Sign in to follow this  
sanh

Has MSFS stalled?

It's now been a couple of years since MSFS was released but the sim largely is the same as it was at release. Yes I know the world scenery updates is something and 3PDs have come out with new planes. 

However, as far as the core sim goes it hasn't changed much. Where are the new core sim features? New advanced weather? ATC? Windscreen wipers working? Remember when a new version came out every 2 years of the legacy series with significant advances?

I could get a copy of the original 2020 release and compare it with today's version  and visually or functionality wise it would be almost identical.

Considering nearly 200 people are working on it I was hoping for more.

I am becoming a little bored with MSFS. I hope they add some new core features soon rather than leave the core sim as is and just add new scenery or packs like top gun.

Edited by sanh
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

What?  Constant sim updates, world updates, server side updates, more and more third party addons (and higher fidelity than ever before), a steady flow of user mods (flightsim.to if you've never been)

Seems like the opposite of your post.

• Like 54
  • Upvote 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 minutes ago, sanh said:

Remember when a new version came out every 2 years with significant advances?

All these new versions over various years and rather decades did not make the FS franchise look as good and immersive as MSFS today. All what you list above is quite down on my wishlist as IMO MSFS has all what it needs. Can it be finetuned? Sure and MS is working on this. I believe in MS and Asobo. But obviously your mileage may or even does vary. 

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

As far as core features go, my guess is there is a lot that is happening in the background that we don’t know that much about. For example they are working on DX12 which will hopefully have a positive impact on performance, visuals and stability. 

They are also completely redoing the AI-live-traffic system and aim to release it at the end of this year. Apart from that many resources were used to improve the SDK for third party developers. And Sebastian, CEO of Asobo is constantly working on improving the flight model and atmospheric model. 

We have helicopters on the horizon and there is VR since launch day (which admittedly can still be improved)

All in all the future looks bright. Especially now things are really starting to happen.   

Edited by FlyerNYC
  • Like 6

We should merge this thread with the one wanting less updates.

• Like 27

12 minutes ago, sanh said:

It's now been a couple of years since MSFS was released but the sim largely is the same as it was at release. Yes I know the world scenery updates is something and 3PDs have come out with new planes. 

However, as far as the core sim goes it hasn't changed much. Where are the new core sim features? New advanced weather? ATC? Windscreen wipers working? Remember when a new version came out every 2 years of the legacy series with significant advances?

I could get a copy of the original 2020 release and compare it with today's version  and visually or functionality wise it would be almost identical.

Considering nearly 200 people are working on it I was hoping for more.

I am becoming a little bored with MSFS. I hope they add some new core features soon rather than leave the core sim as is and just add new scenery or packs like top gun.

Sshhhh!!! Don't! 🙃

• Like 2

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

28 minutes ago, sanh said:

I am becoming a little bored with MSFS

If this is the case then I humbly suggest golf or fishing maybe a better fit for you as a hobby.  Currently MSFS is by far the best overall flight simulator.  Xplane 12 will release soon and may, or may not, improve on some of the core flightsim features you mention.  Apart from these two, where will you go?

Every day I can't wait to fire up MSFS.  There have been many updates to the core sim and third party support is going through the roof.  Literally right at the time of your post, very detailed simulations of both airliners and GA aircraft have been released.  Real world traffic using AIG/PSXT/RealTraffic can fill the MSFS skies.  Instrumentation is also advancing quickly.  WTT G1000nxi, TDS GTN 750, PMS GTN 750.  DX-12 is around the corner, as is DLSS.

In all the years I have been using flight simulation, now is about the best and most exciting time - so if you really are bored with MSFS, you need a new hobby.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 20
  • Upvote 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

3 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

If this is the case then I humbly suggest golf or fishing maybe a better fit for you as a hobby.  Currently MSFS is by far the best overall flight simulator.  Xplane 12 will release soon and may, or may not, improve on some of the core flightsim features you mention.  Apart from these two, where will you go?

Every day I can't wait to fire up MSFS.  There have been many updates to the core sim and third party support is going through the roof.  Literally right at the time of your post, very detailed simulations of both airliners and GA aircraft have been released.  Real world traffic using AIG/PSXT/RealTraffic can fill the MSFS skies.  Instrumentation is also advancing quickly.  WTT G1000nxi, TDS GTN 750, PMS GTN 750.  DX-12 is around the corner, as is DLSS.

In all the years I have been using flight simulation, now is about the best and most exciting time - so if you really are bored with MSFS, you need a new hobby.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another XP vs MSFS. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It’s such a strange month to post this topic.

We’ve never seen such a deluge of high-quality addons. Fenix is about to come out. There’s more quality payware than any of us can find time to fly properly.

Maybe (a big maybe) if you restrict yourself to core sim only it’s possible to feel disappointed, but flight sims have always been about the larger ecosystem.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I must be using a different version of the Sim , my version looks and runs just fine . 

• Like 1

What a bizarre thing to think after the 9th sim update just completed, we have the 10th world update in a couple of days which Jorg said would be the most detailed yet, 3 highly anticipated study-level tubes just dropped with one more, perhaps the most highly anticipated, due within a matter of days…

Personally I’m having the time of my simming life, and it just keeps getting better (not withstanding the odd frustration).

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another XP vs MSFS. 

The poster specifically said he was bored with MSFS.  Most of my reply was to show how far MSFS has come since release.  The poster specifically mentioned certain things that are making him bored.  My mention of XP-12 was specifically to point out apart from that product and MSFS, where else could he go to improve his enthusiasm for flight simulation.

Nothing in my post alluded to XP-12 being a better product or that MSFS was somehow lacking, so no grounds at all for your post.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Thanks @sanh, I needed a good laugh!😁

Seriously though, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't expect the majority of people to agree with you. Whatever any of our complaints, one thing it's hard to argue with is that MSFS is a sim that is constantly developing, even if there are some backward steps along the way.

• Like 4

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Approaching Naples, in my favorite GA Aircraft. And this is even before Italy gets a WU this month. 

spacer.png

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 6

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310