Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Navigraph needs to offer a 1 time pay to own option

Not everyone of us needs a subscription based for the charts services. I wish Navigraph would offer an additional option for those who like to use the Navigraph charts service on just that 1 month. I don't need to have the latest charts every month. In fact I'm fine with just downloading one cycle and using that for many years to come. If Navigraph were to offer something ilke this, it would attract more users. Imagine paying like a $30 one time fee and you get to download and keep all those charts for that cycle for the rest of your life with the ability to use the navigraph charts service on the EFB and app as well.

• Like 7

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Not going to happen, that's the nature of the beast. That's the service the offer and that's what makes them money. (would you give up a service that makes you money each month forever) In my opinion its a small price to pay for having everything integrated and at the click of a finger.

You can subscribe for one month, print every chart you want and build a folder. Most charts are also available free somewhere on the interweb, but might not be up to date.

Edited by garlicbread11
  • Like 10

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

4 minutes ago, garlicbread11 said:

You can subscribe for one month, print every chart you want and build a folder. Most charts are also available free somewhere on the interweb, but might not be up to date.

That would take forever and not to mention the cost of ink and paper. I wish you can just keep all the charts that you bought for that particular cycle only.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Keep in mind also that

• They have monthly costs to keep the servers running.
  • Under a "pay to own" option, they would have to store the charts and navdata for every cycle indefinitely, instead of just the data for the current cycle. This increases their server costs for the very customers from whom they would only be receiving a single payment that needs to cover the server costs indefinitely.
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the new world of software rental.  As a photographer, I used to be able to buy a boxed version of Photoshop and Lightroom and be done with it; now, it's $11/month, with the programs no longer working if you don't keep paying, which also means I lose access to my own photos.

It sucks, but it's the way things are going.  I thoroughly expect Windows, MacOS, etc. to eventually move to that model.  I'm frankly surprised MSFS was available as a one-time purchase; before it was released, I was assuming it would be only available by subscription.  (And I didn't mean Xbox Game Pass, I meant a separate charge just for the sim.)

Edited by JDWalley
  • Like 4

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

I understand this quote. now, "You will own nothing and be happy" from the WEF.

Edited by captain420
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, captain420 said:

That would take forever and not to mention the cost of ink and paper.

I am a subscriber. I print all of my charts out regularly! But i don't use a printer. I use a free software called cute pdf. You assign it as your default printer and it prints all your charts digitally in pdf format.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

tpewpb-6.png

It's a service, not a product.

Unless you want once all the charts and don't require updates. 

You can have the Navigraph app on a iPad and set it up right next to your PC screen. 
I see no need to print, even electronically.

If I am flying the FBW A32NX, I don’t even have a need for that, I just use the EFB in the cockpit which is very user friendly. Just pin all the charts you expect to use on a flight before departure and they are  them all just one click away at anytime.

Navigraph is the one subscription platform I am ok to pay for but when you do the math over a couple years, yes, costs many times more than a fleet of PMDG 737’s.

Edited by RaptyrOne
  • Like 2

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 Gaming ATX / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU750W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR; 27” 1440p Monitor

1 hour ago, JDWalley said:

Welcome to the new world of software rental.  As a photographer, I used to be able to buy a boxed version of Photoshop and Lightroom and be done with it; now, it's $11/month, with the programs no longer working if you don't keep paying, which also means I lose access to my own photos.

You bought Photoshop? It was over 1000$ once. I’m glad they offer me an affordable alternative now which they keep up to date. 
Felix has chosen to give away their plane for almost free. Let us see, if they can afford to keep it updated with upcoming progress in MSFS later.

• Like 1

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

30 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Current standards are based upon current market conditions. There isn't any real competition for Navigraph. The moment that changes, the rules change. 

Aerosoft NavData Pro and Charts?

I might be wrong since I don't use Aerosofts Service, but this is exactly what @captain420 is looking for?
https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simulation/flight-simulator-x-steam/tools-missions/1485/navdatapro-charts-one-day-access

For just 4€ you have access to charts (and navdata?) for a single day without any subscription.

When flying online, you can buy updated navdata say every quarter, makes it 16€ per year and your navdata is 95% correct.

Just put in the remarks "AIRAC 2203" when you're not using the latest one and the ATC will take care of you if there's something fundamentally changed since your last nav data update.

Plus: I personally do prefer the Lufthansa LIDO Chart layout over the Navigraph / Jeppesen one after using Jeppesen for my like first then years of flightsimming.

navdata-charts-09.jpg

Edited by Konterhalbe

6 minutes ago, flyingpauls said:

You bought Photoshop? It was over 1000$ once.

Not necessarly, back than I was lucky enought to get a Adobe Creative Suite CS5 copy for student fee which was pretty cheap. I regret to have't bought the whole package including Premiere Pro and After Affects. No one could've known back then what the future models will be like.

Anyway, I wished Navigraph would offer such a service, even I understand that this will never happen. Nevertheless, 7,5 Euros per month for Charts is not a bargain (despite the fact that they are jeppesen charts), which is the reason why I don't have a subsription right now. A price tag of 5 euro would seem more reasonable to me.

Back then when navigraph offered LIDO charts they had an option to download the whole chart (per airport), so I downloaded all of them and use that for now. There aren't up-to-date, but in most cases that doesn't matter. Maybe the aersoft lido option does provide such an option, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, I could recommand Chartfox. They often don't look pretty but do their job.

• Like 1

I think the current method works, and for what you get its quite good. I have mine on an Ipad open every flight and it connects to the simulator flawlessly.

If I feel like I'm not going to be doing much flying because of life, I cancel the sub and then renew when I have time for simming again. Perfect IMO. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Konterhalbe said:

For just 4€ you have access to charts (and navdata?) for a single day without any subscription.

That would become a lot more expensive than Navigraph real soon...? What's the use of having access for one day? You might be better of paying 3 euro's more for a month but of course that is a subscription again. 

I myself disliked and opposed to a Navigraph subscription for ages and bought a one month sub when needed (maybe once a year or so) but I kept doubting about it and a week ago I purchased a one year sub (in preparation of buying the Fenix): saves quite a bit of money per year (compared to one months subs all year long) and saves me the headache I get from doubting about it. 😉