Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Turbulence

Has any one noticed that since SU9 there is a wild and crazy turbulence that affects all aircraft as soon as they are airborne?...this is also the case with payware and also default airplanes...the GA aircraft are the most affected.

Its very annoying and disturbing especially for the vfr pilots among us (me included)...the whole vfr experience is taking a huge hit with this new wild and crazy over done "turbulence" that was added with the SU9 introduction.  I mean I agree that flying on rails is not totally realistic either...but common...they have clearly over exaggerated it with the new turbulence injection.

Is any one else also experiencing this?...and if so...has any one found a way to fix/control it?...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

Has any one noticed that since SU9 there is a wild and crazy turbulence that affects all aircraft as soon as they are airborne?

Not at all here.  In fact I did a video just yesterday to capture how realistic I thought turbulence effects were but I was up at altitude flying over Rockies.

• Like 6

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

Has any one noticed that since SU9 there is a wild and crazy turbulence that affects all aircraft as soon as they are airborne?...this is also the case with payware and also default airplanes...the GA aircraft are the most affected.

Its very annoying and disturbing especially for the vfr pilots among us (me included)...the whole vfr experience is taking a huge hit with this new wild and crazy over done "turbulence" that was added with the SU9 introduction.  I mean I agree that flying on rails is not totally realistic either...but common...they have clearly over exaggerated it with the new turbulence injection.

Is any one else also experiencing this?...and if so...has any one found a way to fix/control it?...

I haven't seen this at all, and I fly the Cessna 310 a few flights a day all over the US and Europe. Turbulence feels real to me. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Noel said:

Not at all here.  In fact I did a video just yesterday to capture how realistic I thought turbulence effects were but I was up at altitude flying over Rockies.

I flew around the Anchorage area last week, over the mountains, and there was a great deal of turbulence, but in that area, in real life, I experienced the same thing. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

10 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

I fly only GA at the moment, but I do not experience any wild or crazy turbulence just after take off, or at any time.  I am just getting mild turbulence some of the time, so I often say there isn't enough!  I'm flying the Milviz C310R and the FSW C414.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Flying both A320 and C172 a fair amount in SU9. Turbulence seems quite realistic to me. Depending on time of day and season, geography etc, a light aircraft can be a bumpy ride.

• Like 5

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Around here everything fine, nice and smooth... unless when it's expected IRL too.

I think MFS is doing a nice job at reproducing the turbulence effects right now.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 4

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am not having this problem but I've heard of this enough after SU9 to think that some combination of things is making for unrealistic turbulence for some people.

I'd try the standard recommendations, like disabling all addons, etc. and seeing if that helps.

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I flew around the Anchorage area last week, over the mountains, and there was a great deal of turbulence, but in that area, in real life, I experienced the same thing. 

I just flew from Denver to Vegas and crossing the mountains was a little bumpy, but I actually thought it was a little weak,

Nothing unusual on TO or landing, though. Not counting crosswinds, of course. I've had some brutal ones to deal with lately. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I still find it quite strange that this is bothering some people and others not...I mean aren't we all using the same sim after all?...

I have tried all recommendations like switching flight models from legacy to modern...and also deleting wind layers in the weather settings...but all to no avail...as soon as my GA airplanes are airborne the new added "turbulence" attacks the aircraft with no mercy!...the poor airplanes constantly wobble up and down as if they were possessed!...this was not the case before SU9.

Maybe I should make a small video to demonstrate what I am experiencing.

26 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

Maybe I should make a small video to demonstrate what I am experiencing.

That would be helpful because your 'possessed' aircraft may seem normal to us 🙂

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

It does seem that there has been an increase in turbulence since SU9 - though I believe it is actually closer to my real world experience now.  Early in the history of the sim they certainly over-baked it - I was flying over the Alps in the TBM and had the wings torn off by extreme turbulence.

Today I had a great flight - I took off with thunderstorms nearby and had a fairly busy departure due to gusting crosswinds.  This was very well done and reminded me of actual flights I had made under similar conditions.  On my approach I had to work a little wind shear so I was busy on the throttle.  Other times it has been calm or steady on winds and the flight was fairly smooth.  It seems like they have turbulence dialed in nicely.

I do recall that some of the roughest flights I've had in the real world as PIC have simply been the constant bounce of updrafts on warm or hot days.  Just passing over a highway on a hot day would literally give me a hard kick in the pants.

• Like 3

Randall Rocke

30 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

as soon as my GA airplanes are airborne the new added "turbulence" attacks the aircraft with no mercy!...the poor airplanes constantly wobble up and down as if they were possessed!...this was not the case before SU9.

I fly GA a lot, not experienced this at all.

Specifically which GA planes are doing this? Are they MSFS default or are you using MODS? Or are you using payware add on planes?

Also where are you flying - same place most of the time?

6 minutes ago, KERNEL32 said:

I fly GA a lot, not experienced this at all.

Specifically which GA planes are doing this? Are they MSFS default or are you using MODS? Or are you using payware add on planes?

Also where are you flying - same place most of the time?

I mostly fly in the default Cessna 172 G1000...taking of from KSEA climb to about 3000ft

Captain, what kind of controller are you using? It might be "noisy" causing input that isn't coming from you. Just for grins, try very large neutral zones on the x, y, and z axis and see if you still get tossed around.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440