Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Navigraph needs to offer a 1 time pay to own option

Unfortunately recurrent revenue streams are enormously enticing to business.... and the future. Heck, I'm stuck with CS6 because I refuse to pay Adobe each month.... your choice, but I bit the bullet for Navigraph.  It's a nice thought, but I doubt will get any traction...

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

When  you update the sim, you run the EFB data base again, and it updates. 

But those aren't real charts and a lot of information is missing... It's nice but for me not a real replacement for Navigraph.

normally i wouldn't say this, but in this case i really think a subscription service is the ideal way for both customers and the company to operate Navigraph. the very nature of the product is something that constantly requires updates, monitoring and correcting for errors, and improving functionality. i also feel the price is very fair considering all the tools and flexibility you get for ~$9 a month.

• Like 2

Indeed. You also have to keep in mind that the subscription thing is not Navigraph's idea. It's the charts provider Jeppesen who wants a subscription from Navigraph. So they are just passing it onto us.

Do you rememeber when the AIRAC used to be free? Same prinicple. For whatever reason the U.S. Government decided that it should be hidden behind a monthly paywall, and here we are now.

It's not their business model and their current model seems to be working well for them so it's unlikely to change.

It's one of those annual subscriptions that renews in the background for me and that I certainly feel like I get my money worth.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I hope Navigraph will soon finish the VFR charts and also the weather on the map, but it's taking such a long time

I buy a month's worth of Navigraph when I have time to use MSFS 2020, I don't game much during spring, summer, and fall - prefer to be outside, so it't really only between November and March that I make use of Navigraph charts.

That said, subscriptions are like a vampire permanently sucking up blood.

I also love the "it's only a few cents a day", or "only a couple of bucks" a month argument.

I have an idea: here is my bank account #: kindly deposit a "few cents a day" into it. I mean, it'll only add up to a "few $ each month".

At the end of the month I'll send you a flowery poem, so you'll definitely be getting your money's worth.

😄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Way back, I purchased the whole world (cd's) sold by SIMCharts. I printed the most used destinations I flew in and out of. Those were the days.

fly safe

ZFoYDcR.jpg

Edited by mokeiko
  • Like 4

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

21 hours ago, tup61 said:

But those aren't real charts and a lot of information is missing... It's nice but for me not a real replacement for Navigraph.

What specifically  is missing that would be needed to conduct a flight? 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

59 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I appreciate SimPlates - I had it on my system before FS2020 and Navigraph integration with SimBrief, etc. - I still use it to do a quick check-up on some airports before I do planning.

However, it has become very apparent that SimPlates is in no way up-to-date.  Every week, I run into airports that have changed or added approaches and the SimPlates charts are wrong.  At many smaller airports, RNAV approaches have been added and SimPlates doesn't have them at all.  SP does update from time to time, but Navigraph updates on every AIRAC cycle and is basically spot-on.  I still find SP handy for some things, but Navigraph is something I wouldn't want to fly without these days.

Randall Rocke

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well, you miss out on information that can make it all a bit more realistic, like charts for noise abatements or radar minimum altitudes, written additional information that might explain procedures a bit better, tons of pages with airport briefings which can be fun to read while cruising just to give you a bit more immersion and realism. Stuff like that. Of course you can conduct a flight without it but hey, lots of people conduct flights without any charts at all. It's just a matter of what you like to do in a sim. I can understand it fully if your EFB is great for you but I like the additional stuff Navigraph brings (specially now I am getting the Fenix and I can check all charts in its EFB).