Sign in to follow this  
sanh

Has MSFS stalled?

17 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Now the question is answered - you do realise the rest of your post was posted by a fanb*y, don't you?

Well, you seem to have a flair for observing and stating the obvious... yes of course liking one sim doesn't mean to hate another. And of course I'm a fan of MSFS, and quite happily got back into flight simming with it after evaluating all sims in 2019, since I only wanted to stick to one sim.. if other sims start to compel me again, I'll become a fan of them too, and even switch to one of them exclusively. The rest of my post stuck to what MSFS is about and its virtues, as I and others see it 🙂 What I don't do is get all triggered if fans of other sims sing their virtues, or even claim it is the best ever, etc etc... more power to them, use the sim or sims that suits your needs best, that's all. But if false statements or misinformation about MSFS is propagated in a MSFS forum, then there's gonna be a lot of fact checking and response from many around here, including from me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

😲🥴😬

Reading a bit more carefully might help you comprehend better. Otherwise I guess we can move on 🙂

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I do get the OP's point that it's taking a while for every single super-duper feature to be in MSFS, but that little quiz above which I created shows that in reality, MSFS is moving at a blistering pace compared to previous sims and that stuff will show up.

It's worth remembering that we had to wait literally five years for PMDG to get their 737 NG into FSX, and even longer than that for an A320, and even then PMDG were beaten to the finish line by the iFly one which released just slightly before it. In all honesty, PMDG whacking their 737 NG into FSX when they already had one for FS2004 which essentially shared very similar architecture and a virtually identical file structure to the later sim, probably wasn't nearly as different as banging their NG into MSFS has been in terms of addressing a completely new sim; this is somewhat indicative that even the developers are blasting along with getting things out for MSFS compared to previous FS iterations.

So far from being stalled, I would say MSFS is going stratospherically fast compared to what we've seen before with other sims, including those from Microsoft.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 6

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

18 hours ago, sanh said:

Mostly fixing what was broken in the previous releases. Not much in the new features department.

Don't use X-plane. Don't turn the topic into an x-plane v msfs topic pls.

Again like I mentioned I am talking about the core sim. I dont buy addon planes. I am using the FBW A320. I dont fly often enough to spend that kind of money on planes (nor have the time to learn to fly them properly).

As for the take up golf or fishing comments 🤔 I been using Flight Sims since MS5 and even when it stopped at FSX I moved on to 2 other sims (won't name them here to avoid a flame war) then back to MSFS which is the best out of the lot but it was the new stuff on each version that kept me going.

The key part of what i am saying - I think a lot of people don't buy addons like myself so rely on the core sim improving with new features to keep us entertained. When that starts to drop off we become bored. I have no plans to go to another sim or leave. Just have to wait until it does improve in that aspect. Not many who hold views like mine would come to a forum like this but there you go!

I enjoyed reading the responses though (and I mean that in a nice way 🙂 )

What core features of other sims keep you from “getting bored?” In msfs you can get into a plane and literally see the world. You csn see your house if its in a photogrammetry region. 

Seriously, constant updates and new features slowly being added.

im genuinely curious as to how other sims keep you from getting bored.

• Like 7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Must admit I haven't been on for a while but someone referred me to the freeware C-17 Globemaster and I must have a go with that.

Otherwise same as I've posted previously, waiting for some classic jet airliners like 727, DC10, Tristar etc.

Also as I wait for the game to catch up on six weeks of updates I do ponder if the save game/FMS bugs have been addressed, but other than that I'm eager to taxi out and start flying.

Xplane 11 (VR, study level aircraft, RC4, Pilot2ATC, add-ons, and collaborative community)

P3Dv5 (VR, study level aircraft, ProATC, and add-ons). I have spent a lot of money on add-ons.

Aerofly (VR, fun, fun, fun)

VTOL (VR, fun, fun, fun)

MSFS (VR, eye candy, PMDG 737, and GA)

DCS (VR, very complex, missions, love the carrier and F18/C)

Aerowinx (study level)

MrBitstFlyer said it correctly:

“Many flight simmers use both MSFS and other flight simulators and visit more than one forum. “

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sanh said:

I am becoming a little bored with MSFS. I hope they add some new core features soon rather than leave the core sim as is and just add new scenery or packs like top gun.

Boredom is of course very subjective. Years ago, I overheard a kid (thankfully not one of mine) at Disney World tell his parents he was bored. I felt so sorry for him, and wondered just what on earth he expected! After 20 months (not two years) of development, MSFS is far beyond anything I ever imagined would be possible in a flight sim -- an amazing, revolutionary achievement, the very antithesis of boring as far as I'm concerned. It has in fact changed considerably since it was launched, and the pace has not slowed. I have to ask if we are even talking about the same flight simulator.

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 5

My immediate reaction was i felt sorry for the parents, lol.

Subjectivity is a really good point though, and my guess is it explains some of the misinterpretations between thread posters sometimes.

1 hour ago, ahsmatt7 said:

What core features of other sims keep you from “getting bored?” In msfs you can get into a plane and literally see the world. You csn see your house if its in a photogrammetry region. 

Seriously, constant updates and new features slowly being added.

im genuinely curious as to how other sims keep you from getting bored.

