24h history. Some fellow simmers also ask to be able to fly a Summer flight in January (another example) which would entail a 12 months historical weather.

I suppose it is not much of a problem when you only fly your home turf and a couple of time zones around. I do fly everywhere on the planet. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

<sigh> 😉

When I fire up my sim at 3 pm in France and want to fly a midday flight in SE Asia (an example), MSFS gives me the LW of the middle of the night there. If I want to fly on the Pacific coast of the Americas, I get the early morning weather.

I want the LW set for the time I fly. This is only possible with historical weather. I personally would be content with a 24h history. Some fellow simmers also ask to be able to fly a Summer flight in January (another example) which would entail a 12 months historical weather.

I suppose it is not much of a problem when you only fly your home turf and a couple of time zones around. I do fly everywhere on the planet. 

Oh, I get it now I'm just saying it wouldn't be something I considered so someone would have had to explain or "justify" it to me too...   Yes, when I fly KEWR-LLBG and land at LLBG at 4pm you are correct I am getting the weather from 11pm not 4pm but it's not something that ever crossed my mind or that I considered.  I just land in whatever the real world weather is at the time I arrive. To me it is actually more realistic to have the weather dynamic when I arrive instead of knowing when I leave KEWR exactly what I am arriving to 10 hours later.  I actually enjoying not knowing until I get closer what the approach will be as it may have changed in the 10 hours I've been in the air from what I originally expected but completely understand what you are saying.  

Not dismissing anything just explaining why some things that are obvious to some might need explaining or "justification" to others.... 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

12 minutes ago, psolk said:

The one thing you got right is I have too much on my plate!!!  Heading out in 2 hours for pre-admission testing for a 3 level cervical fusion that will be immediately followed by a procedure to remove part of my esophagus as soon as I am healthy enough to go BACK under the knife from the fusion.  So with 2 MAJOR surgeries and months of rehabilitation in my future you did get that right I definitively have too much on my hands which is probably why all those things you listed don't really bother me... 

I'm not disputing that the sim is beautiful and worth the price. I'm just hoping that more emphasis is placed on the core sim than the eye candy. If MSFS wants to focus on the hard core simmer, then I feel that would be a good start.

God bless and hope that everything goes well.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 minute ago, psolk said:

Oh, I get it now I'm just saying it wouldn't be something I considered so someone would have had to explain or "justify" it to me too...   Yes, when I fly KEWR-LLBG and land at LLBG at 4pm you are correct I am getting the weather from 11pm not 4pm but it's not something that ever crossed my mind or that I considered.  I just land in whatever the real world weather is at the time I arrive.

Not dismissing anything just explaining why some things that are obvious to some might need explaining or "justification" to others.... 

Paul  I lived in Tel Aviv and the weather doesn't generally have large amplitudes during the day, except the  wind from sea/from the land type of things. In California where I lived too it can make huge differences (fog).

I suppose that flying GA or airliners makes a difference too.

Best wishes for the calvary awaiting you

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

25 minutes ago, DJJose said:

That A2A has not released an add-on for MSFS. PMDG has not released their 737. These are the facts and the are undisputed. 😀

You want some more?

I have to buy a Seasons add-on for a sim that is mainly eye candy.

The live weather feature is still broken.

The AI traffic is still broke,

ATC is still broken.

After every update, something brakes or can brake.

I can go on and on.

You have too much in your hands.

Read your signature.

This is what I mean in simpler words…  

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

<sigh> 😉

I'd like to add another aspect. When I was on a long flight and have saved an enroute flight sitution close to the TOD, or on STAR approach, I'd like to load this situation with the correct (historical) weather at a later date.  This works flawlessly in P3D/HiiFi. I hope we get this feature in MSFS too, especially, when PMDG etc. are part of the sim. Unfortunately, currently we cannot even correctly load a saved flight situation in MSFS because we dont't have even access to the in-sim toolbar ...

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

8 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I'm not disputing that the sim is beautiful and worth the price. I'm just hoping that more emphasis is placed on the core sim than the eye candy. If MSFS wants to focus on the hard core simmer, then I feel that would be a good start.

God bless and hope that everything goes well.

Thank you sincerely!!  Nothing I type is personal I hope it is not taken lie that I just LOVE playing devils advocate 🙂  I am not typically known as the "quiet guy from the east coast" in my business meetings LOL  🙂  Thank you again and I think the MSFS team is listening, the prop effects they demonstrated are a good indicator they are getting there and listening.  

7 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Paul  I lived in Tel Aviv and the weather doesn't generally have large amplitudes during the day, except the  wind from sea/from the land type of things. In California where I lived too it can make huge differences (fog).

I suppose that flying GA or airliners makes a difference too.

