Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I’ve been a bit confused by all the concern about performance. 

Perhaps that’s because I chose “balanced” at the time of first setup.

So many people here worried about performance, but most do not seem to want to compromise even a little bit!

MSFS can be such a strange beast. 

I installed the Fenix A320 and went from Cardiff to Greece - noticed no difference in performance to any other aircraft I have.  My FPS is locked to 33 and that's what I had for the entire flight.  Others say performance tanked on their systems.

• Like 4

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Have you noticed how it taxis straight as an arrow?  Used to think it was Asobo bug, (hard too taxi). Now not so sure

-B

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wise87 said:

I've seen this happen to me twice in the PMDG. I think it's a MSFS2020 issue. 

Interesting! After SU9 hot fix I didn't have problems like that with PMDG. So far only with Fenix

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

4 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Has anyone noticed PFD/MFD performance degradation over time? I tried KSFO-PHOG real time 5.4 hours. Upon approach and descent both PFD and MFD were stuttering while airplane itself was pretty good. Just pilot and copilot display were having an issue.

Yes, I noticed this, and it went away when I switched rendering unit to my cpu. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

There are still bugs to iron out probably, plus the issues inherent to MSFS being a moving target right now. Time will fix everything hopefully, but this is looking solid overall, pretty happy with it. Now where's that MD-11?

Edited by Nuno Pinto

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Surprisingly no issues and seems to work fine and smooth at 30 FPS locked except a few stutters while lining up. I'm not running traffic. Fenix options are at default. I can here the GPU fans going full speed. Happens with FBW but not with PMDG 737. I have problems with my TCA flightpack throttle quardrant config, but that's something for a different thread.

System details: I5 9600K/F (no OC, no onboard gfx), 1660ti, 4K 32" display

MSFS settings at 4K with 65% render scaling, all other options at High End defaults.

90% of these "my perf is terrible" would be eliminated if people ran locked @ 30FPS w vsynch. You can dial up most of the eye candy too and run smooth and stutter free. Instead you want 45pfs which is hardly noticeable anyways. to each their own ... 

• Upvote 2

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

30 minutes ago, wiler said:

90% of these "my perf is terrible" would be eliminated if people ran locked @ 30FPS w vsynch. You can dial up most of the eye candy too and run smooth and stutter free. Instead you want 45pfs which is hardly noticeable anyways. to each their own ... 

I need a min of 60 for VR. I get this easily with every single AC except the Fenix. Back in the FBW now

• Like 1

Lukas Dalton

Nvidia 3800 Ti. I run 4k at 100% scaling. 60FPS locked but VSync locks that at 30. AIG at 70%. KLAS-KJFK, landed in overcast and rain conditions after the 4 hour 10 min flight. 

Smooth as silk, no stutters, no frame drops. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

7 hours ago, Sethos said:

Sounds like you just need to hit the settings on the video Bob and slow it down to 0.75x or 0.5x

I watch Youtube on my TV, and no speed adjustment there ( Via my Roku Box). I just looked, and on my PC, I can adjust the speed. Thanks for the tip.  

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I mentioned in another thread here but in terms of performance I assigned the displays to my onboard GPU and gained around 5-8fps.  I’m now running around 35fps smoothly which aligns with my other complex payware airliners (of which I suddenly have many lol).

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

So I'm just reporting in to give you another example.

Disclaimer: I do not count FPS in MSFS, I only look whether it is smooth or not. 

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X overclocked to 4.2 GHZ, a 1660TI and 32Gig of RAM. I run at 1080p. Usually I'm exclusively flying in VR, but for my first try I want to test stabilty and performance outside of it. I run basically every setting on ULTRA and my TLOD is at 250.

I'm on my first flight with the Fenix and performance is varied. In certain situations, it was not good, in others it is just as good as any other heavy aircraft.

I started in Düsseldorf with the Justsim Add-On installed and AIG running at 100%. I switched off the virtual cabin and run the Displays on Balanced mode.

On the ground performance was smooth. Not as smooth as with other Aircraft, but well within acceptable parameters.

After lift-off though during climb out the performance dropped. So bad actually that I tried the other peformance option, and even try to offload the displays to the GPU. Nothing helped much.

In cruise the performance increased again, lower as on the ground at the stand, but better than during climb. One hour into the flight performance has increased futher to normal levels. Everything relatively smooth again, even in clouds. Not as good as in the PMDG 737, but not bad either.

I'd say there is definately room for improvement, but it is not as bad as some made it out to be.

Am I surprised that it does not run as well as other aircraft? Not really. The company runs against competitors who had years of experience in perfecting their products on the performance end on various platforms and where "only" faced with having to adapt their code to the new platform.

Fenix built this thing from the ground up and found a clever, although as it seems more system taxing, solution to have the systems do more than can be done internally at this point. So I fully expect improvements on the performance front as development progresses. Maybe they will be able to integrate their systems completely into MSFS without the use of an external program at some point in the more far future. Who knows?

Anyone else getting CTDs with the Fenix? I try to check their Discord, to no avail. Anyway, I think it *might* be my overclock settings. It seems the Fenix is very demanding on CPU. Usually the sim just becomes unresponsive then crashes to desktop. But during one flight I got the dreaded BSOD, indicating a hardware failure. My system has been stable for a long time with a current overclock of 4.9, but I don't think it's been so thoroughly tested as with the Fenix. For now I've increased Vcore slightly by 0.2 volts. 

I haven't had this problem with the FBW, PMDG or any other plane. 

I did send a support request to them a day ago or so, but no reply. Guess their support system is getting overwhelmed. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

15 hours ago, Flic1 said:

Try setting the Render Displays to your GPU and setting the Display Quality to 'Performance' in the Fenix Configurator.  I just tried a short test flight and it seemed better than my flight last night as far as the display lag goes.  I am amazed at the overall smoothness of the plane though. My short test flight out of KDCA up to 10,000 and back around for an ILS landing and there wasn't a stutter to be found sitting right at 30 fps.  

I play around with the fenix app and yes on my rig selecting the GPU as the render display is the best option.

CPU make the display sluggish, selecting the intel onboard GPU make the display freeze totaly.

So it's a bit of a pity because I'm GPU limited and so was expecting a better performance with the option to have the CPU or IGPU handle the display but either something is wrong with my IGPU setting or the Fenix idea is good but not properly implemented or a least not usefull for my particular case.

Anyway with GPU selected it's reasonably smooth

Think I got my CTDs sorted out. I hope at least. It seems very likely it was an unstable overclock. Instead of increasing voltages further risking higher temperatures and CPU degradation over time, I decided to reduce clock speed from 4.9 to 4.8ghz. Just completed the first flight in 24 hours or so. Funny thing is I didn't notice this with other aircraft, and I've been on 4.9 for months. It could be an indication of how demanding the Fenix is, CPU-wise. 

EDIT: Got my GPU running the displays, and set display quality to "balanced". It sort of makes sense to not strain the CPU more than necessary. Also locked FPS to 30 after trying out 40 for a while. TLOD 200 OLOD 200 ( I reduce when flying into certain major hubs to maintain 30fps). AIG models with Asobo Live traffic. 

If I can avoid further CTDs, I think I've managed to fine-tune performance for the Fenix pretty well, achieving overall stable performance with some trade-offs. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”