Don't understand the question. When did I say other sims stop me from being bored?

If they did I wouldn't be here.  I would be on those forums.

When FSX died I moved to P3d. When the slow pace of change crept in from V3 onwards I moved to x-plane and then moved to MSFS on release and been here since. Always been a one sim guy.

Like I said I am sure I am in a minority here but I think a much larger number of simmers depend on core features rather than shell out another 50 bucks for another plane when the interest starts to wane. I would think that's why the sim community declined when FSX was discontinued even though the addons were still being pumped out.

Thanks for all the comments here from everyone. Whether you agree or not it was interesting to see the other view point.

Edited by sanh

2 minutes ago, sanh said:

Don't understand the question. When did I say other sims stop me from being bored?

If they did I wouldn't be here.  I would be on those forums.

When FSX died I moved to P3d. When the slow pace of change crept in from V3 onwards I moved to x-plane and then moved to MSFS on release and been here since. Always been a one sim guy.

Like I said I am sure I am in a minority here but I think a much larger number of simmers depend on core features rather than shell out another 50 bucks for another plane when the interest starts to wane. I would think that's why the sim community declined when FSX was discontinued even though the addons were still being pumped out.

Thanks for all the comments here from everyone. Whether you agree or not it was interesting to see the other view point.

Fair enough. You’re right, you never actually SAID that. It can be reasonably assumed and even implied that because you only mentioned one sim, that the other ones are holding your interest. 

Now that that is out of the way. What about the questions i asked you? Like I said, im genuinely curious. 

Also, while Im here, how did you get bored from those other sims? 

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

20 hours ago, sanh said:

Again like I mentioned I am talking about the core sim. I dont buy addon planes. I am using the FBW A320.  

Just my two pennies but you're primarily flying high and fast and that could be part of the problem. You're literally flying miles above some of the best things this sim has to offer.  There is one freeware aircraft that will give you just as much fidelity as the FBW but it will allow you to SLOW down and basically fly anywhere VFR (minimum ATC useage) This will let you really get to see the world you're missing at 39000ft.  Not only this, it will probably be the hardest aircraft for you to master but once you do it will by far be the most rewarding. In pure fun factor I'd put the FREEWARE Hype Performance Group Airbus H135 up against both the FBW and PMDGs.  (I would suggest getting the PMS GTN750 for $25 its worth it) Within 3 days of downloading it (mind you never having flown any helicopters in any sim prior) I was happily spending an additional $45 to get their A M A Z I N G Airbus H145. I bought it instead of the 737 (waiting for the -800 and later models) and have had NO REGRETS! IMO this sim shines for the low and slow VFR flyers...... This is the perfect kind of flying for you as you don't have to sit there and watch Otto do 90 percent of the work for hours.  There's so many places that you can take these helis that even carbon cubs can't get into.  They have amazingly good systems too like auto hover. With GTN integration they can navigate pretty much just like an airplane to include airways, rnav and ils approaches.   Give it a try man. It won't be easy at first, but I guarantee you it'll help you fall back in love with this sim all over again!!!  Most importantly even if you don't buy the H145, the freeware H135 will still change your life 😆 (sorry so long winded)...

• Like 2

Jevon 

7 hours ago, MHC130 said:

.  The key is to enjoy life and just fly. 

The REAL key is to log on to AVSIM and RANT. 

That’s the simmers life. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sanh said:

Always been a one sim guy.

Like I said I am sure I am in a minority here but I think a much larger number of simmers depend on core features rather than shell out another 50 bucks for another plane when the interest starts to wane.

You may well be right on a 'world sales' level i honestly dont know, but i would guess that Avsim members prioritise pay-ware add-ons more. Even at the expense of something else. Many payware add-ons are good for what you get generally imo

Not just Avsim members but many enthusiasts and new enthusiasts from all sorts of backgrounds. Thats my guess anyway

Edited by icewater5

1 hour ago, MHC130 said:

Xplane 11 (VR, study level aircraft, RC4, Pilot2ATC, add-ons, and collaborative community)

P3Dv5 (VR, study level aircraft, ProATC, and add-ons). I have spent a lot of money on add-ons.

Aerofly (VR, fun, fun, fun)

VTOL (VR, fun, fun, fun)

MSFS (VR, eye candy, PMDG 737, and GA)

DCS (VR, very complex, missions, love the carrier and F18/C)

Aerowinx (study level)

MrBitstFlyer said it correctly:

“Many flight simmers use both MSFS and other flight simulators and visit more than one forum. “

If by "eye Candy" I guess you mean realistic scenery compared to make believe, flatten out, wall paper type scenery that is seen in other sims, mile after mile after boring  mile. Pilot 2 ATC, is also available in MSFS, you left that out.. You also left out Study level aircraft, of which there are soon to be several. MSFS also has PF3, which is frequently updated, not so for Pro ATC. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

One thing missing from this thread is the discussion of patience.  OK 2 years is an extremely long time in today's terms but 15 to 20 years is way longer.

Besides I can rest assured that DLC and Sim updates are daily and ongoing.  I don't call that stalled but rather fantastic.

sp

• Like 1