Best wishes for the calvary awaiting you

Thank you Dominique!  Yes, the only difference is typically if you are going to come in on the 8/12 approach or the 26/30 approach.  Other than that 12C in the winter and 30C in summer with clear skies is pretty commonplace LOL.  My goodness, from Tel Aviv to California, you must work in technology 😉  Am I mistaken you live in the EU now.  Fascinating getting to live in/explore such different places in the world.  

Thank you both for the support!  

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 hour ago, pstrub said:

Heating up but at least folks are keeping it civil

that can be changed. just comment on Rob Ainscough's post, and poof, this thread is gone. anyone?

• Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

56 minutes ago, pstrub said:

Do you expect them to implement just anything WITHOUT a justification? That wouldn't make any sense at all...

No of course not, we are talking about broken or missing flight sim features.

Do you think Jorg needed much persuasion to add Australia or Iberia or any other wished for World Update? How about Reno or that Top Gun DLC?

Why is requesting hardcore flight sim functionality being met with so much resistance then? Does it not make financial sense?

2 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

No of course not, we are talking about broken or missing flight sim features.

Do you think Jorg needed much persuasion to add Australia or Iberia or any other wished for World Update? How about Reno or that Top Gun DLC?

Why is requesting hardcore flight sim functionality being met with so much resistance then? Does it not make financial sense?

I don't see "so much resistance" ... or "much persuasion" ... All I see is that before including a feature, it has to make sense to them. And that's as reasonable as it gets to me.

• Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

That A2A has not released an add-on for MSFS. PMDG has not released their 737. These are the facts and the are undisputed. 😀

You want some more?

I have to buy a Seasons add-on for a sim that is mainly eye candy.

The live weather feature is still broken.

The AI traffic is still broke,

ATC is still broken.

After every update, something brakes or can brake.

Before the release, it was crystal clear that the sim would not include seasons and a decent ATC. Wloch seemed reluctant then and pretty vague about the future of these features (remember the migrating ducks over Bordeaux ?). We bought the sim knowing that. There was even a time when we feared not to have any ATC at all and only the pressure of the street, I surmise, brought the old FSX ATC back. BTW, I don't see much differences between the ATC I have now and the one I had in P3D. 

You didn't "have to" buy seasons. You chose to. The sim works quite well without any season addons. All the old simmers know that is the main drawback of PR scenery. Nothing new.

AI : I use the default Live Traffic. Everywhere I go, I see airliners.  Yesterday the default ATC was speaking with a default Viva Air Colombia liner on my com. Thats more than in any other sim offers at the moment, right ?  The  spectrum of aircraft is limited and the liveries are awful, I give you that, but the AI traffic is here. I would also add that the Asobo/Microsoft hype about this feature was deceptive . They promised more than they delivered, I agree.   

About A2A,. They have not released an aircraft for P3D for years either if you except the rehab their older FSX models for P3D. Why ? They have plenty on their plates with their military contracts. MSFS has nothing to do with it. Maybe a good excuse to take their time.

PMDG. You tell me in which way their DC-6 is   inferior to any other aircraft for P3D or XP. A 737 is not the benchmark/Holy Grail of serious flight simulation anyway.

This sim is far from perfect. I say it quite often here. I am personally a bit upset by the degradation of the LW since SU5 that only the sycophants deny. I can't say that I am enthusiastic about the updates either (understatement). But no need to exaggerate things.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

18 hours ago, Doug47 said:

That’s pretty much every other simulator? MSFS is known to be sorely lacking with this. Hopefully this will improve but I don’t think so. 

I certainly have my issues with MSFS's depiction of real-time weather from time to time.  But it is still far and away better than any of the other simulators right now in the depiction of real-time weather.  Compared to out-of-the-box XP11, P3D and DCS (which does not even model real-time weather), what I see in MSFS blows them away.  You must be using a sim that I am not aware of...

• Like 1

Why should MSFS be focused on hard core simmers that will not bring the money need for long term development, FSX was considered Niche product by MS and we know how that turned out.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

15 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

But it is still far and away better than any of the other simulators right now in the depiction of real-time weather.   

You don't put the bar very high as no other sim offers a default LW 😏 .

I was very impressed, before release, by what they showed us, the joint product of Asobo and MeteoBlue (except for the pyroclastic clouds but,, hey!, nobody's perfect).  

To keep in the spirit of the thread the questions are now :

- does MSFS offer a decent live weather planning tool ? It still doesn't.

- Is the weather depiction better that it was at release ? It is not IMHO. Asobo has not addressed the missing features (more types of clouds for instance, better coordination of the World Map weather, windsocks, ATIS etc) .And we are quite a few to see a degradation of the live weather depiction. It was caricatural in SU7, have been partly (partly only) corrected by SU7.1 but it has really begun, I reckon, with SU5.

• Like 1

Dominique